Chops

I haven't tried Chops, but Portofino's is definitely worth it and we plan to try Chops AND Portofino's on our next cruise. I wouldn't do it every night, because we also enjoy the dining room, but its definitely worth going to at least once.

If you don't mind spending the extra money on food and skipping a night from the dining room, then go for it. It's a more intimate experience with a higher quality of food. We went to both restaurants and enjoyed the experience very much. However, we'll be taking our girls (and baby) on our next cruise and may opt out of the specialty restaurants since they'll be with us and aren't allowed to go (we may get babysitting - time will tell). Will we miss it if we don't go? Hmm... probably - there was some pretty good food (especially in Portofino), but I know we'd still have a wonderful time on our cruise! Have fun deciding!

The steaks were good, but the side dishes were not all that great. The lobster bisque was better in the dining room. We enjoyed Portofino's better.

And, you can always get a really good steak at home.:rolleyes:

Personally I didn't think Chops was that great. On the other hand, my husband really enjoyed it.

I enjoy eating in the dining room. I liked our waiter and I liked our table mates. I don't like wondering what we are missing in the dining room. We won't be going to a specialty restaurant on our next cruise because I really can't justify the expense with all the kids (yes, you can bring kids...it just needs to be right away when it opens)

The next cruise with just me and my husband we will probably try Portofinos just to say we did it. But like I said above I will wonder what we are missing at our table in the dining room.

I guess if you really want a quiet dinner with just your spouse it would be nice, but we go out alone at home plenty so it didn't matter if we had alone time while dining.

We feel that it is definitely worth it. Of course, you have to realize that we eat out 5-6 nights a week-and we are not talking fast food. The cost of Chops is only a drop in the bucket.

Look. Here it is in a nutshell, IMHO.

Chops is a luxurious dining experience. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, them by all means go ahead. We enjoyed our food there. But beware, in the end, the grand total was not cheap---you must add tip and drinks. (I cannot imagine NOT tipping there).

Once was enough, though, for us.

When you are told "it is a 2 hour experience", RCL is not kidding.

Hold on-let me zip up my flame retardant suite...okay, ready, here I go.

The service is a schosh TOO good. Just a tad over the top.

I almost got the feeling servers were auditioning. It was weird. I have been around the entertainment industry all my life (my Dad was in the business). These folks reminded me of people looking for their big break. The service was almost a "performance".

Hold on--now I'm dousing myself with a bucket of water...okay here goes... All-in-all the experience was way too long. They talked too much.

Once again, just my opinion. :)

I have always enjoyed Chops and Portofino's and will go to both again at least once on my next RCCL cruise. I agree that in Chops the sides are not tremendously exciting; you can get better in a steak-house on land. But I like the better quality of meat, the quieter atmosphere and the service. It's a nice break from the dining room and a great way to celebrate your vacation, a birthday, etc.

Just my two cents.........

We (husband & I) just ate at Portofinos on Thursday(4/24) on Liberty of the Seas and it is definitely worth it. The food is a cut above. We had a nice table for 2 overlooking ocean we each got the filet cut which has a wonderful reduction sauce cooked to perfection and very generous portion. Service was great. I had shrimp rissotto for appetizer and a mesculan salad w/apples/walnuts, DH had creamy mushroom soup and the house salad. For dessert DH flourless chocolate cake - terrific presentation and I had dessert sampler(mini samples of 4 desserts including tirimisu). My husband agreed that it was well worth it and said if we cruise again he would do both specialty restaurants. I do not think you'll be sorry!

Is there a lower age level for children in Chops? If so, is it based on the time of the night?

Those that have been able to pre-book via the website, said that you could book children under the age of 13 for seatings before 7pm.

Those that have been able to pre-book via the website, said that you could book children under the age of 13 for seatings before 7pm.

RCCL also updated the FAQ Section of ther Website:

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome; children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. Thereafter children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

###

Well, I'm sold on going to at least one of the specialty restaurants after reading these posts. It is just me and DH cruising and I like the idea of some extra personal service. So which is the better of the two and what is the attire? Can you pre-book on a 5 night explorer of the seas ny to bermuda? and if yes, when? Thanks in advance for any input!!

Look. Here it is in a nutshell, IMHO.

Chops is a luxurious dining experience. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, them by all means go ahead. We enjoyed our food there. But beware, in the end, the grand total was not cheap---you must add tip and drinks. (I cannot imagine NOT tipping there).

Once was enough, though, for us.

When you are told "it is a 2 hour experience", RCL is not kidding.

Hold on-let me zip up my flame retardant suite...okay, ready, here I go.

The service is a schosh TOO good. Just a tad over the top.

I almost got the feeling servers were auditioning. It was weird. I have been around the entertainment industry all my life (my Dad was in the business). These folks reminded me of people looking for their big break. The service was almost a "performance".

Hold on--now I'm dousing myself with a bucket of water...okay here goes... All-in-all the experience was way too long. They talked too much.

Once again, just my opinion. :)

I agree - our service in the specialty restaurants has been mixed. Often they are just inexperienced, trying too hard and wind up being annoying. Your experience wasn't that the service was "too good" - good service would have been unobtrusive and not gotten on your nerves, LOL! They were just...as you said..."performing" in the way they thought appropriate for "fine dining". We had one waitress on Jewel that constantly interrupted us with inane blathering, way over the top. Give it a try again, though; you may have better luck!! The food is often better quality than in the DR.

we ate at both on the Navigator last month. Portofino was worth every penny, Chops was not. The meat was high quality, but not seasoned at all. The sides were not great. If you want a steak served with better service, go to Ruth's Chris steak house. Next year when we do Freedom, we will do Portofino again. Will not give Chops the 2nd chance.

Something I just found out, is that Chops is not available on all Ships. Per the RC website Chops is only available currently on Freedom Class ships, Mariner, Navigator and a few of the Radiance class. I was a little surprised it wasn't on Explorer but I guess we'll have to try Portofino's instead :D

Warren and Yvonne

Well, I'm sold on going to at least one of the specialty restaurants after reading these posts. It is just me and DH cruising and I like the idea of some extra personal service. So which is the better of the two and what is the attire? Can you pre-book on a 5 night explorer of the seas ny to bermuda? and if yes, when? Thanks in advance for any input!!

The dress code is Smart Casual. RCCL just started to offer pre-booking for their Specialty Restaurants. Right now it is available on the Freedom, the schedule and additional information is on their website. Click on Customer Support, FAQ's, then Food and Beverage.

###

Just having gone on the ship, I recommend not going to Chops. Chops was different from the dining room, a different atmosphere, good service and nice, but overall the food wasn't worth the money. Also, people raved about the deserts which in my opinion weren't that great. It is good to change things up a bit and eat at a more private place (then the dining room) but probably it is best to save your money and just eat at the dining room!

Archived