Cuban cigars?

terri1020

Yes, you can get Cubans in Bermuda. DH's favorite shop is Chatham House in Hamilton on the corner of Front and Burnaby street. It's walking distance from where the ferry drops you off. Turn right out of the ferry terminal and walk maybe 5 or 6 blocks. Chatham House will be on your left. And, yes, you can bring them on the ship. You just can't bring them back into the U.S.

• Yes, you can buy Cuban cigars in Bermuda (see caveat below)
  • Yes, you can take them on the ship, since the ship is not in the US and the ship is not US flagged (ie the ship isn't American.)
  • If you are not a US citizen, you can even take them back with you, even through the US as long as they are for personal use.
  • If you are a US citizen, not only are you not allowed to bring them back, you are not legally allowed to purchase them anywhere. US law actually makes it illegal for US citizens to purchase Cuban goods.

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no.

The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

US law actually makes it illegal for US citizens to purchase Cuban goods.

Give me a break. You are in Bermuda, for crying out loud. Bermuda laws apply there.

Even if that were true, if you pay in cash and do not attempt to bring them back, that law would be impossible to enforce.

Give me a break. You are in Bermuda, for crying out loud. Bermuda laws apply there.

Even if that were true, if you pay in cash and do not attempt to bring them back, that law would be impossible to enforce.

Buy em every where I go in the carribean and smoke em on the ships...usually bring 4 or 5 back and just throw em in the suitcase.

Heck,,,,, all ya gotta do is take the band off and nobody but you knows where the heck they came from anyway!

I'm a cigar smoker who buy them when I can, and yes in Bermuda. Charham has them, please check them out first. There humidor just (to me) doesn't keep them moist. And I personally don't bring them back to the US. I smoke them in Bermuda and on the ship. The penalty is to high for me to pay if caught. And I can say I have smoked then all around the world. (But the best were rolled here in the US in Miami.)

Hamilton has two nice cigar stores, Chatham House and Cuarenta Bucaneros. Cubans available at both, but pricey.

Yes, it is illegal for US citizens to buy Cuban cigars, but who's checking in Bermuda? Buy them, and enjoy. Some people bring them back, by removing the cuban bands, and putting other ones on.

It's not MY law, it's US law. Certain US laws travel with you and this is one of them. It's entirely unenforceable, but it is the law for US Citizens.

I'm Canadian. I can pick up a Cuban cigar at the corner store. Not a big deal for me.

It's entirely unenforceable, but it is the law for US Citizens.

I understand, and I even understand the reasons for not supporting Cuban products, but as far as requiring US citizens to be observant of US laws in foreign countries, for something as trivial as a cigar... well, that's pushing things a bit too far.

Hopefully, the Cuban situation will change soon and this will not be an issue anymore! :)

I don't even smoke cigars, but I just might start -- just to taunt Uncle Sam!

just don't charge them. No reason to create a paper trail. BTW the fine is up to $10,000 but the average fine is about $1,000. Its technically a crime but unless you are wanted for something else which they can't catch you on they rarely charge people who self import for their own use with a crime.

Thanks to all who answered my question. After reading the posts here, he plans to remove the bands and put the cigars into a dominican cigar box he will bring with him from home. The cigars are for his own enjoyment, he is NOT bringing them home to sell.

Terri

Archived