Venice Airport to Port

Has anyone taken the bus at the Venice airport to the port? How long does it take and how painful is it? Does Celebrity have a shuttle running at P Le Roma (even if your ship is boarding one day and leaving the next)? If so, is it easy to locate? How much is the cab from P Le Roma or how far is the walk?

We have done some research on this. Any other tips (below are the instructions we have)? We definitely do not want to spend the money on a water taxi and the Airport boat seems as expensive as a land taxi, only much longer.

ATVO (blue coach)

Directions from Marco Polo airport to Venice-Piazzale Roma Square

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...port_buses.htm

ATVO (blue coach) Takes about 20 minutes from the airport to Roma Square

This bus costs €3,00 and is handy if you're carrying more than one suitcase or backpack, since it has a luggage compartment underneath where the driver will stow your bags. You may also want to take this bus early or late in the day, when local commuters are riding the public bus. The stop is located between the Arrivals terminal and the Departures area. (Caution: Buses for Padova and certain other locations are also blue, so look for the "Venezia" sign before boarding.)

You're supposed to buy a ticket from the public-transportation ticket counter in the arrivals terminal. Validate your ticket in the stamping machine next to the bus stop.

If the ticket booth is closed, proceed directly to the bus and ask the driver for a biglietto. Travel time to the Piazzale Roma is 20 minutes. For more information, see the Marco Polo-Venezia pages at ATVO.it.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crocierePasseggeri.jsp?n=1

SHUTTLE BUS TO/FROM MARITTIMA CRUISE TERMINALS - P.LE ROMA

Operating during the days when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers: every 15/20 minutes. The service is provided on Cruise Operator's request.

FROM P.LE ROMA

P.le Roma is the only part of the city of Venice that can be reached by car. The cruise and ferry terminals can be reached by:

- Taxi cab

- Bus n. 6/ stopping just outside the entrance to the passenger port. On Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays, when ships are performing homeport operations, a free of charge shuttle bus to/from Piazzale Roma- Cruise Terminal is available every 15/20 minutes for cruise passengers.

Thank you!

Dunno about Celebrity.

I would guess it is about a mile to the cruise ships - some of that will be going down a ramp.

A taxi might have been 15-20 euros with luggage), but I forget. I can tell you they will be most helpful with your luggage and will charge for each and every piece they put in the trunk. It adds up fast

Thank you for the pictures! I was worried about finding the bus as I'm flying in solo. Do you recall if the machine took Euro coins only or provide changes for a 20 Euro bill? My bank will not provide coins so I want to certain to have coins on hand if necessary. Maybe I'll have to spring for a pack of Italian gum before I leave the concourse.

Thank you for the pictures! I was worried about finding the bus as I'm flying in solo. Do you recall if the machine took Euro coins only or provide changes for a 20 Euro bill? My bank will not provide coins so I want to certain to have coins on hand if necessary. Maybe I'll have to spring for a pack of Italian gum before I leave the concourse.

I had no clue what I was doing and the bus driver took care of it (with my money). I know I had no coins before. Not sure if I did after? :confused: ;)

I am also certain I was not ripped off (I remember those occasions), so I think you will be fine.

Anyway, the bus is very easy to find.

We actually took the train in from Milan, then a water taxi to port from the train station-the only reason I'm telling you this is not sure if there is a train out of the airport-it was a very easy commute via train/water taxi anyway

ms, at VCE you will walk straight from the plane to Customs. After Customs, you will turn an immediate right & see the luggage carrosels. Behind the carrosels (when you are facing them, are 2 big doors to the Arrivals Hall. The sign says once thru those doors, cannot return to the luggage area.

After you collect your luggage, go thru the doors of no return. If you turn right & go until you run into a wall, you will find the ATM, if you need it.

If you do not go to the ATM, after going thru the doors of no return into the Arrivals Hall, take an immediate left & you will see the bus & vaporetto ticket booths (looks like horse race betting windows!). There will probably be a line for tickets. Advise the agent you want the bus to Piazzale Rome for Venice. Ask the agent where to find the bus.

Last year, we found the bus - with your back to the ticket booth, the outside door is behind you. Go outside & turn right at the 2nd vehicle lane. The blue bus was the first one parked. It was next to a sign (have to look up & to the right of the sidewalk) that said Venezia. The driver was not around; we waited; when he showed we verified; loaded our luggage under the bus; hopped on; tried to stamp our ticket in the machine on the bus; would not work; doesn't work unless the bus is turned on; took our seats; the driver came by & collected our tickets & did not give them back (I think he was supposed to, but we didn't worry about it!).

At P. Roma, ask the driver which way to the Canal. You will go down some steps from the bus station. We turned left after the steps & found the ticket booth (probably be a line). Advised the agent we wanted to go to San Sebastian stop; he gave us tickets - 5euros each (15 euros); I handed him a 20; he did not give me any change; I had to advise him to give me my 5 euros! Asked him where to catch water bus; he pointed; we were water bus #1; was on the dock; was on the side of the vaporetto when it arrived (but wasn't sure it was going our direction); verified with the man who opened the traffic bar; knew our stop because each water bus stop has the name of the stop in big letters.

I used the Freytag & Brendt map of Venice. We never got lost. It also has all of the vaporetto routes with arrows & the #of each water bus, & names of all stops. You can get this map at Borders or Barnes & Nobles. Get it in Italian so the names will match what you see in Venice.

Have a great time!

Oops, should have previewed my post -

1. I'm assuming you are going to Venice, not to the port.

2. Piazzale Roma (a, not e)

3. with your back to the ticket booth, the outside doors are IN FRONT of you.

4. the map costs $10-$11. Also found it in a local map store. Our son found their website to order, but it is in German! Don't know the address.

We flex into Venice on Renaissance (now defunct), and were met by a boat which gave us a nice tour before taking us to the ship. I guess I hadn't even thought about getting to the ship as it was included. I have to say, it was very unique and my first view of Venice was from the water and I'll never forget it!

Another option is to take the Alilaguna water ferry to the port. It runs from the airport and will take you to the port. This site gives great detail about your options (including pictures! which I love... :D) http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice_by_air.htm

We are leaving in 2 days and will be taking the Alilaguna ferry. We will report back on our experience when we return.

-p

Archived