New York Hotel near the Port of Manhatten

Tenn/cruiser

I will be cruiseing on NCL's Dawn on June 1,2008. Can someone please give me information on a hotel that is near the Port of Manhatten. I'm looking for something budget friendly. Just a nice place to stay for 1 night. I have never been to New York, Please help!!

I will be cruiseing on NCL's Dawn on June 1,2008. Can someone please give me information on a hotel that is near the Port of Manhatten. I'm looking for something budget friendly. Just a nice place to stay for 1 night. I have never been to New York, Please help!!

As New Yorkers will tell you, there is nothing in Manhatten that is "budget friendly"! :D

Hopefully, there will be someone that can give you some decent suggestions if you absolutely want to stay in Manhatten. Have you considered staying outside the city and coming in the morning of the cruise?

Actually, there are a lot of budget-friendly places in Manhattan but out of sheer perversity we seldom tell out-of-towners about them. For June 1, the Econolodge at 47th and 8th Avenue has room as low as $180. See http://www.hotel-rates.com/res/room.php?currencyCode=USD&req=roomAvail&resType=hotel&propertyType=A&hotelID=240327&hotelName=Econo+Lodge+Times+Square&postalCode=10036&address1=302+W+47th+St&city=NEW+YORK&state=NY&country=US&arrivalMonth=6&arrivalDay=1&numberOfRooms=1&departureMonth=6&departureDay=2&numberOfAdults=2&avail=Search+This+Lodging for details.

Budget friendly? Don't go below anything other than a Comfort Inn or Courtyard by Marriot. The low price hotels you see online aren't that great, clean or safe. "You get what you pay for" truly means it when it comes to NYC hotels. Unless you like sleeping with roaches, bed bugs, and dirty & unsanitary rooms.

That being said, stay in Times Square. There's many hotels, but plan to pay about $200-$300. It's expensive, no doubt about it. But you'll have a better service, nicer room & can't beat the views! Plus restaurants abound. My personal favorite is the Doubletree Suites in Times Square. Not as expensive.

It's only a few blocks to the pier from there, so take a cab. Really not walkable.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown on West 57th street last year and are staying there again this year. It's a very short cab ride to the pier (about 10 minutes on a Sunday morning). It's not the cheapest, but it's very clean and friendly. And, the restaurant has very good prices for meals. Having been in NYC many times before, we were shocked at how low the meal prices were.

The hotel rate for us (family of 4) is $299.99 a night. That's up $10 from last year, but so worth it. It's walking distance from Rockefeller Center (about 8 blocks). We went to "Top of the Rock" observation tower (Empire State Building had too long of a wait) and it was awesome!! We grabbed some ice cream (street vendor), did some shopping in the NBC Studios store and then walked back to the hotel for dinner. Late morning breakfast and a quick ride to the pier. Very relaxing. I highly recommend it. :D

Happy Sailing! You will LOVE the Dawn. This is our 3rd sailing on her (June 8)

I highly recommend this hotel -- clean, in a safe area, and not expensive for Manhattan.

I highly recommend this hotel -- clean, in a safe area, and not expensive for Manhattan.

Yes. It's an old building (where in a previous incarnation people did indeed have to fight off roaches, rats, and muggers with knives) that was completely gutted and rebuilt several years ago to create this clean, safe hotel. I live several blocks away, and it's where I send all my relatives and friends from out of town. For some reason, people who don't live here think you have to spend a fortune to stay in NYC or have breakfast. You don't.

I understand the Algonquin Hotel, a true NYC classic right near Times Square is running a summer special of approximately $200/night. This may sound high for out of towners but for this quality hotel (just refurbished) this is an incredible bargain. If you are lucky Bobby Short will be playing the piano at the bar.

I second the Holiday Inn Midtown. Also, a great place to eat is John's Pizzeria on 44th near 8th. Tourist-y a bit but extremely reasonable prices.

Just a quick note on the Algqonquin Hotel which a previous poster recommended.

It has been redecorated recently and if indeed prices are $200 per night, it woud be a relative bargain in a convenient Midtown neighborhood, a probably a ten minute ride from the pier.

If you hear Bobby Short playing piano at the bar, it will be celestial music. Mr. Short died about two years ago and he used to perform cabaret at the Carlyle Hotel. But you might hear the ghosts of the Alqonquin Roundtable. If so, give a special shout out to Dorothy Parker.

The Algqonquin Hotel currently has a ton of construction going on around it unless you can handle the noise. Also, the rooms aren't too big.

Hence, my suggestion of the Doubletree Suites in Times Square.

I believe, and I may be wrong.. that some floors of the Alqgonquin have shared bathrooms..

You need to ask when booking in an older hotel..

The Courtyard Marriotts are usually the best way to go.. There is one on 40th off Fifth that my company worked on and is beautiful..

nycmd_home_leftimage.jpg

114 West 40th Street

New York, New York 10018 USA

Phone: 1-212-391-0088

Fax: 1-212-391-6023

Sales: 1-212-380-5003

Sales fax: 1-212-938-0182

For June 2008 the rate is about $279/night which is excellent for this hotel.

What I like about this one in particular is you are not too far from Times Square..(2-3 blocks.. because this is closer to 5th Ave.) but not close enough to be in the 'crowds'.. this is a really safe area.

nycmd_phototour01.jpg?Log=1nycmd_phototour04.jpg?Log=1

nycmd_phototour12.jpg?Log=1

The above mentioned Econolodge probably best fits what you originally asked for. If you want to expand your search you might want to check the Edison Hotel on 47th just off Times Square -- a very nice tourist class hotel in a great location. http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

If you really can get the Algonquin for $200, that would be a great bargain.

Any of the branded hotels at this website would also be suitable, all in midtown locations though some not as near to the cruise docks as the Econolodge or the Edison. http://www.applecorehotels.com/

Relax and have fun in New York.

David

So I stay in NJ, many hotels much more reasonable. Ex. Comfort inn in Lynhurst, 130, Fairfield is 22 miles away a great best western with an awesome breakfast for 120, good luck

mew1

Well the choices are tough. If you want to save dollars, you can look at motels/hotels in Secaucus NJ that have bus service - a quick 10 minute bus ride into Manhattan and a short cab ride to a West Side cruise terminal. There are lots of "chain" hotels - nothing fancy, but nothing awful either. Port Authority bus terminal used to be a really sketchy place, but I was there in January and was pleasantly surprised as to how much better it was than before. Lots of security, lots of stores, and no homeless people in the terminal.

The problem with NY is that you are almost never where you want to be, so being across the river in NJ is often no worse than being some places in Manhattan. The only issue is that you will have to hump your luggage a bit, but if you can't do that, you have probably brought way too much stuff.

My daughter has done this and she said it was a good deal.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to stay in the heart of Times Square. What are your recommendations for a family of four (teenagers) who wants to see it all ? I do not want to spend over $400 per night and I do want our own bathroom. Also want to avoid rats and bugs:) Thanks! I am planning for August 2009 so I know rates are not available but just want the best choices and do not want to be tricked by the websites.

I really want to stay in the heart of Times Square. What are your recommendations for a family of four (teenagers) who wants to see it all ? I do not want to spend over $400 per night and I do want our own bathroom. Also want to avoid rats and bugs:) Thanks! I am planning for August 2009 so I know rates are not available but just want the best choices and do not want to be tricked by the websites.

Check out the Edison Hotel on 47th just West of Broadway. The location is exactly what you describe. The Edison is a not fancy but very nice art deco tourist class hotel, we stay there often. They have some two room suites which might help meet your needs.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

You might also want to check the hotels in this group. Brand name hotels you usually find on interstates (Comfort Inn, Red Roof Inn, Ramada, etc.) and you get the same level of amenities/comfort you would expect from the brand. Several of them are just off Times Square. http://www.applecorehotels.com/

Good luck. Have fun.

David

Tenn/cruiser...

If you would give us your definition of "budget friendly" in Manhattan, we may be able to make some suggestions for you. ;)

This site isn't necessarily 100% up to date, but may be of some assistance.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=new-york

Food for thought....every hotel in Manhattan is just a short taxi ride to/from the pier.

We found booking an apt/condo cheaper esp if there is more than 2 of you.

We did pay $200 total in a Manhattan highrise.

This is against the rules of all coop by-laws and condo rules. If caught or found out beforehand, I guarantee you will not get your money back.

I'm only familiar with condo/co-op by-laws in Maryland. Have you ever viewed the thousands of Manhattan condos available for vacation rental on websites?

This is against the rules of all coop by-laws and condo rules. If caught or found out beforehand, I guarantee you will not get your money back.

Archived