Zip line tours: any advice?

yuckylucky

Hello! We know we want to complete a zip line tour while in Alaska. I've been doing research and found a zip line tour in Ketchikan and also in Juneau. I've found two companies: Alaskan Canopy Adventures and Alaska Zipline Adventures.

Has anyone used either of these companies before? Pros/Cons? Friendly/Knowledgeable guides? Zip line scenery?

I'm leaning toward Alaskan Canopy Adventures simply because they have the zip line in Ketchikan. We're pretty sure we're going to do a heli tour in Juneau and wouldn't want to do two "big" things (and two tiring things) in one port. If we do the zip line in Ketchikan, that frees us up for the glacier tour in Juneau.

Does that logic make sense? I'm open to any and all feedback! Thanks a million!

I have the impression that the Canopy place has a lot of long ziplines (8) while the other one is more of a ropes course with 2 ziplines. Also looks like the canopy place has very limited open bookings- you may have to book through you cruise line. But at least on HAL, the difference in price is only a couple of dollars.

We did the zip line in Ketchikan last July and truly loved it. The scenery was beautiful and the course was very safe. What I liked is that you zipped from platform to platform. So there was no climbing down from one platform, over and climbing stairs up to the next. Plus there was two swinging bridges that you went across, while still connected to the line, so totally safe. That enabled you to go across the bridge at your own pace so you could take pictures if you wanted. I highly recommend this adventure.

Which Zip Line did you do in Ketchikan? There are two different ones listed in Princess' excursions. We too are trying to decide where to do the zip line (Ketchikan or Juneau) and if in Ketchikan which one? I would also love to hear any details about this adventure.

We are booked with Alaska Canopy Adventures Ziplining in Ketchikan next month. Now suddenly I am getting cold feet! I am not scared of heights, but this is looking scarier and scarier as the time gets closer. For those of you who have done this: Were you nervous at first? Did you feel completely safe the entire time? I thought about switching to the family-oriented "Bear Creek Zipline Adventure," but my husband and teenage son really want to stick with this one. Bear Creek is new for 2008, so there are no reviews yet. Any other 50-year-olds out there who have tried ziplining??

Linda

Last year for my 50th birthday I did the zip lining for the first time in Ketchikan. I went with my two 20 something year old sons. Yes, I was nervous at first, but the guides went across first so they could be at the platform on the other side. Seeing someone else do it first, helped me get over my fears. I felt completely safe. You are always connected by at least one line at all times. When they move your clips (don't know the proper term) from one zip line to the other, they make sure one is securely clipped on a line while they are reattaching the other one. I don't like heights, but I felt this whole experience was very cool and I could see what a bird sees when it is flying high in the air. The scenery is very beautiful, the crew is very friendly and helpful and when you are done, you feel very proud of yourself that you overcame a fear and accomplished something you have never done before.

I went again in Jamaica this past March. My daughter missed the Alaska trip, so I wanted her to try it. I felt just as safe there, however, I didn't feel very safe on the long walk to the first zip line. Plus there was a lot more climbing stairs up and down to get to each platform. Both her and I did fall down at the very end. We had been disconnected from the lines and were merely walking down some stairs to get to the waiting area. It had rained earlier in the morning and so all of the wood stairways were very slick. A lot of the stairways going down hill had little or no hand rails to hold on to. So overall, I much more enjoyed the Alaskan zip lines, but since I 'survived' the Jamaican ones too, I can say that that was a blast, too. At the time, when I was walking down all those stairs, I would have said otherwise! In Jamaica we had to jump off a platform and rappel down. Now that was scary, but fast. So no time to chicken out, just jump. And I still have all my bones in tact! So zip lining is for 50 year olds. I'd go again, if I didn't want to go on the Berring Sea Crab Boat excursion. So much to do in Ketchikan and we actually aren't in port for very long.

Hope this helped. I'd go if I were you, you'll be fine and will be like me afterwards, telling everyone how much fun it was.

We are booked with Alaska Canopy Adventures Ziplining in Ketchikan next month. Now suddenly I am getting cold feet! I am not scared of heights, but this is looking scarier and scarier as the time gets closer. For those of you who have done this: Were you nervous at first? Did you feel completely safe the entire time? I thought about switching to the family-oriented "Bear Creek Zipline Adventure," but my husband and teenage son really want to stick with this one. Bear Creek is new for 2008, so there are no reviews yet. Any other 50-year-olds out there who have tried ziplining??

Linda

woo hoo! I am 55 and I am going to try it for the first time!! I am going with my 19 year old son and my boyfriend (although he isn't zipping--back issues).....I am scared and excited!! we are doing the Ketchikan Canopy zip line.....we aren't until July (16th we leave SF).....so, you will have to report back!! :D

We are scheduled for Ketchikan zipline through Holland America on June 6, 2008 so I will find out soon - kinda shaky but my husband issued a "throw down" so I am doing it - will let you know how it goes:eek:

Thanks, everyone, for your reassurance. I do feel better. I watched some YouTube videos of the Ketchikan zipling. It sure does look like you are waaaay up high. Our day in Ketchikan is May 29th - one month from today. Yikes! I will let everyone know how it goes!

Linda

We did the zipline in Juneau last summer and will be doing it again this July. Absolutely wonderful! But if you decide the other port is better for your schedule, I am sure you will love it. It was a definite highlight of the trip.:D

Thank you so much for all the great feedback! We're looking forward to it and will look at the date we're in Ketchikan and see if Canopy Adventures has availability. If we have to go through the cruise line, well then so be it but of course saving money here and there on an Alaskan adventure is always great considering how much you end up spending on all of the excursions!

But it's all worth it... :)

Has anyone videotaped their zipline experience? I've seen some on YouTube and they're really cool. I'm trying to figure how one would rig the camera. I wouldn't want to have to hold and miss out on looking all around me.

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend and I did the Canopy Adventures in Ketchikan in '06 and we had such a blast that we are taking the cruise this year just so we can zip again! You're connected the whole time.....just lean back and enjoy the ride!

Archived