Prinsendam - Low # of Guests Per Stateroom?

iceman93

I've started looking at 2009 cruises and thought it might be time to try the Prinsendam. It always sails such interesting itineraries, and we hear such wonderful things about the service from folks here at CC.

I'm puzzled, though, as to why no staterooms can accommodate more than 3 guests. And in a truly puzzling state of affairs, the penthouse has a max of 2??!! Even a deluxe verandah suite, which offers the same king-sized bed and sofabed as on every other ship in the HAL inventory, only allows 3 passengers.

The only thing I can think of is that HAL is FORCING exclusivity on the Prinsendam. Whereas you'll sometimes see people packed like sardines in cabins on the other ships, I guess it won't happen to the same degree there. I also wonder if it is a subtle way to keep children away (which is the effect it will have by getting me and my family to book another ship instead). I just can't see booking two cabins for the same party size that fits comfortably in same-category staterooms on other HAL ships.

Experts? Can you help? I don't think the Prinsendam cabins are THAT much smaller, are they?

The only thing I can think of is that HAL is FORCING exclusivity on the Prinsendam.

My sense is that the unique Prisendam is intentionally unlike any of the other HAL ships. It is an intimate, small ship experience competing with Oceania, Azamara and to some degree, Regent and a tweener to Crystal, Seabourn and other high end luxury cruise lines. They call it the elegant explorer for a reason.

This ship and its competition, do not target the mass market, looking for an affordable cruise, ala more than two passengers in a cabin. And therefore those needing more space, book separate cabins.

I don't think it's an accident that these smaller ships often have some of the most unique intineraries.

Having said this, there are other HAL ships with cabins that will hold as many as 4 passengers that do more than the bread and butter 7 day runs.

Maybe there's a mistake in the brochure. I believe there are a number of staterooms that accomodate at least 3 people.

The Prisendam is unlike anything else in HAL's fleet, and she is meant to sail with a limited number of guests. That's why her cruises are more expensive than they are on any of the other HAL ships. It's also why they call her the "elegant explorer."

I don't think the Prisendam is meant to sail over capacity, or even at capacity. She offers a very, very special experience, and I'd be willing to bet HAL wants to keep it that way.

Now there you will probably find an overwhelming support for formal nights and very, very little in the way of "dress code violations." It's just the nature of the people who sail her and the places she goes. Her itineraries are usually longer/more exotic as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, Rita, and all those things you mentioned are why I yearn to sail the Prinsendam. We love "traditional" cruising, and while we've loved all our HAL cruises we have seen the gradual slipping away of some of the special-ness. It's just too bad that, unless we want to book two cabins, we won't be able to.

I wonder if I call HAL and ask to put 4 passengers in the penthouse if they will allow it, but they simply discourage it on the web...

HAL simply won't allow it.

1) Their reservation/pricing/onboard security & billing system isn't set up to accommodate 3rd/4th passengers in the PH.

2) The sofa in that suite is curved - therefore not designed to accommodate a pull-out bed.

3) Ships don't have "roll-away" beds like hotels do.

If you need 4 beds, just get two outside staterooms.

I hear what you're saying, Brian. With the deluxe verandah suites, at least, the description clearly says "1 king bed and 1 sofabed". Unless it's the world's smallest sofabed it would seem like that could handle four folks.

And I know I'm a snobby snot, but I just won't cruise HAL in less than that. I realize I could book two verandah suites for the same price (or two outsides for less, or two insides for a pittance), but to me part of the cruise experience includes the S/PS perks and treatment.

So my self-imposed constraints mean I won't be cruising the Prinsendam anytime soon. I either need to get rich enough to afford two deluxe verandah suites or wait until my offspring are out of the nest.

With the deluxe verandah suites, at least, the description clearly says "1 king bed and 1 sofabed". Unless it's the world's smallest sofabed it would seem like that could handle four folks.
Some of HAL's sofabeds don't pull out like a traditional sofabed. They 'flip' over - a bed for one.

Most of our cruises have been as a threesom with the third being my now 19 year old daughter. I cannot imagine two people on one of those fold out sofas.

Even if the occupants were young kids, I think the proximity would lead to all sorts of elbow and feet fights.

And I know I'm a snobby snot, but I just won't cruise HAL in less than that. I realize I could book two verandah suites for the same price (or two outsides for less, or two insides for a pittance), but to me part of the cruise experience includes the S/PS perks and treatment.

So my self-imposed constraints mean I won't be cruising the Prinsendam anytime soon. I either need to get rich enough to afford two deluxe verandah suites or wait until my offspring are out of the nest.

So why not put the pups in an SS or a standard Verandah stateroom?

They'll still get preferred boarding, etc. as long as they're with you - they just wont get to play in the Neptune unless they're with you.

Archived