Have you ever planned but not booked excursion?

Flacruiser123

Need help from experienced Alaska travelers!!

We are taking a 7 day land tour from Anch-Talkeetna-Denali-Anch then to Seward for week long southbound cruise followed by one night in Vancouver. We fly out June 6th - soon!!!:)

Some time ago, we booked flights, rental cars, trains, and hotels (thank God that is over). Now we are firming up excursions and deciding whether to book ahead or not.

I prefer independent tours (more intimate and often cheaper) and realize they come with some risks. Unfortunately, advance booking of excursions doesn't allow for much flexibility when you get there (rafting today instead of tomorrow, booking 1/2 fjords cruise instead of all day cruise, etc.). And if you have to cancel, the hassel of contacting all the agencies and the possibility of fees incurred (if traveling companions become ill, if I get hit by a bus and can't notify the vendor, etc.)

So anyway, I don't want to book unless its really needed. I've never had to cancel but have booked when, upon arrival, noticed that I really didn't need to after all.

Have you ever planned but not booked an independent excursion and regretted it?

Here are some I have in mind:

Seward: Kenai Fjords, Alaska SeaLife Center

Denali: Shuttle, whitewater rafting (these vendors look shady online IMO)

Juneau: whale watching

Skagway: Train/bus to White Pass

Ketchikan: float plane trip

Vancouver: Capitano suspension bridge (don't think I need one here).

Need help from experienced Alaska travelers!!

We are taking a 7 day land tour from Anch-Talkeetna-Denali-Anch then to Seward for week long southbound cruise followed by one night in Vancouver. We fly out June 6th - soon!!!:)

Some time ago, we booked flights, rental cars, trains, and hotels (thank God that is over). Now we are firming up excursions and deciding whether to book ahead or not.

I prefer independent tours (more intimate and often cheaper) and realize they come with some risks. Unfortunately, advance booking of excursions doesn't allow for much flexibility when you get there (rafting today instead of tomorrow, booking 1/2 fjords cruise instead of all day cruise, etc.). And if you have to cancel, the hassel of contacting all the agencies and the possibility of fees incurred (if traveling companions become ill, if I get hit by a bus and can't notify the vendor, etc.)

So anyway, I don't want to book unless its really needed. I've never had to cancel but have booked when, upon arrival, noticed that I really didn't need to after all.

Have you ever planned but not booked an independent excursion and regretted it?

Here are some I have in mind:

Seward: Kenai Fjords, Alaska SeaLife Center

Denali: Shuttle, whitewater rafting (these vendors look shady online IMO)

Juneau: whale watching

Skagway: Train/bus to White Pass

Ketchikan: float plane trip

Vancouver: Capitano suspension bridge (don't think I need one here).

I certainly can't answer you questions as an experienced Alaska traveler. We're going in July for the first time. However, after spending many hours (days...weeks...months :eek: :eek:) trolling this board I think it's safe to say many would advise you to book in advance. It seems that the more popular excursions (especially the independent tour companies) fill up early and if you wait until the last minute you run a big risk of getting shut out. I have already read many accounts of people not being able to book the tour they originally wanted.

Also, the general consensus is you don't want to waste precious port time running from tour operator to tour operator trying to determine what is available and if it meet your needs.

You are correct that pre booking cuts down on your flexibility. However, and this is my opinion only, I think of Alaska as a different type of vacation. I've traveled many places and have always wanted flexibility and spontaneity to be a major part of my experience. But to me Alaska will be different. Distances between things are often greater. The things I want to do most are very popular and fill up quickly. Many of the things we want to do can't be done on your own, therefore you need to coordinate things (I don't know about you, but I'm a little rusty when it comes to piloting a helicopter :D ).

Anyway, it's your vacation and you should do what you happy and comfortable. I figured I'd throw out another opinion.

Have a Great trip.

I think you'd be extremely lucky to be able to book a floatplane excursion once you're in port. I know Island Wings already had several dates for this year already booked up when we were there last August. For the cruise part of our trip, I preferred to have everything in place before I left to make sure I got my choice of excursions. The land part we did completely different so that we could move place to place at our own pace - except for Denali, which we had booked ahead!

The thing that you have to watch in Alaksa is that many of the small towns can have 4 and 5 ships in them a day that can disgorge as many as 8,000 people all wanting excursions.....so the excursions with rare exception are all spoken for before the ship ties up.

whale watching in juneau..

the small boat operators work out of their homes, they don't stand around the docks getting tours, they have have tours arranged and sold before the ship docks. one of the most popular...harv & marv..have told people, on this board, that certain dates are full for this cruise season. (they only take 6 at a time, maybe 2 to 3 trips a day..that's 18 people out of 10,000 or more that can go with them)

orca enterprises does have a office at the docks, across from the tram station...2nd floor over the shops. IF they have room, they would take last minute booking. but with 4 or 6 ships, each with 2,000 or more passengers, they get sold out.

you may be able to book the cruise ship's whale watching at the last minute.

there are some booths in each port, not where you can really see them...usually in or around the visitor's center. mostly for car/bus tours, just driving around.

some things can be done on your own, like mendenhall glacier in jueanu..you can get shuttles from the docks for little $. many of the independent local whale watching will arrange to drop you off or pick you up there. (mendenhall is closer to where the whale watching tours leave from, then from the docks)

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

has maps and information with local vendors...

the other ports have website, also.

Okay, thanks, will do. I have booked and not booked excursions on our caribbean cruises with no regrets so far but wondered if Alaska was different. I've already starting booking or waiting for responses (Harv & Marv, waiting on you!)

Harv and Marv is a good example of needing to book. We will be there in the beginning of Aug, and had a hard time getting a booking with them. We got the last slot of the day! We called instead of emailing. They then emailed a confirmation to us.

Archived