Some info on Liberty

anjoliza

Hello all of you lucky people who are going to sail the Liberty!! I just got off the Liberty on April 20th and wish I was going back on it!! I thought I would share a few tidbits with you and if you have any questions, I will try and answer.

First of all, the ship is great. Big and Beautiful!! Can be a little hard to navigate until you get to know it. Aside from the strictly cabin decks, only deck 5 and 9 allow you to go from one end to the other.

Embarkation works this way - if you are there early - say around 10:30 - the line is short and they have about 5 or 6 agents to sign you in and give you your sign and sail card. Beyond the agents is a room with seating - they seat you in the order in which you arrived with one section of the room reserved for the VIP people. Once that room is full, they do not process anymore people - VIP as well. So then, you would just be standing in line. I think it was about 11:15 when they opened up the larger set of doors and then the VIP people who were in that room could go thru and board first. Then the others in the room could go thru in the order in which they were seated. Once all of those are thru - they open up the big doors and have about 30 agents processing people. By this time the line is quite long but it does move quickly. They also then have a special line for VIP people at this time.

The cabin areas on board do not open until around 1:30, so do not count on getting into your room much before then.

For the muster drill, I wouldn't rush out once they make the call. You don't want to be too late because you don't want to hold things up but if you get there early you end up in the back and being packed in like sardines for what could amount to a good half hour or more. If you arrive more toward the end, you can stand in the front and it is over with quickly.

In hindsight, I think it would be quite smart to do a meet'n'greet the second day. We did ours right after the muster drill during sailaway at the aft pool. It was nice to meet everybody but it was very brief. People were moving to the deck above to watch us sail away and others had to rush to dinner. So, there were some people who I met but don't think I recognized them again during the remainder of the cruise.

We had requested the early dinner seating at 5:45 but were given the 8:00 seating. After giving it some thot we decided to stay with the 8:00 and were very happy we did - that time worked out great. Lots of time to get ready and relax with a drink before dinner. We think it would have been rushed to make it by 5:45.

We thought the meals in the dining room were fabulous!!! We ate dinner in there every night except one night that we went to Harry's.

Don't be afraid to order more than one entre or starter and don't forget that the pasta dishes can be had in both a starter size or an entre size.

We had heard lots about the warm chocolate melting cake and it lived up to it's expectations! I don't know what the buffet was like at dinner time but it seemed quite good at lunch. Lots of selection and different stations you could go to. They always had one carving meat going. The Mongolian Grill was very good. I heard raves about the Mexican. The Deli was delish - you don't have to stick with the sandwiches they have listed. You can mix and match however you want. Fish'n'Chips on the upper level was good. Even if you get your food from the main buffet it is nice to bring it up a level and eat it there - quiet and not so busy.

The 1st day we ordered room service for breakfast and my only complaint was that the coffee was stone cold!! In talking to others, they had the same problem so we think it was a glitch in a coffee pot in the kitchen. After that, we just went up on deck and grabbed a coffee every morning so I can't tell you if that problem persisted throughout the cruise. We are early risers and the danish would still be warm from the oven and very flakey - really good!

Harry's was delicious!!! The menu is the same every day but they serve you little extra's which are the chef's creation that day. My sister opted to have two starters and no salad and that was allowed. We saved one of our bottles of wine for that dinner and the corkage fee was $14.00. One thing tho, when they came around with the water they asked if we would rather have sparkling or spring water. I chose the spring water and had just one glass of it. Unbeknownst to me, they charge you for that - charge for a full bottle but didn't give it to me to take back to the room like they do when you order it in the dining room.

You are definitely stuffed when you leave there - the trio of chocolate dessert is out of this world but you will probably only have a spoon or two out of each dish. The meal that you get is definitely worth $30 - you would pay at least triple that in a restaurant. Is it worth going to Harry's?? If you like a really nice meal in a nice ambiance, then yes but the dining room is very good too and at no cost so, it all depends on what you like to do. I enjoy going out for a nice dinner and the chance to have lobster twice was very nice - plus the steaks are excellent. Something that may be lacking in the dining room. The prime rib and chateaubriand on the regular menu were very good but I wouldn't suggest ordering the NY Strip that is on the alternative menu - usually very dry or as our waiter Antonio said - don't order, like rubber :).

It would be remiss of me not to mention Tommy, the bartender at the Paparazzi Bar. He is great! Very entertaining and makes a mean Martini!

We went to 2 shows, the Welcome on Board show and the Rock Down Broadway show. I would have liked to have gone to the Legends show which was on the very last night but the timing of it didn't work as we had to finish packing and getting our bags out in the hall by 10:00 pm. We did catch the last little bit and it was very good. There are some talented cruisers out there!!

One more thing I would like to talk about is the secret doors. On all of the floors that have balcony cabins - Upper Deck and higher - there is a set of "secret" doors at the front of the ship on both the starboard and port sides, except for the Verandah Deck - that does not have the doors as that is where the bridge is. The doors have a round pothole style window in them and beyond the first door you can see a second door. If you go thru these 2 doors it will bring you to a deck overlooking the front of the ship. It can be quite windy. This was our favourite place to go at sailaways and at sunrise and sunset and actually anytime. It was quiet and peaceful and to be able to just look out over the ocean was great.

These doors do get locked at sunset and aren't unlocked until sunrise the next day - often locked earlier than sunset. BUT, the doors on the 9th deck (Lido) do not lock and are open 24/7. This deck is also nice because it extends over the overhang of the bridge so you can look down along the whole side of the ship. Nice to be able to go out there when it is dark and star gaze.

I hope I haven't rambled too much. I haven't proofread so I will apologize for any errors ahead of time:D .

If I think of anything else, I will add to it.

Hmm, just thought of one more thing:

MAKE SURE TO PUT SOME RIBBON, A BANDANA, ANYTHING THAT WILL REALLY DISTINGUISH YOUR LUGGAGE FROM ANYONE ELSE'S.

AND, WHEN YOU GRAB YOUR LUGGAGE AT DISEMBARKATION, EVEN THO YOU KNOW IT IS YOURS, DOUBLE CHECK THE NAME TAG.

Friends we had met on board ship had one of their pieces taken by someone else. They searched for hours for it and then had to file a missing luggage claim with Carnival. They flew home without it and the next day got a call from a woman who said she was at Ft. Lauderdale airport and had their luggage. She said she would give it to a Carnival rep and they are still trying to locate it - 9 days later!!!!:eek:

Happy Cruising!!!

Annette

Annette,

Great post. We sailed on the Liberty on Mar. 29th and I have to agreed with the information that you posted.

We also thought the meals were wonderful. Infact, another couple in our group resently sailed on the Celb. Milli. in Feb. They like the food on the Liberty better.

Our wait staff was perfect.

The bartender Tommy, is too funny!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Going on the Liberty in June!' date=' WE Can't wait. Did you do eastern carribbean? If so, what was your favorite port and waht did you do there?[/quote']

nice to hear you had a good cruise--we are going in aug on western--any info?

Ours was the 8 day exotic Eastern - 4 days at sea (we loved that) aAnd stops in Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama.

I don't think it is doing that itinerary anymore. I think the only one that you might be doing is Cozumel. We went to Nachi Cocom and can highly recommend it. Beautiful beach, pool and hot tub. Food was great! Drinks were ever flowing :).

Glad you all liked the review. I know that I loved reading everything I could before we went on our cruise so I figured I would give a little back :)

BTW, we had such a great time on the Liberty that we are sailing her again on April 18th, 2009!!!:D

Glad to hear you liked the Liberty. I did a 8 day cruise in April and she is still looking nice. I also did a TA on her when she came over from Europe for the first time.

I wouldn't call the door "secret" as they are on the plans. But, they don't have many visitors and it is a great place to visit.

We will sail her in October on our first cruise. I look for all the info I can find on the Liberty. Thank you for the great post. I am glad you added the secret door info. Of course now everyone will be out there. :D

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. I just booked the Liberty for her January 10, 2009 cruise. Returned from my cruise on the Valor last month and just had to book another. This will be my ninth or ten cruise (fifth on Carnival). I am so looking forward to the Liberty . . . and your review has added to the anticipation!!!!!!!

I am glad you added the secret door info. Of course now everyone will be out there. :D

LOL - I almost didn't write about it for that same reason. I don't think too many people venture out there tho. There is nowhere to sit and a lot of people get bored. whereas my sister and I love nothing better than to stand there and look out at the ocean - especially to be looking out in front of the boat - to see where you are going - to see exactly what they see from the bridge. It is pretty cool.

You will love the Liberty -I am counting down the days to April'09 when i can sail her again!! if you have any questions, feel free to post them and I will try to answer.

I should mention that my review and the talk about embarkation was based on Fort Lauderdale. That is the port we sailed out of. On my next cruise it is out of Miami and I haven't sailed out of that port yet so I am not sure how that one works.

Thanks so much for the info.... it was sooo helpful. I do have a possible odd question for you... I am taking my brother on his very first cruise, he keeps asking me the same question over and over.... Are crab legs available - on the buffet, at dinner or any other time? I told him they would be, but think I should make sure.

Mel

Thanks so much for the info.... it was sooo helpful. I do have a possible odd question for you... I am taking my brother on his very first cruise, he keeps asking me the same question over and over.... Are crab legs available - on the buffet, at dinner or any other time? I told him they would be, but think I should make sure.

Mel

I ate dinner every night in the dining room except for 1 night in Harry's and i do not recall crab legs on the menu at all. They may have them on the buffet at dinnertime but for some reason I am thinking not. But there is lots of other good stuff to eat so I hope he won't be too disappointed if they don't have them. They have lobster at the Captain's dinner and he can order as many as he wants:D . There is also lots of shrimp dishes.

Maybe you should start a thread asking that question and others might know more about it than I.

Happy cruising!

This is great! Thank you! We are BOOKED (yippy I have a cruise booked) on Liberty March 09. I just want the new cruisers going with us to be blown away! I need more cruise addicted people in my life!

For me it is like pulling teeth to get someone to try a cruise, but I've got some convinced. I can't wait to share with them the best vacation on earth!

This is great! Thank you! We are BOOKED (yippy I have a cruise booked) on Liberty March 09. I just want the new cruisers going with us to be blown away! I need more cruise addicted people in my life!

For me it is like pulling teeth to get someone to try a cruise, but I've got some convinced. I can't wait to share with them the best vacation on earth!

I hear you! What is it that make people think that cruising isn't the greatest way to go - they all seen to think land vacations are better. UNTIL, you actually get them on a cruise :D ! Mind you, there are still some naysayers who will say it was okay but they would rather go to a resort.:eek:

I took my sister on the Liberty with me and she is now hooked!!! - line 'n' sinker.:) She is going with me on the April 18'09 Liberty cruise as well.

I hear you! What is it that make people think that cruising isn't the greatest way to go - they all seen to think land vacations are better. UNTIL, you actually get them on a cruise :D ! Mind you, there are still some naysayers who will say it was okay but they would rather go to a resort.:eek:

I took my sister on the Liberty with me and she is now hooked!!! - line 'n' sinker.:) She is going with me on the April 18'09 Liberty cruise as well.

I have beat them into submission! But I know they will have the time of their lives! That is the best part of getting them to go.

GREAT! Now I'm even more excited for my cruise. Did Harry's take over 2 hours? Can't wait to try it.

I love to go through the "secret" door. We went to the front (the technical name escapes me) when we left Miami on the Victory and it was awesome. Hardly anyone was there. It made for some sweet home movies.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Anjoliza,

That was a great review...now I really can't wait..18 days away.icon7.gificon10.gificon12.gif

My question to you is..on formal nites, do men really really need to wear a jacket or can they get away without wearing one???icon6.gif

Thanks,

Lucky253

Hi Anjoliza,

That was a great review...now I really can't wait..18 days away.icon7.gificon10.gificon12.gif

My question to you is..on formal nites, do men really really need to wear a jacket or can they get away without wearing one???icon6.gif

Thanks,

Lucky253

I was on the Liberty last week for a WC itinerary out of Miami. And I don't think I saw any men in the DR without jackets on "Elegant Night". Even the punky-looking 20-somethings had jackets on.

I will say to those who say that a cruise will "cure" you of your desire to do land vacations, I couldn't disagree more. My DW and I loved our cruise, but we still prefer a high-quality AI beach resort to cruising (and if we shop around, we can get one for about 2/3 the price of our balcony cabin). But you can't beat the service and dinner food on the Liberty. Go, enjoy, and have fun.

Great review! I must agree about Tommy. We loved him. He sang to me every night. I found if you have a dollar waiting with your card he is even more attentive and seems to pour the vodka in your martini a little heavier:p . I know a 15% tip is included with on the alcohol purchases, but throwing your bartender some extra cash will do wonders.

I also loved the fish and chips place. The Fried calamari with Zucchini was awesome. I loved Harry's as well. I thought the food in the dining room was great too. I only had the buffet at lunch time and it was fine.

• 2 months later...

Hope all is well with you. Of course, I agree with all you posted about the Liberty. Melissa and I wish we could be going with you and Audry next spring but it just doesn't work for us.

I'm sure you'll have a blast again.

Good news is we convinced her sisters and mom & stepdad to come with us on the Splendor next Thanksgiving so we've got 4 rooms booked (Melissa and I have the same "L-shaped" room we had on the Liberty).

Cheers!

Archived