Port to City Center in Europe

x2tpd

Does anyone know how far the dock is from the city center in the following ports:

1)Edinburgh

2)Cork/Cobh

3)Inverness

4)Falmouth

5)Dublin

6)Belfast

7)Glasgow

Thanks so much... I am trying to determine if there is a need to arrange for transportation to the city or if there is free or easy to find transportation at the ports.. or if the cruiseline (NCL) will provide anything to get passengers to the city if they are wanting to walk around but are not on a ship excursion.

I can only answer for cork/cobh. Cobh is where the ship docks. The town center is about a ten minute walk.

The train station for Cork is at the dock. It's about 20-30 minutes to Kent station in Cork. 5.50E round trip.

From Kent station to the center of Cork is about a 20 minute walk. Cabs and buses are also available but we chose to walk.

Falmouth is a fairly small Cornish town, its a tender port and the tender drops you at a pier just off the main street.

Make sure you try a real Cornish pasty while you're here!

Julie

In Falmouth, the town provided a free shuttle into downtown. We used it because I have trouble walking distances and we had a tour scheduled for early afternoon and we wanted to get a sense of the town. Buses ran frequently. I'm not sure of this, but someone mentioned it was about a half mile to walk. - Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Edinburgh is 8 mi. from South Queensferry pier.

Cork, the pier is in Cobh, which is 15 mi. from Cork.

Dublin, the pier is 2 mi. from city (10 min. ride).

Belfast, the pier is 2 mi. from city, go to your roll call to see if the free shuttle will be running or e-mail:

welcomecentre@belfastvisitor.com

For Glasgow do you dock in Greenock? It is a 10 min. walk from the pier to town of Greenock. It is almost 30 mi. from Greenock to Glasgow.

I got all this info either from the chats or googleing the cities.

Ediburgh has two places where passengers are dropped off. If your ship goes to South Queensferry, which seems to be more common, you will be tendered, and it is about 40 minutes from downtown Edniburgh; there is a train nearby, but it is a steep uphill walk to the station, reputedly 150 steps. Alternatively, your ship may dock at Leith, which is a part of Edinburgh, and about 15 minutes from downtown Edinburgh with plenty of city busses stopping at Ocean Terminal, a nearby shopping mall.

Check with your cruise line; Celebrity changed a port stop from South Queensferry to Leith two weeks before a cruise departure.

Inverness - ship will dock at Invergordon, some miles east. There is a bus to Inverness, but I have no idea of how frequent it is, and it may not run on Sundays.

Archived