New Scuba Equipment - What First?

dirvin0500

We've purchased new masks, snorkels, fins, and wetsuits. We have read that they should be cleaned first and foremost. What is the number one choice for cleaning the mask, snorkels, and fins? We have read toothpaste however, what kind? do you rub it on and wash it off? do you rub it on and wait for it to dry like car wax and buff it off? We're new to having our own equipment. Also, we want to wash and drip dry our new wetsuits. What would you suggest we wash them in (Woolite, dishwashing liquid, etc).

Any help would be most appreciated......:confused:

We've purchased new masks, snorkels, fins, and wetsuits. We have read that they should be cleaned first and foremost. What is the number one choice for cleaning the mask, snorkels, and fins? We have read toothpaste however, what kind? do you rub it on and wash it off? do you rub it on and wait for it to dry like car wax and buff it off? We're new to having our own equipment. Also, we want to wash and drip dry our new wetsuits. What would you suggest we wash them in (Woolite, dishwashing liquid, etc).

Any help would be most appreciated......:confused:

Fins and snorkels don't need to be washed. :)

Use regular toothpaste, not a gel, and rub it around the entire inside surface of the mask. No need to let it dry, rinse thoroughly, as you don't want toothpaste in your eyes. You may need to do this more than once if you have a serious problem with fogging. The reason that you do this is that the manufacturing process puts a film on the lens, which if left in place causes fogging.

Wash the wetsuits in Woolite in cold water in the washing machine. Remove immediately and put on a wetsuit/mens suit hanger to dry. Store it hanging, as folding it can cause a permanent crease.

Fins and snorkels don't need to be washed. :)

They don't need to be washed, but you do want to rise them with fresh water after using them either in salt water or chlorinated pools.

After your first mask scrub, all you need to do from there (unless you still have problems with fogging) is rinse in fresh water (and dry so you don't get water spots).

Just make sure no matter what equipment you have that you get any saltwater or chlorine off as those will corrode or destroy whatever those things are left on.

• 5 months later...
never heard of washing a new wet suit before using it, but you will want to rinse it with fresh water afterward, (especially if you ever use the body's quick self warming method :D) and let drip dry in a shady area.

Okay, now you can tell the newbie what the body's quick self warming method is. :eek:

Okay, now you can tell the newbie what the body's quick self warming method is. :eek:

Peeing in your suit. Works well! :eek:

Randall

"There's only two people who scuba dive, those that pee in their suits and those that lie about not peeing in their suits.":p

We use toothpaste - the regular old white Colgate paste. I love the smell of a minty fresh mask, because that means we're heading out to go diving!

For booties, wetsuits, gloves, hoods, etc., we just knock/rinse off any sand, and toss them in the washer with liquid laundry detergent and lots of fabric softener to make them smell nice. I turn the wetsuits inside out, zip and stick down the velcro tabs first, but leave the booties unzipped, and make sure I sink them down in the soapy water.

This may not work if you have one of the thicker suits - we have 2mm one-pieces. They have been abused through the washer for 10 years, and have not disintegrated yet.

However, they do seem to have shrunk a bit over time, so DH got a new suit (3XL), I now wear his old one (2XL), and passed mine onto a friend who also mysteriously had hers shrink as well (XL).

I'm sure that phenomenon couldn't have been caused by middle age expansion, as the washer was also able to shrink ALL my clothes, and my BC from the drip rack all the way across the garage. ;)

Sink the Stink works really well for de-stinking gear you can't get in the washing machine.

Oh yes... you might want to claim your 'dive closet' now, as other things in that closet will definitely take on the tang of neoprene and salt water over time. We actually have one of our bedroom walk-in closets that is completely devoted to (and overrun by) dive gear.

Have a great time!

Wendy

Archived