Who doesn't drink any alcohol at all on a cruise?

flagger

My first cruise sails 2 weeks from today. I won't be having any alcohol. (Nothing against it, but I'm 5 mo pregnant.) I hear that most of the bartenders are skilled at making virgin types of the standard froo-froo drinks. Dan, on the other hand, can't wait to get to the martini bar. (Will they make me virgin froo froo drinks there?)

Nope, no alcohol for me either. Sure cuts down on account expenses!!

Off topic: Jerin--You are cutting the pregnacy 27 -week rule pretty close, aren't you? Do they require you to take a doctor's verification of far along you are? Just wondering. Glad to hear you aren't drinking!:D

Enjoy your cruise and your baby!!

I've got my note all set. From everything I read, it sounded like a good idea to have one. I didn't call, just went ahead and had one written -- it's tucked in my passport. I'll be 23 weeks when we start and 24 when we come home, so I've got a couple to spare. Our original cruise was the Century 1/15/05 -- that would have put me at 35-36 weeks -- not going anywhere then!

You can get plenty of frou-frou non-alcoholic drinks - that's what I do. Sadly the addictive things cost about as much as regular drinks, so my ship account is just as expensive.

I don't drink at all, but very infrequently I get a midori sour to be different. I take about 10 sips and that's enough for me. I do it like once or twice a year.

My DIL was prego on the last trip. There was a nice Bar Tender on the Navigator who would send a waiter over with her drink (Shirley Temple). It cost the same as a soft drink. At dinner they would bring her a glass of milk as soon as we sat down, then they would pour water for the rest of us. She was 24 weeks preg. She loved the ship because she got some very good sleep.

I'm another one that doesn't drink anything (at any time) but I sure do love my one "silly fruity drink a day" - they always have a special non-alcoholic frozen drink everyday. It's my treat. I've never missed drinking on the ship and I enjoy every minute of it.

:)

Another non drinker here also. My wife might have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner. I do enjoy watching all the people who feel like they must constantly drink to have a good time gives me stuff to laugh at :D

I think there's a misconception among many non-drinkers that those who enjoy alcoholic beverages cannot have a good time unless they are drinking or are drunk. People drink for many different reasons. Immature drinkers, drink for the buzz and to feel "grown-up" and "sophisticated". The majority of drinkers, however, imbibe because of the delicious combination of tastes and the way that so many wines and cocktails often enhance the taste of the food at meals. Also, a good liqueur or digestif for many is the perfect end to a wonderful meal.

Those who project a "holier-than-thou" attitude in boasting of their not having the "need" to drink to have a good time, might try to be a little more tolerant and realize that the "drinkers" do so for very disparate reasons and motivations. I have been on nine cruises and go on my tenth this Saturday, and have never been intoxicated on a cruise (or at home) and have actually seen very few people on cruises whom I would characterize as "drunk". Drunks can be found anywhere. I have even seen people who were drunk in church.

To Drink or Not to Drink - that is the question

The answer - if I want to drink and you don't so be it.

Someone's reasons for not drinking are their business - So don't ask me why I am or am not drinking.

(just don't put a Margarita in my line of sight)

I too rarely drink alcoholic drinks. And if I do, its only a few sips. I partied a lot when I was younger. Then I got used to not drinking during the years of trying to get pregnant, being pregnant, and nursing, and noticed that I liked the clear-headed feeling better than I did enjoying the drinks. Also drinking always puts me to sleep. I still love non-alcohol frozen drinks. I always have one or two of Celebrity's non-alcohol frozen drink of the day! My husband always has a couple beers at the bars, and usually some wine with inner in the dining room. To each his own.

Archived