PLEASE HELP!! Carnival gave incorrect info...wedding crisis!!!

Rocky2006

Even if invitations have gone out and time off booked surely you can make a change given you are not getting married til Feb 2009??? If you really really want your friend and her family involved in the wedding you may need to change the date by a few weeks.

:cool: :cool: My first thought was same as pervious poster - who sends out invitations a year in advance. Also, this is so far ahead you can make changes etc. This is not like a home based wedding where you could have up to 500 people - I don't think you could find that many people to pay for a cruise, air fare etc to attend the wedding so you won't have that many people you have to notify. What happens if you or another loved one gets pregnant in the mean time - will put another whole spin on this. Like others say, do not lie about childs age, you will get caught and pay dearly for it. Just put it off a few weeks and have your best friend with you.:cool: :cool:

This thread has all the makings of a monster. It has the three Cs of Carnival, Crisis, and Compensation and some bizarre suggestions. This should be fun.

popcorn.gif

I will second, third, fourth, and fifth that:D :D

Some of the most bizarre advice in a long time:eek: I can't believe they are serious.

This is a joke right:confused: Come on let us in on it:cool:

If a delivery two weeks earlier would put the baby at six months old come cruise time, she could just have the baby two weeks early.

People induce labor for all kinds of crazy reasons, and two weeks early is still within the window considered "full term" and healthy (though this would be for her doctor to decide, obviously, and not some random stranger on the 'net like me). She would, of course, have to be sure of her due date and be willing to go along with the plan.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh....what....it's not a joke?

Don't many people on this board book cruises sometimes 2 years out? I find absolutely nothing odd about sending out invitations for a Cruise Ship wedding FAR in advance. I'd imagine people need to make plans, inform their jobs, get passports, set aside money, plane reservations, hotels, etc.

Is the wedding at sea? My dh's cousin and his wife had their wedding on the Conquest I think but it was prior to sailing because their families were not going on the cruise and were in attendance. This was just a year or so ago too.

Couldn't your friend come for the wedding with her family and then they could just have a family vacation in the port city so that they aren't just flying to be there for a few hours?

All this talk about fudging the age and asking someone to give birth early is a bit nuts for a wedding that is almost a year out.

OK, please don't flame me. I'm not necessarily recommending this course of action, but putting it out there as a possibility.

If a delivery two weeks earlier would put the baby at six months old come cruise time, she could just have the baby two weeks early.

People induce labor for all kinds of crazy reasons, and two weeks early is still within the window considered "full term" and healthy (though this would be for her doctor to decide, obviously, and not some random stranger on the 'net like me). She would, of course, have to be sure of her due date and be willing to go along with the plan.

Just a thought.

Well, her physician would have to go along with the plan (as you stated). And there would be many who would balk at putting the mother and child at additional risk (yes, there are risks to induction) just for the sake of a cruise 6 months down the road. ButI have heard of docs who will do it for some less than stellar reasons. But I can't imagine a mother purposely doing something like this (it does, after all carry risks for the baby). Then again, I had a friend who asked her doctor to induce early so that she could claim the baby on her taxes that year. He said NO.

Well, her physician would have to go along with the plan (as you stated). And there would be many who would balk at putting the mother and child at additional risk (yes, there are risks to induction) just for the sake of a cruise 6 months down the road. ButI have heard of docs who will do it for some less than stellar reasons. But I can't imagine a mother purposely doing something like this (it does, after all carry risks for the baby). Then again, I had a friend who asked her doctor to induce early so that she could claim the baby on her taxes that year. He said NO.

And can you imagine how the person who asked would feel if something went wrong due to the premature delivery? Lung problems, birth injury, etc.? I'm just floored by the whole idea.

To the Op - I'm sorry you didn't get a good answer from Carnival - I think you got stuck between when you asked and when they changed the rule and I'd be mad, too. But when I saw your thread title I had to laugh - once you've been married a while you'll understand that there is no such thing as a "wedding crisis" - the actual wedding ceremony is not what's important - it's the commitment to each other. A crisis is serious illness, or surgery, or infertility issues that threaten your marriage, or death of a loved one, or not knowing how you will pay rent and eat that month. Try to put in all in perspective and either change your date or work out a way for your maid of honor to attend the ceremony in port and disembark the ship. The ceremony is just rings and a piece of paper to make it legal. The commitment should already be made.:D

Brides stress way too much over one day they think has to be perfect.

Concentrate your time and energy on each other instead.

I'm looking forward to celebrating my tenth anniversary on the Liberty this summer and I now barely remember the bazillion things that went wrong with my wedding - other than what a horrible stressful time it was. The true crises came in the years to come and it made me realize how unimportant that actual wedding day really was in whole grand scheme of things.

Best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

I know they are strict on age rules. Our friends who were cruising a few

weeks ago. Saw another family denied boarding because the baby age

by 2 weeks.

I don't think there anything you can do in this case. Unfortunately birth certs

don't lie on the true age.....

I not sure on the reason for the rules. But seems several cruise lines are using it.

Is the wedding at sea? My dh's cousin and his wife had their wedding on the Conquest I think but it was prior to sailing because their families were not going on the cruise and were in attendance. This was just a year or so ago too.

Couldn't your friend come for the wedding with her family and then they could just have a family vacation in the port city so that they aren't just flying to be there for a few hours?

All this talk about fudging the age and asking someone to give birth early is a bit nuts for a wedding that is almost a year out.

I have even better advice... Cancel the cruise (you are way within your rights) and have your wedding in your hometown (or wherever). After the wedding, you and your SO take a cruise for your honeymoon.

From all the post I have read on Cruise Critic, shipboard weddings are rushed, not well co-ordinated and just a plain rip-off.:(

Also, if you are planning on have an island wedding, all sorts of things could go wrong, like not stopping at the island.

BTW - My own daughter gave up a chance to be in her BF's wedding, so that she could cruise with her family. It took a lot of convincing that family was more important than friends, but she chose the cruise to be with us. Had a fantastic time, and although sad about missing the wedding, she was glad she didn't miss the cruise.:) The BF and her DH ended up divorcing a couple of years later.:rolleyes:

From all the post I have read on Cruise Critic, shipboard weddings are rushed, not well co-ordinated and just a plain rip-off.:(

I will have to disagree with this comment. We have attended 2 cruise weddings, one being our sons:D And they were 2 of the most beautiful and memorable weddings we have ever attended......

Ours was not rushed, great wedding coordinator and not in anyway a rip off. And both said if they had to do it all over again they would wouldn't change a thing:)

The only sad part was for some of the people attending that couldn't stay and cruise with us:D

However, I do have one question -- why in the world have invitations already gone out for a Feb 2009 wedding? That is 9 months away! :confused:

I was wondering the same thing..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh....what....it's not a joke?

Well, not a joke in the strictest sense of the word, but only kinda sorta half serious. I don't know anyone that would actually do it, and I sure wouldn't ask a friend to.

The only reason it came to my mind was because I was induced for both of my kids (not by choice, but because two weeks after the due date my kids still showed no signs of coming out on their own). My doctor told me stories about people who were induced for strange reasons . . . i.e. so that their astrology or numerology would bring good fortune, so that they would have a good birthdate, because they were going on a trip.

And although there are added risks to induction, they have refined the process over the years to reduce this risk.

I also think it makes sense to send out invitations far in advance for a cruise wedding. People need time to plan and save money. And it's not the OP's fault. She aksed the right questions.

Good Luck!

Well, that is what save the date cards are for. Gives all the information about the wedding and much cheaper than invitations. You can also make changes alot easier if any kind of problem comes up.

Well, that is what save the date cards are for. Gives all the information about the wedding and much cheaper than invitations. You can also make changes alot easier if any kind of problem comes up.

That's excacty what we used and we used invitations for the reception after the wedding............

Tell them you are Japanese! Yep! Japanese! I was once told many years back that when a Japanese baby is born the baby is considered 9 months old at birth seeing the baby spent 9 months in the mothers womb! True! I m not sure but take a look on the net. Good Luck Mikil

i thought the 6 month age was a requirement for a while...I thought that when we booked our last feb it was a 6 month requirement??

also....if at the time it was 4 months that you honestly booked it...I thought that the rule was for "new" bookings it would be 6 months or more...so they might be able to honor your booking if it was truly booked when the age was 4 months??

I'd have her call back and lie about the age!!!

I know I know it's dishonest and they only state the ages for the safety of the children but 2 weeks difference at that stage won't REALLY make a difference. AND she may deliver 2 weeks early (I bet the OP would cross her fingers for that) and she'd

With that tactic you may run into issues with the birth cert, but again she could say she delivered two weeks late (Might be a little confusing seeing as though the wedding is so far off) and how was she to know she'd be late when she booked her cruise!!! it's always worth a try.

If she'll go along with it, it may make it possible to be together for your wedding!!![/QUO

Your reply is the second dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you think a birth certificate will lie? How stupid do you think people are???? There are laws/rules for a reason. Read the RCI thread about the parents suing because their 7 month old had a medical problem.

The dumbest thing is to have your maid/matron have labor induced. That is probably the most selfish thing I have ever read. I can't believe someone would ask for that to be done. What world do you live in??????????

OP,

I would cancel the cruise, or if not, get married on the ship, without your maid/matron of honor sailing. Either get married a month later, choose another maid/matron of honor. The ships are not going to change their laws for you, unfortunately. Make your choices now while you can get money back.

It's because people are suing, and I can't blame the cruise lines for being pro-active. I hope you have your wonderful marriage and enjoy happiness forever. Sometimes problems in the beginning mean things work out well later. God bless.

Or, as stated, your maid of honor could still attend the wedding, assuming you are getting married at the embarkation port. If so, non-sailing guests can attend and get off the ship before it sails. Carnival does not do weddings at sea.

this entire thing is a nonissue.

keep the baby with a trusted family member. why would she want to bring a baby on a floating petri dish? does she WANT her baby sick?

Tell them you are Japanese! Yep! Japanese! I was once told many years back that when a Japanese baby is born the baby is considered 9 months old at birth seeing the baby spent 9 months in the mothers womb! True! I m not sure but take a look on the net. Good Luck Mikil

uhhhhhhh no. I'm half japanese, and I'm still only as old as my birth certificate says. Funny enough, my mom is too :)

To the OP, is it possible that you could reschedule the cruise for a month or so? I realize that you said the invitations have been sent out, but it is so far in advance that should not be a problem. We did not have to change the date of our wedding, but we did have to change the location at almost the last moment. Our invitations had gone out, and three weeks before the wedding, The Minister, decided that there would be no photography during the ceremony. We talked with another Minister, and had the most beautiful Church available to us. We just called everyone, including all our vendors to let them know and we had guest coming in from all over the Country. It was stressfull at that late date, and I shed some tears, but it all worked out, so you might have other options that Carnival would be willing to help with.

As far as lying about the baby's age, please in no way is that sound advice. Remember the old saying, that "one lie leads to another". These next few months should be the happiest time of your life, and the planning should be a fun time. I'm sure your family and friends will work with you in any way to accomadate being with you on this special day. Hope that it all works out.

Archived