Costa Maya Question

vfb2girls

Everybody wants to go back to Costa Maya.

But the thing I think that everybody isn't realizing is the fact that the best part about Costa Maya was the tiny little shack bars and restaurants right on the beach in nearby Majahual.(sp?)

I never heard anybody raving about the fake port area at the end of the pier.

Yet THAT is all that will be rebuilt and there when anybody goes back.

The Black Cat and the rest of the beach bars and quaintness that everybody loved were completely destroyed.

And from what I have been reading in the Costa Maya forum, from people who have been down there visiting in recent weeks on land vacations, the Mexican government isn't going to allow any bars or restaurants on the beach side of the road anymore.

They will have to be on the other side of the NOW paved main street in town. (versus the old dirt street before.)

I never like to stay right at any pier area in the fake, cruiseline built ripoff areas.

Which is all there will be in Costa Maya for the forseeable future.

And any redevelopment in Majuhual itself won't be the quaint little Mom and Pop places, but major developments by large companies, which can be had in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, etc. etc. etc.. already.

Bill

Not sure where you get your information, and appreciate all feedback, but you are bashing this beautiful island. It is your choice where to go in ports. And you are correct the best part of Costa Maya is the town past the port. Those "SHACKS" as you call them, were a part of a wonderful culture there, of a small fishing village, and people offering their services to tourists. Some of those are being re-built, others are moving there to build as well. I have never heard of large corporations moving in there to rebuild. This may be true in 8 to 10 years, however not now. The town is being rebuilt, and they are doing the best they can. Once again you are correct that the best part is the little shacks (your words again) and just so you know, my group always gets away from the 'tourist' section of the ports, and goes into town to experience the islands. Not everyone wants to "hang out" in the commercialized sections of the ports. Shame on you.

Not sure where you get your information, and appreciate all feedback, but you are bashing this beautiful island. It is your choice where to go in ports. And you are correct the best part of Costa Maya is the town past the port. Those "SHACKS" as you call them, were a part of a wonderful culture there, of a small fishing village, and people offering their services to tourists. Some of those are being re-built, others are moving there to build as well. I have never heard of large corporations moving in there to rebuild. This may be true in 8 to 10 years, however not now. The town is being rebuilt, and they are doing the best they can. Once again you are correct that the best part is the little shacks (your words again) and just so you know, my group always gets away from the 'tourist' section of the ports, and goes into town to experience the islands. Not everyone wants to "hang out" in the commercialized sections of the ports. Shame on you.

I think you may have mis-interpreted the previous poster's meaning. I don't believe there was any 'bashing' intended.

No there was no bashing there I agree. But also that person said it was a island and it is not. Costa Maya is special for the beautiful beach and great little Restaurants , massages , and inexpensive drinks on the beach. The port area is okay but I didn't spend more than a 1/2 hour there. Hopefully the locals on the beach will rebuild because that is what made that port special. This is my whole family's favorite port.:)

Our family went on the Carnival Miracle in 06 and for the most part we thought Costa Maya was really quaint. Some of our group went to the beach, some to ruins, and some of us went on a 4 wheeler tour and then to a beach, We all had a great time. I did feel close to the pier things were a little too comercialized to be realistic in a very rural area. We all did enjoy it.

I am going on a cruise for Thanksgiving and Costa Maya is one of our stops. Quite frankly, I can't wait to go because I have heard really good things about it. I have been on 11 cruises and have never visited here. I did go to Roatan, Honduras twice this year and I really didn't care for it either time. I didn't go on the zip-lining, but I did hear people that had a blast with that. I paid a security guard to shop with us on the streets, because we were being followed and it was very scary. When we continued on with the shopping down the street with the guard it was like a whole new port. They would just look and that was it. I felt much better shopping with him. It's just a shame that you have to pay a guard to shop in order to feel safe. It was just my sister and I but I think if we would have been more people or have a man with us it would have been different. I did however get to hold a monkey down the street, that was cool.:p

I hope you'll post a review when you return from Costa Maya! We will be leaving in January, and are hoping to hear some reviews from those that travel before us (once the port opens again).

I sent an email to Otto at *****.com and got a quick response back that they have most of their tours up and running, and will have more open soon.

We would really like to spend our day in Costa Maya down the road in Mahahaul laying on the beach, snorkeling, eating and drinking. I don't know if that will be the same place as pre-Dean though. I'm sure the cruise ship port will be very nice... but we really like to travel away from the Americanized, commercialized areas.

Wow, that's interesting! Thanks for the tidbit.

Didn't ya LOVE Capt Volpi?!?! He was great!

To the OP, it's really a no lose situation. Roatan is a very cool place. A Chance to see a really interesting island before it gets taken over by tourism! We loved it!!

Roatan is beautiful and my family and I would love to go back. I regret that the next time I go to Roatan it will have changed. We did hire a dirver $100 for the day for four of us. It was quite reasonable and we never felt threatened anywhere. :)

We were originally slated to go to Costa Maya. I felt bad we missed it but we had our favorite port experience because of it. It was a win/win situation for us!:D

We will be on the NOv 30th NCL Spirit and I would rather do Roatan. We have been there several times: love the place. Well Costa Maya does sound like a place for good, cheap maggages. Maybe we will just get off the ship, have a good massage and buy a drink.

Nita

Google up pics of the RCL ship (Grandeur?) that got its hull torn up when docking there!

I think Costa Maya was way overrated. The cruise port area was super over priced, the little stores in Majahaul gouged passengers (they charged more than they did for natives. Gee, this would get you sued in the states!) and the

only worthwhile thing to affordably do was see Chachoben (the ruins there are nice).

So, if you are not going there, cher up- I'd rather go to Roatan!

Had one of the most fun and relaxing days of my adult life at Pez Quadro. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I had an hour beach massage, a fun lunch, and got to hang out at a great beach with swinging chairs on the beach with friendly people and music. I'd go back in a minute. I hope Pez Quadro reappears when everything gets back to normal.

DW and I love Costa Maya and can't wait to go back. We know that it will probably never be the same in Majahual (the fishing village) as it was when we originally went. Even after the hurricane demolished Cozumel and a lot of vendors went to Costa Maya, it wasn't the same.

We received a Crown and Anchor Society email that listed CM as a new port. It will be interesting to see the changes. I hope someone takes a lot of pics of the port and Majahual.

• 1 month later...
Chac-Chi will be back and it doesn't get any more rustic (or inexpensive) than that! Right next to the overpriced port. I can't wait!

http://www.costamaya-chacchi.com/

I'm a member of the "Hole in the Fence" Club! We loved Chac-Chi!!

Costa Maya is the only POC that we weren't overly thrilled about. We enjoyed our day but wouldn't go out of our way to go there again. The consumerized shopping area doesn't do Mexico justice.

Archived