Morrocco - Money

Do I need to get Moroccan money if I am going on a shore excursion to Marakkech/Casablanca? Or will they take euros in Morocco?

You can take Euro and use them without any problem. Even the rest stops on the way to Marakesh you can use Euros and get Euros as change.

Morocco has a very large emigrant / guest work working in Europe so Euros are well known in Morocco.

Ron

We used American dollars in Morocco with great success. Take small denominations. When the vendors want $8 tell them a 5 is all you have and they'll take 5, if they want 20, show them a 10 and they'll take it. Grat fun and good bargains.

I'm really surprised to see that people paid with Euros and dollars in Morocco. Maybe this works in "tourist" shops and with people who work independently, but I don't think it would work in larger stores, supermarkets, etc. I lived there for two years and never saw merchandise advertised in anything but dirhams. With the dollar so weak, I don't know that people would be so eager to take it.

Did you really pay in the Marjane and Acima supermarkets with dollars? Sorry, I'm just curious...and a bit shocked, I guess. I mean, I guess I'm comparing it to shopping at your local Safeway and someone paying with dirhams...

At any rate, I'd take some dirhams just to be on the safe side...

Archived