Explorer of the Seas w/ scooter

Monkey30

Hi! Hoping someone has some insight on how easy/difficult it is to navigate RCCL's Explorer of the Seas with a scooter. My dad is an above the knee amputee and is totally dependent on the scooter. We have sailed on Carnival's Spirit Class ships and have found it very easy for him to get around... very handicap friendly ships. We also cruised on the Crown Princess and found that ship to be a nightmare when it came to the scooter. The buffets were arranged in such a way that he never really could get to them.. someone from our group would go and see what was offered, relay the menu to him, take and then go and fill his order. Also, all but one of the elevators didn't go down to the dining room floor... we would have to "weave" our way around the ship on a few different decks just to get to dinner on time... and this was with leaving his cabin about a half hour before dinner..... we couldn't just go to the back elevator on his deck because the cabin stewards had their carts in the hallway and there was no way the scooter could pass them (we are talking at least 8 carts since his cabin was forward)

Anyway... just wondering if anyone using a scooter/wheelchair can give me some insight as to what to expect on the Explorer of the Seas.

Hi Monkey30,

I think your dad will be very happy with his scooter on the Explorer. She is very handicapped accessible. From the handicapped accessible cabin to the automated deck doors on the 4th deck to the ease of access to the dining room the ship is totally accessible. I can walk a little but I didn't have to. Every ship staffer that I met was extremely helpful. I cannot say enough about the Explorer and I have booked another cruise for 2009.:) :)

bcmorgs... thank you so much for the reply.... I think we will go ahead and book passage on the Explorer for July 09" knowing, now, that it will be a true vacation not one where dad (or anyone else, for that matter) feels stressed. Thanks again!!

Your welcome. I would like to make a few recommendations. Try to get to all shows (including the ice show) at least 30 minutes before the starting times. There are handicapped seating areas but you have to get there early to use them. Hopefully you have a handicapped accessible stateroom and we never went to the Windjammer. We always went to the main dining room. The service there was exemplary.:) :)

. We have sailed on Carnival's Spirit Class ships and have found it very easy for him to get around... very handicap friendly ships.

I am traveling on the Carnival Spirit in September with my mom who is disabled. I am glad to hear it is easy to get around. Thanks! :D

My mom has mobility issues and we just were on the 2/24/08 cruise. She didn't have a scooter this time, but I am seriously considering taking one next year. She can walk, but not long distances. Safety is the primary concern. She can't afford to fall or be knocked down, so we had a walker with a seat to help protect her.

I think cabin location is critical. We were right by the aft elevators, which gave us access to all the dining rooms, the ice skating, the Promenade, and Deck 14 with Dizzy's, card rooms and a view of the rock climbing, basketball court and pool. Only the theater and the spa/solarium, conference area, and the Chamber were forward and these were not places we went as frequently. We met a number of people with scooters and they didn't seem to be having any problems.

The advice about the ice shows is right on the money. We went about 45 minutes early with something to read. About 1/2 hour ahead they open the doors for folks with scooters, walkers, canes, etc. However, there is already a long line of other folks anxious to rush in and get seats, so you really must be there on time. We did not go to the evening shows, but I think I heard that you must arrive early there as well.

There are always multiple ways to go between locations on the ship and you have to check out which route might be the best. For destinations on decks 2 and 3, you must take the correct elevator because the fore and aft areas are not connected. To go to the spa and solarium I had Mom go forward on our deck and then up the elevators because I did not want her crossing the pool deck on 11. However, if she has a scooter next year, that would not be a problem. There were carts in the hallways, but the scooters seemed to be able to get by them okay.

For the dining room I would definitely speak to RC about a table assignment close to the doors. Also, the Windjammer can be chaotic at times - I can't imagine trying to navigate it on a scooter. We ate in the dining room as much as possible for breakfast and lunch. It was much more civilized and the food was better although not as diverse at lunch. It seemed to be freshly prepared as opposed to coming out of a steam tray. Breakfast is breakfast - the same menu every day with a special. Lunch was a little more varied. Menus are posted daily outside one of the dining rooms.

There is always room service. However, I found it was easier to just go and take food out of the Windjammer and bring it back to the room for Mom. There are also tables on the pool deck where you can do this too.

The elevators at dinner time will definitely be a problem with or without a scooter. What we did was to ride up and then down again.

Just get in the right mindset - relax, be patient, plan ahead. Things will take time, but who cares? You're on a wonderful vacation.

I strongly reccommend a power wheelchair rather than a scooter. A power WC is easier to navigate in & takes up less space in your stateroom. I've done 2 cruises on RCI Radiance class ships in a rental power WC & had a much easier time getting around than my cruisemates with scooters. I must use a power WC all the time. I rented a power WC from Care Vacations rather than trust the airline with my WC. I used my manual WC with assistance to get from home-plane-ship. My power WC was waiting in my stateroom when I boarded. It is worth the expence & Care Vacations has great equipment & is very easy to deal with.

:)HAPPY CRUISING:)

Fil

bcmorgs... thank you so much for the reply.... I think we will go ahead and book passage on the Explorer for July 09" knowing, now, that it will be a true vacation not one where dad (or anyone else, for that matter) feels stressed. Thanks again!!

No worries, my aunt was in a wheelchair and I am mobility impaired myself. My first 4 cruises were on the Explorer, it was so accomodating. What ports will you be making, as that could be the bigger problem. Feel free to email me direct and we can discuss specifics. aus_1@yahoo.com

Archived