Confused about kids in pools

mickeyfanz

What I thought I had read on this site was that kids under the age of 3 or not potty-trained could not use the pools. We are sailing on NCL's Pride of America in June. My mother called NCL and asked about the policy and they said that our almost 2 year-old was allowed to use the pools just as long as they did not wear diapers in the pool. Huh?

So what I think I am hearing is that the diaper is the evil and not the possible poo in the pool?

I am a first-time cruise so need the straight answer here...

What I thought I had read on this site was that kids under the age of 3 or not potty-trained could not use the pools. We are sailing on NCL's Pride of America in June. My mother called NCL and asked about the policy and they said that our almost 2 year-old was allowed to use the pools just as long as they did not wear diapers in the pool. Huh?

So what I think I am hearing is that the diaper is the evil and not the possible poo in the pool?

This is a loaded question, LOL! :eek: :eek:

You may be better off going to the authority of NCL rules and regulations (their website) since even the CSR's sometimes do not tell you correct info.

However, This is what I found on the NCL Website:

"Are there any pool regulations?

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers." "

This was in the FAQ section of the NCL website, www.ncl.com. If you have not already seen this, it may give you some more information to help you have a great cruise.

"Why are children who are not toilet trained forbidden from swimming in pools on cruise ships?

Children who wear any type of swimming diaper or who are diaper-aged are not allowed to swim because fecal matter may contaminate the water. This can expose other swimmers to fecal matter that is potentially infectious. "

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/FAQ/FAQ.htm#children

I recently returned from a week on the NCL Star. I had two different officiers and one crew member (the one watching the kids area) tell me that it was okay for my 18 mo old (non-potty trained) child to go in the one shallow kids pool as long as she wasn't wearing a diaper or swim diaper. I had brought along a small kids pool, which worked really great, btw, so we didn't use the pool...but others did. I guess it really depends on the ship's 'managment' and how they interpret the rules. One day the parents were talking about this, and all agreed that if there was any chance of a 'poo' in the future, they wouldn't take their child in the pool. The crew member watching the pool told us that if there is poo sighting, he is required to close the pool until it can be drained, sanitized and refilled. He said it usually means the pool is closed for the rest of the day.

The NCL has a separate very small, shallow kids pool with small slide. I'm guessing the rules were be more strictly enforced on a ship where this small pool isn't present.

I'm curious what kind of pool you brought and how did you fill it? My DS will be 2 1/2 when we go so who knows if he'll be potty trained yet, so I'm planning as though he won't be.

OK, my personal preference, I think I would stay out of the pools on NCL. :eek:

Want to see what the NCL web site states...

Are there any pool regulations?

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers."

So what this says to me is that they don't care if the kids poop in the pool as long as they aren't wearing a diaper while they are doing it. :eek: EWWWWWW.

Put it this way, the USPH rule is there to keep unpotty trained kids out of the pools not set up for them. NCL took the law literally and just said "No diapers" :rolleyes:

Remind me to stay off a NCL ship...that's just icky.

As far as the blow-up pools go...I just bought one at Wal-Mart that I think will be great for our June cruise. It is only 3 feet wide and has only one ring, so it will be easy to blow up and cart around. Also, it only cost $3.75. It seems like more of a "splashing" pool than a swimming pool, but I think my son will like it just fine. I found it in the section where they have all the kid's summertime water toys.

I'm curious what kind of pool you brought and how did you fill it? My DS will be 2 1/2 when we go so who knows if he'll be potty trained yet, so I'm planning as though he won't be.

I bought a small blow-up pool - maybe 3 feet in diameter. It was perfect for my 18 mo old. I filled it up in the shower. I then dragged it over to a shaded area (under the stairs, so it was out of the way). I dumped it into a drain near the edge of the deck. However, I don't think a 2 1/2 yo would be content with it. Especially if he sees other kids in the other pools. On the Star, there is a separate kids pool area at the very aft of the ship-deck 12), there are two slides with separate splash pools, one bigger pool and one small pool with a small slide. The youngest children were in the smallest pool. The older kids weren't interested in it, so it was a good fit.

Don't forget a small pump (like the kids used to inflate a ball) for inflating the pool. You'll definitely want to inflate it at the pool area and deflate it when you leave. It would be way too big to carry around the ship.

As for all the 'poo' talk...I don't think it's that big of a deal. The smallest pool (maybe 18inches of water in a pool about 6 feet in diameter) is obviously for the smallest children. It wouldn't be a big deal to close that pool should an accident happen. I don't know what an adult would be doing in that pool anyway - now, that would be something to stay away from.

And to clairfy...children who are not potty trained are not allowed in the main pool or hot tubs...and this was monitored and enforced for the crew (at least it was on our sailing).

... Put it this way, the USPH rule is there to keep unpotty trained kids out of the pools not set up for them. NCL took the law literally and just said "No diapers" :rolleyes:

Remind me to stay off a NCL ship...that's just icky.

They didn't interpret the regulation literally. Evidently someone at NCL paraphrased the regulation and the crew took that paraphrase literally. The regulation is clear.

Vessel Sanitation Program

Operations Manual

August 2005

"diapers 6.4.1.3.1

Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained are not permitted in the public swimming pools and whirlpool spas" (page 51)

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operatio...Manual2005.pdf

There are some waivers for "splash areas" that are not pools, (On Disney and RCL) but that doesn't apply here.

If I was on a ship and heard a crew member tell someone a non-toilet trained child was allowed in a pool, I'd ask to speak with the environmental officer, then write to the public health service. It's not yucky. It's unsanitary and dangerous.

what it means is that IF a child requires a swim diaper because they are not fully potty trained then they should not be in the pool. They didn't do a good job with their wording there, should've said if a child of any age is not potty trained they cannot swim in the pools!

There is one key word here -- DIAPERS. You can use the covers that will hold in (firm) fecal matter - they are a terry cloth inside (comfort is the main reason there) with a cover over that. They are to be snug at the legs and waist so nothing solid can escape. Then put kiddo's cute swim suit over it. They will not hold soft fecal matter or urine.

So, they don't hold in pee. Helloooo.... I know plenty of kids who are WAY past potty training age (grade school age!) who pee in pools! :mad: :eek: (heaven forbid they leave their playing to go to the bathroom...)

My son was fully (daytime) potty trained at 26 months old (and he's small for his age, so people always think he's younger than he is). When we took him to mommy and me swim lessons they required these fabric swim pants for every child under 3. I thought it was absurd for him because he would start getting very upset if he had to go potty. No way he would have gone in the water/in his swimsuit. LOL

iPlay swimwear has the fabric swim pants as well as actual swim suits (both boys and girls). And they even have matching hats, shoes, flip flops, beach bags etc. (I don't think you can order from that site - They have links for finding a local store or you can search for the outfits on Amazon.com or various online baby stores) CUTE CUTE stuff!

There is one key word here -- DIAPERS. You can use the covers that will hold in (firm) fecal matter - they are a terry cloth inside (comfort is the main reason there) with a cover over that. They are to be snug at the legs and waist so nothing solid can escape. Then put kiddo's cute swim suit over it. They will not hold soft fecal matter or urine.

So, they don't hold in pee. Helloooo.... I know plenty of kids who are WAY past potty training age (grade school age!) who pee in pools! :mad: :eek: (heaven forbid they leave their playing to go to the bathroom...)

My son was fully (daytime) potty trained at 26 months old (and he's small for his age, so people always think he's younger than he is). When we took him to mommy and me swim lessons they required these fabric swim pants for every child under 3. I thought it was absurd for him because he would start getting very upset if he had to go potty. No way he would have gone in the water/in his swimsuit. LOL

iPlay swimwear has the fabric swim pants as well as actual swim suits (both boys and girls). And they even have matching hats, shoes, flip flops, beach bags etc. (I don't think you can order from that site - They have links for finding a local store or you can search for the outfits on Amazon.com or various online baby stores) CUTE CUTE stuff!

Nooo, actually the key word here is....ANY child who is not potty trained cannot go into the pools. NCL worded it incorrectly. It's not a NCL rule, it's for all cruiseships.

So no, you cannot put a fabric diaper on either. A diaper is still a diaper, doesn't matter what it's made out of. The child MUST be potty trained....unless you are on a ship that has a pool for non-potty trained infants. And at this point, the only cruiselines that have those pools are RCCL and Disney.

And even my youngest, as young as 2, would ask to get out of the pool to go pee. So it's not unheard of.

"As for all the 'poo' talk...I don't think it's that big of a deal. The smallest pool (maybe 18inches of water in a pool about 6 feet in diameter) is obviously for the smallest children. It wouldn't be a big deal to close that pool should an accident happen. I don't know what an adult would be doing in that pool anyway - now, that would be something to stay away from."

E-coli can be FATAL to a very young child while just an inconvenience to an adult. By the time someone notices that a small child has had an accident in that pool, it may be too late. The rule is there for a reason - to keep your children safe.

As for all the 'poo' talk...I don't think it's that big of a deal. The smallest pool (maybe 18inches of water in a pool about 6 feet in diameter) is obviously for the smallest children. It wouldn't be a big deal to close that pool should an accident happen. I don't know what an adult would be doing in that pool anyway - now, that would be something to stay away from.

The sad part is that it IS a HUGE deal when they have to shut down the children's pool because someone didn't follow the rules. :(

On our last cruise...we got the kids into their swimsuits and headed to the pool. We were about to get in when someone sitting above us yelled "Don't let the kids in there...LOOK in the pool!"

We looked and there was poop in the pool. So we alerted the closest crew member....and the children's pool was shut down for cleaning on our ONLY sea day :eek:

The kids were so upset that we couldn't go swimming. Our youngest was only 36" tall at the time, no way could she go swimming in the 5 foot deep main pool that was open. :(

So no pool for us on our last cruise because someone was too selfish to read the signs.

See, pool shut down...

878783-R1-02-1A_003.jpg

IMG_1175-1.jpg

The sad part is that it IS a HUGE deal when they have to shut down the children's pool because someone didn't follow the rules. :(

On our last cruise...we got the kids into their swimsuits and headed to the pool. We were about to get in when someone sitting above us yelled "Don't let the kids in there...LOOK in the pool!"

We looked and there was poop in the pool. So we alerted the closest crew member....and the children's pool was shut down for cleaning on our ONLY sea day :eek:

The kids were so upset that we couldn't go swimming. Our youngest was only 36" tall at the time, no way could she go swimming in the 5 foot deep main pool that was open. :(

So no pool for us on our last cruise because someone was too selfish to read the signs.

See, pool shut down...

Darn! I was hoping to see a picture of the offending poop in the pool!!! Did you get one of those? It could have been your "Before" in your "Before and After" display :D;)

Darn! I was hoping to see a picture of the offending poop in the pool!!! Did you get one of those? It could have been your "Before" in your "Before and After" display :D;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no I was too disgusted to take the pic. Next time (if it ever happens again) I will be sure to get a close up for you SAS. :D LOL!

See, pool shut down...

878783-R1-02-1A_003.jpg

IMG_1175-1.jpg

That's terrible.:( What did you guys end up doing instead?

That's terrible.:( What did you guys end up doing instead?

Well I *tried* to take the youngest into the main pool. But since the water was too deep for me to hold her, that didn't work. :(

So we just had lunch. Walked around the ship. Then the kids went to Camp Carnival for a couple of hours.

A couple of thoughts on this subject. We waited until our kids were potty trained before cruising with them to avoid the whole pool thing! We also have a pool at home and it is a really bid deal if "poop" get in it, draining and re-filling take a lot of work and effort.

We just came back from Carnival ( cruise with out kids) and it was horrible the passengers that did not care to obey this rule- many times, one woman would put her kid in the pool with full on diapers- and the crew did nothing about it. It was really disturbing- One accident can make it a bad pool day for all.

This seemed to be the attitude of many parents on this cruise- never seen anything like- we basically decided not to swim on the ship. Not such a big deal given we have our own pool, but a deal breaker regardless.

We just came back from Carnival ( cruise with out kids) and it was horrible the passengers that did not care to obey this rule- many times, one woman would put her kid in the pool with full on diapers- and the crew did nothing about it. It was really disturbing- One accident can make it a bad pool day for all.

This seemed to be the attitude of many parents on this cruise- never seen anything like- we basically decided not to swim on the ship. Not such a big deal given we have our own pool, but a deal breaker regardless.

The pictures I posted above were from Carnival as well. :( So I had the same experience. I know it can happen on any cruise line. But I am swearing off Carnival for a little while.

#12 report.gif

post_old.gif May 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Robin12265 user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_14701293", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

O.K. I don't care how "firm" it is, once it is in water, its not firm for long! and I would not trust any snug cover.

and I'm not shy about reporting offenders either. I can't stand the fact that most kids do pee in the pool, mine included i'm sure, even though I preach about how yucky it is, but at least the neighborhood public, and home pools which always have "everyone" over keep lots of chlorine in them

Archived