Bringing back rum cakes

kaw904

You're right, it is a good deal. Just curious, where can you buy these other cakes? I never heard of them until today.

At Cayman Islands port, turn right when you come out and walk toward the Big Black Dick statue and its behind the statue where there are some stores. Margaritaville is also in there. Its the far left corner, you have to pass margaritaville to get to the place they sell them.

Firefly - I said five, but thought it might be six. Now I'm thinking it probably was five. I really think the box was like $19.50. Hey, I'm old. I forget.:D (I make rum cakes a lot here at home; especially good w/the Malibu Coconut rum...which I made last week. I have the mini-bundt pans, so usually make nine at a time.)

Im allergic to coconut, I had to give away the little coconut cake they put in the 6 pack :(

I need to find a banana rum so I can make banana, those were still my favorite. I did like key lime in the Tortugala Brand too.

Here you go;

1 cup chopped pecans (optional) I do not use them

1 pkg (18 1/2 oz) yellow cake mix

1 pkg (3 1/2 oz) vanilla instant pudding

4 eggs

1/2 cup Bacardi Limon rum (Can use any other Bacardi flavor to change the taste but limon tastes most like Tortuga)

1/2 cup vegtable oil

1/2 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan or a 10 cup tube pan. Sprinkle nuts in bottom of pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, Barcadi Limon, oil and water. Beat at low speed until moistened. Beat for additional 2 minutes at high speed. Pour batter over nuts. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. I usually check at about 50 minutes. Cool 15 minutes then invert onto a serving plate.

GLAZE

1/2 stick butter (I use margarine)

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2/cup Barcadi Limon

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in sugar, water and Bacardi Limon. Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Prick top and sides of cake with a fork. Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until you have used all of glaze. Decorate the border with whipped cream before serving.

Im allergic to coconut, I had to give away the little coconut cake they put in the 6 pack :(

I need to find a banana rum so I can make banana, those were still my favorite. I did like key lime in the Tortugala Brand too.

Firefly,

Cruzan makes a very good banana rum. Check with you local liquor store.

Keith

I have read that people bring back coffee and rum cakes. Just want clarification that this is ok?? I know one can't bring back perishables, like bananas, etc. since they are not wrapped and might have parasites.

Thanks.

I have the definitive answer but it'll cost you a rum cake and a pound of coffee. Deal? :D

At Cayman Islands port, turn right when you come out and walk toward the Big Black Dick statue....

Please tell me that's not what I think it is.

Just kidding...I have a bottle of the stuff myself. Not the best rum I'm ever had.

Can you order these online?

I think I remember trying these when we were in GC.

They have never seem to have managed to keep a website running. I guess they sell out locally?

FYI - there are no rum distilleries in Grand Cayman. All of the rum comes from somewhere else.

these small ones are only 4 oz each, so 6 X 4 = 24 oz. so getting a free 2 lb rum cake thrown in for $30 is still the best deal if you get the other brand, thats 32 ozs free.

Im kinda surprised that no one reading this thread has tried Black Beards. Usually there are two or three others piping in that have tried both brands.

Several cruises ago we 'discovered' Black Beards rum cakes. After that...it was good-bye to Tortuga brand! Glad to hear the free cake offer is back. They had discontinued it when we last stopped by in June of 2005. :D

yes ...no problem. You can also buy Rumcakes in the ships giftshop if you so desire

however, we were disappointed in the rum cake we bought on board. the ones in the cayman islands are so much moister - i don't know why there is a difference, as the one we got on grand cayman was also packaged.

however, we were disappointed in the rum cake we bought on board. the ones in the cayman islands are so much moister - i don't know why there is a difference, as the one we got on grand cayman was also packaged.

... because they make them in Grand Cayman. We were at Tortugala in Key West and the girl there told me not to say she told me, but if we waited until we docked in Grand Cayman they would be fresher.

The ones I bought were simply delishious.

Tortuga, but both are great!

Purchased several bottles of liquor at the Big Black Dick in Grand Cayman and got the Black Beard rum cake free. I tried it and took the rest to work and it was gone within a half hour... LOL

But, I still prefer Tortuga brand.

When I cruised on the Carnival Glory in 2004 they had both the Tortuga and Cruzan rum cakes. Since I had always purchased the Tortuga ones I decided to give the Cruzan 6 pk a try; what a mistake!!! They were awful and then I discovered that they were outdated!!! I contacted Cruzan and they sent me a replacement which were much moister, but I would still stick with Tortuga. I do like the Cruzan flavored rums, but the cake is not up to par in my opinion.

• 7 months later...
Il will be on the RCCL NOS, are both Blackbeard and Tortuga rum cakes available on the ship? If not, I see where the Tortuga factory/store is, but where is the Blackbeard store located in Grand Cayman?

You'll get a better answer in on the RCI board :) Carnival only has the Tortuga.

You'll get a better answer in on the RCI board :) Carnival only has the Tortuga.

I could have sworn I purchased the Tortuga on Celebrity . .oh well

They are available on HSN....kind of takes away the 'specialness' of it though.. lol

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/search/searchresults/default.aspx?Ntt=tortuga&N=0&Ntk=Std&st=1&criteria=&days=&minprice=&maxprice=&o=esearch

I could have sworn I purchased the Tortuga on Celebrity . .oh well

They are available on HSN....kind of takes away the 'specialness' of it though.. lol

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/search/searchresults/default.aspx?Ntt=tortuga&N=0&Ntk=Std&st=1&criteria=&days=&minprice=&maxprice=&o=esearch

Oh, I didn't mean that Carnival has a monopoly on Tortuga. I meant that Carnival sells Tortuga, not Blackbeards.

We have a local store here that sells the Tortuga cakes... so far, for the last year or so they have sold them, I have resisted... but it's not easy :p They are SOOOO good!! But I had a friend make a "DWI Cake" for Christmas, and it blew away the Tortuga cakes... 12 oz of rum in one cake... :eek: but it was really good cake!!! LOL!

We'll be going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belieze, and Rotan.. can I get these wonderfull sounding cakes in any of these? Now you've got my mouth watering.. :p

Yes... I've never looked in Belize or Roatan. But you can get them in GC and Coz... in GC, once you get off the tender, take a left and walk a bit, you will come up on a small Tortuga shop on the right, where you can sample rum and cake til your hearts content... we actually do this as an excursion now :p LOL We've stayed in there for hours :p Always end up with a hefty bill by the time we leave, LOL

Archived