Cruising without a passport?

cmar143

Not necessarily - my three friends all had theirs in under 2 weeks - may even have been under 10 days - and were not expedited with costly express services - my SO doesn't even need his til next January when we cruise.

And how much did that ending up costing you? I heard that when you express them like that, it is very costly.

Can you still take a cruise without having a passport? I cant remember the date that the new law goes into effect.

Why would you spend $1000's on a cruise and not pitch in another $100 to make sure you can get home under any and all circumstances. Cheap insurance in my mind. ;)

Here's the thing. A passport for an adult is good for 10 years, for a child, 5 years.

With a little planning, you don't need to be spending this "extra" money right before the big vacation expense hits your wallet. My DD has had a passport since she was 2. I've had one for 25 years. We simply renew it when the time comes.

So, yes, if you book a cruise for a family and then decide you should get your passports, it does bump the price up quite a bit, but when you spread that cost out over the 10 (or even 5) years, it is a small investment for a great deal of peace of mind!

If you plan your vacation far in advance, you can spread the costs out a bit more. It's all about the timing.

How about it wasn't a lecture, but the sharing of additional pertinent info?

Like - if a poster came on and asked if you can bring alcohol onboard. A cruiser from X line might say "yeah, 2 bottles of wine per person" and a cruiser from X line might say 'absolutely forbidden' and yet a third might say 'google rum runner flasks'

Part of the beauty of this forum is that sometimes posters get answers to questions they never even knew to ask. Like the one poster that said given the responses - he was going to get he and his wife passports after all.

I believe the OP's question was: "is a passport required to take a cruise".

Not "could you please provide me a lecture on why I should get one?" :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure it's not difficult to get a passport but I just have never needed one before. I just booked a cruise and it sails on June 14th so I just don't think there is enough time to get it.

You can actually get a passport the same day IF you're willing to pay the extra fee that's involved! In CA, it was $60 - I had to get a passport for my son and the turnaround time was 2 days and I'm glad I had the extra time to spare - just in the nick of time! As everyone mentioned, just get it because eventually ALL the cruise lines will require it. You can do it on-line or at the post office.

Laurie

Not necessarily - my three friends all had theirs in under 2 weeks - may even have been under 10 days - and were not expedited with costly express services - my SO doesn't even need his til next January when we cruise.

If you get a passport when people aren't traveling as much (like in the later fall months), you can usually get a passport within about 4 weeks. However, in the summer, good luck - could take up to 8 weeks! They are so busy at that time! In CA, we have to make an appointment to pick up our passports.

Laurie

All 3 of mine got there's just prior to spring break - my SO doesn't need his until we cruise in January - but the other 2 needed theirs for a family cruise during spring break - and got them very quickly. There used to be a backlog but there was such a backlash they brought in tons more people to process them.

I have never heard of anyone having to go pick up a passport - far as I knew the State Department sends them back via postal service -and the supporting documents (birth certificate) in a separate mailing.

If you get a passport when people aren't traveling as much (like in the later fall months), you can usually get a passport within about 4 weeks. However, in the summer, good luck - could take up to 8 weeks! They are so busy at that time! In CA, we have to make an appointment to pick up our passports.

Laurie

It is somewhat reassuring that I won't need my passport for my upcoming cruise. I'm packed and ready to leave in two days, only to find what remains of my passport dangling out of my beloved Lab-mix's mouth. Yep, my dog ate my passport. :eek:

It is somewhat reassuring that I won't need my passport for my upcoming cruise. I'm packed and ready to leave in two days, only to find what remains of my passport dangling out of my beloved Lab-mix's mouth. Yep, my dog ate my passport. :eek:

OH NOOOOO!!!:eek: I hope everything works out for you!!!! Have a great cuise!!!!:)

Just make sure you can find that certified BC and you will be fine--but do get the mangled passport replaced when you return.

Already have the certified BC ready to go (well out of the dog's reach), have the app filled out for the replacement passport and will get the replacement process going as soon as I get back. :o

Archived