Where to Stay in NYC before Cruise

JDfireman:

What city in New Jersey would we look for a hotel? We have one booked by Penn Station in NY but if it's cheaper in NJ we might want to change out reservation. We are flying from Florida the night before our cruise.

What hotel near Penn Station do you have reserved? There is one right across the street, but I wouldn't let my mother-in-law stay there! :D

Just as an FYI, we stayed in Manchester, CT at the Courtyard for $46 (on Priceline). Lots of places to eat and a mall close by(for any last minute necessities)....... Just slightly over Two hours to the Pier the next morning..........

Just wondering where you came into CT from.

Manchester is the other side of CT , closer to Mass.

The Norwalk hotels the other poster has mentioned, even some in Stamford would have been much much closer, Especially for the trip to the pier in the morning.

JDfireman:

What city in New Jersey would we look for a hotel? We have one booked by Penn Station in NY but if it's cheaper in NJ we might want to change out reservation. We are flying from Florida the night before our cruise.

There are a couple of hotels close by the Pavonia/Newport PATH Station, from there it is a couple of bucks to Herald Square and a Subway ride to Times Square, where you can catch the M42 bus to the piers. I think one of the hotels is Courtyard by Marriott, which will probably be cheaper than the one by Penn Station.

If you are booked into the Hotel Pennsylvannia opposite Madison Square Garden, I strongly urge you to cancel your reservation and go elsewhere. I stayed in this hotel (:eek:) for a few nights in October 2004 and it was a flea pit then, I can't imagine that it is any better now. I don't think that hotel is fit for human (or rat) habitation. Actually, I don't think there are any rats in the hotel, it's not good enough for them, and no, NYC rats aren't very fussy.

Just wondering where you came into CT from.

Manchester is the other side of CT , closer to Mass.

The Norwalk hotels the other poster has mentioned, even some in Stamford would have been much much closer, Especially for the trip to the pier in the morning.

I probably should have mentioned, we drove from Northern Maine and picked the Manchester/Vernon, CT area as being about 8.5 to 9 hours from home. That's about all we like to drive in one day and that's why we picked that area. We like to get up early in the morning, so it worked out well for us, driving the few remaining hours the next morning. True there are some CT areas much closer for the drive in the next morning.

We found several websites that offer one night hotel stays with extended parking. We thought that it would be cheaper than paying seperately for a hotel and parking at the pier (which I think I read on here has gone up to $30 a day). I contacted the hotels directly (instead of going through the discount websites) and the Wyndham Garden Hotel - Newark was the cheapest. Their response is in green:

Dear Carrie XXXXX:

Thank you for the recent inquiry, We offer a Fly / Drive package, that includes one nights room accommodation, and parking up to 14 days, and a transfer to / from Newark Airport. The rate is $145 plus tax (tax = 14%). I would be more then happy to reserve the space for you directly. Please advise name on the reservation, number of people per room, guarantee method, dates of travel, make / model of vechile..color, plate number, guestroom type (king or two double beds) and smoking or non-smoking.

Thank You

Regards

XXXXXXXX XXXXXX

General Manager

Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport

P-(XXX) XXX-XXXX ext XXX

F-(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Of course we will have to pay for a taxi from the hotel to the pier, but I think this is quite a deal...

P.S. Their are several other hotels that offer this service;)

We found several websites that offer one night hotel stays with extended parking. We thought that it would be cheaper than paying seperately for a hotel and parking at the pier (which I think I read on here has gone up to $30 a day). I contacted the hotels directly (instead of going through the discount websites) and the Wyndham Garden Hotel - Newark was the cheapest. Their response is in green:

Dear Carrie XXXXX:

Thank you for the recent inquiry, We offer a Fly / Drive package, that includes one nights room accommodation, and parking up to 14 days, and a transfer to / from Newark Airport. The rate is $145 plus tax (tax = 14%). I would be more then happy to reserve the space for you directly. Please advise name on the reservation, number of people per room, guarantee method, dates of travel, make / model of vechile..color, plate number, guestroom type (king or two double beds) and smoking or non-smoking.

Thank You

Regards

XXXXXXXX XXXXXX

General Manager

Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport

P-(XXX) XXX-XXXX ext XXX

F-(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Of course we will have to pay for a taxi from the hotel to the pier, but I think this is quite a deal...

P.S. Their are several other hotels that offer this service;)

Rather than paying a huge taxi bill, you can take NJ Transit from the airport to New York Penn Station and then a taxi to the pier. http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

I have thought about doing this option too, but figured I would just drive up the morning of embarkation to Metropark and taking NJ Transit into NY Penn Station. For us it's the cheapest option and I know I won't get lost doing this. I still have time to think.

There are a couple of hotels close by the Pavonia/Newport PATH Station, from there it is a couple of bucks to Herald Square and a Subway ride to Times Square, where you can catch the M42 bus to the piers. I think one of the hotels is Courtyard by Marriott, which will probably be cheaper than the one by Penn Station.

If you are booked into the Hotel Pennsylvannia opposite Madison Square Garden, I strongly urge you to cancel your reservation and go elsewhere. I stayed in this hotel (:eek:) for a few nights in October 2004 and it was a flea pit then, I can't imagine that it is any better now. I don't think that hotel is fit for human (or rat) habitation. Actually, I don't think there are any rats in the hotel, it's not good enough for them, and no, NYC rats aren't very fussy.

Yep, that's the one. Our TA put us there on our first cruise out of NYC. It was awful. The hallways were dark, the bathrooms nasty. It reminded me of a transient hotel. Yuck!

JDfireman:

My choice would be the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City,most breathtaking view of the NY skyline anywhere...right at PATH subway to NYC,Pavonia station. A few blocks away is less expensive Doubletree,without the view.You can make light rail connections to near the port from there or do the cab all the way---about 5 miles I'd guess.

We have the Radio City apartments rented for our time before the cruise. Of course it is close to everything but we want to be able to walk places. Not sure if that will help you or not. It gets good reviews. Not fancy though.

• 1 month later...
Hello I would stay in NJ right across the Hudson river its cheaper and you will like it. Send me a e mail on here and I can help you out I am from that area 10 min from NYC

JD

Sorry it took me so long to write back. I have not been on these boards in a dogs age. Anyway, we are from Upstate NY. Any suggestions would be great

my email is dalemail@twcny.rr.com

This is also a very handy website for hotels close to cruise terminals. http://www.hotelsbythepier.com

We sailed on both Princess and RCI out of NYC. We stayed at the Crown Plaza in Times Square in 2004 when we were on the Princess ship. The prices are now out of sight. Last year, when we sailed out of Port Liberty on RCI, we booked the Hilton Gateway for a government rate of $169.00. (Keep checking as we first booked at $269 and then noticed the rate drop as the time got closer.) It's very impressive and right across the street from Penn Station. My first choice would be to stay in Manhattan but the Hilton Gateway is a close 2nd. I also check http://www.tripadvisor.com to get hotel ratings, customer comments, etc. Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 12 + adults wanting to do a pre cruise stay in or around NY for 4-5 nights. Looking for leads on renting vacation homes, timeshares or anything that would accomodate a group. Most have said Manhattan but I am not stuck to that location.

Anyone have any ideas.. all is appreciated

We have stayed at the Belvedere Hotel and also the Sheraton Towers in the past for our pre-cruise.

We are again staying in the Sheraton Towers, it is about 1 mile to the pier. The beds in this hotel were sooo comfortable.

I have 12 + adults wanting to do a pre cruise stay in or around NY for 4-5 nights. Looking for leads on renting vacation homes, timeshares or anything that would accomodate a group. Most have said Manhattan but I am not stuck to that location.

Anyone have any ideas.. all is appreciated

vrbo dot com ;)

Sorry it took me so long to write back. I have not been on these boards in a dogs age. Anyway, we are from Upstate NY. Any suggestions would be great

my email is dalemail@twcny.rr.com

The Westin NY Times Square is very close to the cruise terminal and, of course as part of the Starwood Group, has the same Heavenly Beds as the Sheraton Towers mentioned in jimswims post. The Westin is a much newer hotel. We enjoyed it and for NY, the rooms are a very nice size.

http://www.westinny.com/

Archived