Flying United/Qantas via LAX with 10 hour layover

I've been doing research and have either been coming up empty handed or get conflicting information. Then I thought maybe someone here may have experienced something similar.

We leave Baltimore and land in LAX on United. The representative on the phone said normally I could check my bags all the way through to Sydney because they have a baggage agreement with Qantas. I always thought you had to go through customs in Los Angeles but she said no, and info I've found on the internet also says no. But she did say it's possible I may have to pick up my bags in LA because there is a 10 hour layover and she's not sure if they will check them all the way through. Has this happened to anyone, and do you know if I'll have to pick up the bags or not? It wouldn't be such a big deal because we have plenty of time, but now I'm also worrying that Qantas may not let us check the bags that early? Does anyone know if they have that 4 hour rule? We thought about getting a hotel for that timeframe just to rest and shower, but I was hoping we'd be free of all our baggage. If we decide to say in the airport, all those bags surely cuts down on mobility.

My TA told me originally that the only time you didn't have to pick up your bags going through LA is if you were flying the same airline carrier, but then United said differently. I'm confused and would like to plan accordingly. Any information is greatly appreciated. Or perhaps there is a different board where I should post this question?

Thanks,

Brenda

1. First of all ... you'll find out for sure when you first check in. Anything said here can only be a "I think so"
  2. If they can't book your luggage all the way through, then yes, there normally is an embargo on checking in till 3-4 hours before the next flight
  3. Unfortunately, my experience in the U.S, is that you can't use lockers any more ... so, if that is the case, you're stuck with your bags
  4. Maybe your flight into LAX will be late ... and you'll be able to check straight in with QANTAS:)
  5. Maybe someone else on the boards has done that trip ... and can give you the info , from the horses mouth

I actually had a similar case. We flew from Minnesota and had a 14 hour layover. Some of us were on Delta and others on Northwest. I don't have an exact answer for United but I can tell you what we had to do. We picked up our luggage in LA and went to Qantas to check in. We were too early and they didn't even have anyone at Qantas until 3 or 4 hours before our flight. We flew first class and were able to check our bags before coach, but not before the 4 hour, as there was not staff. There are not Qantas employees who check you in. We had planned on renting a car and driving around LA and seeing the sights and grabbing a good meal before our flight. This was not possible as we had the luggage and we wanted to get our luggage checked in ASAP. We ended up waiting at the airport, which made for a long day, but helped me sleep for the long flight.

I know we could not check our luggage all the way through, but to be honest I would be worried with a 10 hour layover of checking my luggage all the way through. Too much time for the luggage to get lost. This happened to me on a 6 hour layover in Newark to Ireland. Didn't get my luggage for 8 days into my 10 day trip.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!!

Sheila (a good Aussie name, but not a Aussie)

I actually had a similar case. We flew from Minnesota and had a 14 hour layover. Some of us were on Delta and others on Northwest. I don't have an exact answer for United but I can tell you what we had to do. We picked up our luggage in LA and went to Qantas to check in. We were too early and they didn't even have anyone at Qantas until 3 or 4 hours before our flight. We flew first class and were able to check our bags before coach, but not before the 4 hour, as there was not staff. There are not Qantas employees who check you in. We had planned on renting a car and driving around LA and seeing the sights and grabbing a good meal before our flight. This was not possible as we had the luggage and we wanted to get our luggage checked in ASAP. We ended up waiting at the airport, which made for a long day, but helped me sleep for the long flight.

I know we could not check our luggage all the way through, but to be honest I would be worried with a 10 hour layover of checking my luggage all the way through. Too much time for the luggage to get lost. This happened to me on a 6 hour layover in Newark to Ireland. Didn't get my luggage for 8 days into my 10 day trip.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!!

Sheila (a good Aussie name, but not a Aussie)

I agree that I would be worried with a ten hour layover... I am not sure why you feel as though you luggage would weigh you down? Surely a taxi from the airport to a local hotel is not too bad. The small inconvenience is an easy price to pay as you will have a room to rest and a hot shower as opposed to the WORST aiport in the world. I hate LAX and I have travelled all over the world, and some third world African airports are better than LAX. Avoid it at all costs.... now that QF travels to San Fran, is it too late to change????? Anyway I digress..... Keep your luggage, and enjoy your flight. 14 hours is nothing..... you will sleep and the QF crew are very friendly and ask for a few spare "Snacks on Q" to tide you over through the night and get some fruit! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. I admit the thought crossed my mind that 10 hours might be a long time to worry about my luggage, but on the other hand assumed they must deal with that on a daily basis. If it is a problem, I bet they won't let me check it all the way through. Damn, I should have taken the flight with only 2 hours in between, but it's too late now. I'm always so worried about missing flights and that didn't seem like enough time. Plus I still thought I HAD to pick up my luggage in LAX. You know what they say about hindsight. I've planned for so long though and thought I had it all figured out.:)

As for bringing all the luggage to the hotel, the main problem with that is then we have to allow the extra time at the airport when we get back to get the luggage rechecked. Two lines instead of one! If it was already done, we could stay at the hotel later and just allow enough time to get through security.

Hopefully someone that's flown United will be able to tell me specifically about that airline, but at least now I know not to count on Qantas until 3 or 4 hours before our flight so that is a help. Oh, and yes I am looking forward to flying Qantas. I wouldn't even be worried about the length of the flight except I have a bad knee and expect a lot of aches and pains. We sat on an aisle to be sure I can get up whenever I want.

Brenda

FYI, the Radisson Hotel is just next to the airport and has a free shuttle so you might want to consider that and ask if they have day rooms. I know this doesn't deal with the rechecking luggage issue but an idea nevertheless. We, too, hate going to LAX, especially changing terminal while dealing with luggage,, but have found that there are a few nice places to eat and lounge areas that are pretty empty when you want to sit with your group and relax between flights. Good luck!

FYI, the Radisson Hotel is just next to the airport and has a free shuttle so you might want to consider that and ask if they have day rooms. I know this doesn't deal with the rechecking luggage issue but an idea nevertheless. We, too, hate going to LAX, especially changing terminal while dealing with luggage,, but have found that there are a few nice places to eat and lounge areas that are pretty empty when you want to sit with your group and relax between flights. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. Another friend recommended the Travelodge which also has a free shuttle. There are actually several on that West Century Blvd that have shuttles from the airport, but I never thought about asking for a special deal since I don't plan on being there long. I suppose I won't bother if I book ahead of time online, but if we're not sure we can call around when we get there. Brenda

Regarding a long layover, what time do you arrive at LAX? What I'd do would be to take advantage of some sightseeing, rent a car and go have some fun. Warner Brothers offers a great Studio tour. Make sure to book in advance. A walk down Venice Beach is always interesting. If you'll be in LA for dinner, I recommend The Lobster at Santa Monica Pier, or in Malibu, I recommend Dukes, or Gladstones, both are along the water and makes for a great dinner with ocean view. Maybe send in for tickets to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, which I think tapes in the early afternoon if you're there on a week day. Or, you can drive to the Kodak Theater where the Oscars takes place and take a tour, very interesting. Then, outside and next to the Kodak Theater is Mann's Chinese Theater, and the old Hollywood stars hand and foot prints in concrete as well as the Stars along the sidewalk.

Regarding a long layover, what time do you arrive at LAX? What I'd do would be to take advantage of some sightseeing, rent a car and go have some fun. Warner Brothers offers a great Studio tour. Make sure to book in advance. A walk down Venice Beach is always interesting. If you'll be in LA for dinner, I recommend The Lobster at Santa Monica Pier, or in Malibu, I recommend Dukes, or Gladstones, both are along the water and makes for a great dinner with ocean view. Maybe send in for tickets to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, which I think tapes in the early afternoon if you're there on a week day. Or, you can drive to the Kodak Theater where the Oscars takes place and take a tour, very interesting. Then, outside and next to the Kodak Theater is Mann's Chinese Theater, and the old Hollywood stars hand and foot prints in concrete as well as the Stars along the sidewalk.

We land around noon on a Saturday and fly out at 10:30. If we get stuck with our luggage I guess we'll want to be back at the airport by 6:30 or 7. Renting a car is something I hadn't considered, but it is a good idea just to get us out of the airport if we decide not to go with a hotel. I don't know that I'll be up for much sightseeing, and we've pretty much already done the tourist stuff. But we did skip the Los Angeles Zoo last time since we focused on the San Diego Zoo. I'll have to check the location though since I don't want to get stuck in the bad traffic areas. I did love Venice Beach and Malibu as well. I appreciate all the tips, there are certainly no shortage of things to do if we decide to go with a car rental. Thanks for at least putting the idea in my head! Brenda

We land around noon on a Saturday and fly out at 10:30. If we get stuck with our luggage I guess we'll want to be back at the airport by 6:30 or 7. Renting a car is something I hadn't considered, but it is a good idea just to get us out of the airport if we decide not to go with a hotel. I don't know that I'll be up for much sightseeing, and we've pretty much already done the tourist stuff. But we did skip the Los Angeles Zoo last time since we focused on the San Diego Zoo. I'll have to check the location though since I don't want to get stuck in the bad traffic areas. I did love Venice Beach and Malibu as well. I appreciate all the tips, there are certainly no shortage of things to do if we decide to go with a car rental. Thanks for at least putting the idea in my head! Brenda

Brenda,

The car rental will probably be less than a hotel and it will keep you busy. Therefore, you will be tired and ready for a long night flight. Hopefully you will be able to sleep.

I have been desperately trying to get a phone number for United at the Baltimore airport, but they seem to be guarding it like it was a national secret. I guess they don't want to be bombarded with calls at the airport. So I decided to give Qantas a call just to see what they would say. She wasn't sure if they would check the bags all the way through or not, but said even if they did she wouldn't recommend doing it. She thought that was too much time for them to be sitting there.

On the other hand, she said the Qantas lines open up at 2pm and I could recheck them then, and did not have to wait until 3 or 4 hours before the flight. Unfortunately I'm not a fast thinker, especially on the phone, and it didn't occur to me at the time that if they will take my bags at 2, how is that much different than my bags being transferred at noon? I'll call back some other time and see if I get the same answer.

Brenda

Brenda,

In my experience, if there are few international flights to a particular location, they completely close down the check-in desk between flights. So the 2 PM time is probably when it is reopened, not related to 12 PM being too soon.

Brenda,

In my experience, if there are few international flights to a particular location, they completely close down the check-in desk between flights. So the 2 PM time is probably when it is reopened, not related to 12 PM being too soon.

Sorry I'm confusing, and I'm still not sure I can explain what I meant. :) Yes, 2pm is when it reopens. What I was trying to get at is if they reopen at 2, they will obviously start taking care of the bags at that time. So my bags being transferred from a noon flight really shouldn't be "sitting around" for very long would they? The agent said that even if United will check them all the way, she'd be worried about doing so because of the time before our next flight. I guess I just don't get why having them transferred by United at noon is much different than me checking them in at 2 (as far as them getting lost is concerned). Brenda

Get it now. I think they are thinking about transferring bags when there is no plane to transfer to. But...you probably could retrieve your bags and take them to qantas at 2 pm to check in. Either way, IMHO, I think you're pushing it to try to do much of anything then get back to LAX, go through security again, etc. I'd give it up, have a nice lunch in one of the restaurants in the airport (there are a few) or hand out in one of the airport lounges (buying day passes should cost anymore than a hotel room) having a drink or two and dreaming of the wonderful trip ahead. I know that what suits me may not work for you, but I hate feeling rushed and stressed when I'm making connections, particularly if I'm concerned about my luggage getting where I'm going..... But just my opinion :)

Since this is a long planned trip, have you thought of shipping your luggage? Though it is pricey, it might be a cheaper option and a far less troublesome option than schlepping it. Most cruise line offer their own shipping or you can use UPS or Fed Ex.

Get it now. I think they are thinking about transferring bags when there is no plane to transfer to. But...you probably could retrieve your bags and take them to qantas at 2 pm to check in. Either way, IMHO, I think you're pushing it to try to do much of anything then get back to LAX, go through security again, etc. I'd give it up, have a nice lunch in one of the restaurants in the airport (there are a few) or hand out in one of the airport lounges (buying day passes should cost anymore than a hotel room) having a drink or two and dreaming of the wonderful trip ahead. I know that what suits me may not work for you, but I hate feeling rushed and stressed when I'm making connections, particularly if I'm concerned about my luggage getting where I'm going..... But just my opinion :)

I see what you are saying. Maybe that 2 hours would make a difference, although by the time the bags get there it will probably be closer to 1 hour, and that's assuming my flight is on time. That also assumes they are loading up the planes at 2 which I somehow doubt, but I don't really know how it all works either.

I totally agree with you about being rushed, which is why I booked this flight pattern to begin with. Two hours didn't seem like enough connecting time for an International flight with all the problems airlines have these days. But had I realized United would transfer the bags, I may have taken my chances. I think getting out of the airport for a few hours for some fresh air (if there is any of that to be found in Los Angeles) would be nice, or in getting a hotel we could get a shower and change clothes. No matter what, we will make due and I'm sure we'll be excited about the trip. 10 hours is a long time to kill though, especially in an airport. I shouldn't have to go through security more than once. But I will have to be back earlier than I thought. I was thinking we could bypass check in, go through security and straight to our gate, but found out you can't check in online for International flights. They usually have special lines for people not checking bags though, so that would help. Brenda

PS I do like the "drink or two" idea, and you can bet if we stay in the airport I will definitely do that.

Since this is a long planned trip, have you thought of shipping your luggage? Though it is pricey, it might be a cheaper option and a far less troublesome option than schlepping it. Most cruise line offer their own shipping or you can use UPS or Fed Ex.

Actually a friend of mine looked into that, and he didn't like the prices at all and neither did I. :) I really wasn't too worried about my luggage, just trying to figure out what is going to happen, before it happens, so I can plan my time in LA accordingly. Luggage can get lost for no good reason, but I figured we have 6 days in Sydney before the cruise for them to find it and get it to us if it does get misplaced. If they are willing to transfer it, I think I'll let them. If not, rechecking it is what I originally thought I had to do anyway. I only got worried when I thought I'd have to hang onto it until 4 hours before my flight. Now I know I'll be able to get rid of it at 2 so that is a help. My trip isn't until Oct/Nov so it will be a while, but I'll try to remember to let you all know how it turns out. Brenda

Archived