ShoreX - Puerto Vallarta Tequilla Tour Ripoff report

BUND

How do I get the attention of someone at Carnival Cruise lines regarding the ripoff Tequilla Tour in Puerto Vallarta that I booked aboard the Carnival Pride - it was bascially a the HARD SELL to buy over priced Tequilla and stops at a jewerly store for the HARD SELL to buy EXPENSIVE silver jewlery so that the tour guide could get a KICK BACK from his merhcant buddies. I plan on posting this to alert others about this ripoff excursion. Maybe a regulatory agency needs to be alerted.

You should write a letter to Carnival. However, from a consumer protection standpoint, the best thing you can do is post your review here and on the port-of-call board so others will know to avoid this excursion. It is unlikely any regulatory agencies will take action. Thanks for the heads up.

How do I get the attention of someone at Carnival Cruise lines regarding the ripoff Tequilla Tour in Puerto Vallarta that I booked aboard the Carnival Pride - it was bascially a the HARD SELL to buy over priced Tequilla and stops at a jewerly store for the HARD SELL to buy EXPENSIVE silver jewlery so that the tour guide could get a KICK BACK from his merhcant buddies. I plan on posting this to alert others about this ripoff excursion. Maybe a regulatory agency needs to be alerted.
Besides this little problem with people in Mexico trying to sell you something, how was your cruise?

Are you asking about Carnival's kickback? Or the tour guide's?

"Regulatory Agency"? A U.S. agency or a Mexican agency? A U.S. agency could care less what happens in Mexico.

1. Should have politely reported your dissatisfaction upon returning from the excursion (in person and in writing) to the excursion desk.

2. Write a politely stated letter to Carnival.

3. Write a review so others know to stay away.

Other than the Scumbags at ShoreX - the crusie was nice. The Pride is a beautiful ship - food was above what I expected. the service was adequate. Lido buffet was average but the dining room was really good. I plan on posting my experience with ShoreX to EVERY CRUISE website I can find on the NET. Thanks for the replies so far!

Emailed a complaint to Carnival Customer Service in Miami regarding the above issue - complained to the Shore Excursion desk when I got back and the response "NO refunds on booked EXCURSIONS, Sorry"

complained to the Shore Excursion desk when I got back and the response "NO refunds on booked EXCURSIONS, Sorry"

Really? Some members of our group on Miracle last year were unhappy with an excursion- something about being too rushed at the end and not having time to pick up a photo they were supposed to be able to buy. They made a complaint when they got back to the ship, and later that night (or next day) they got a letter in their "mailbox" that they were given a refund. I guess it's one of those rules that is selectively enforced, or up to the whim of the manager on duty.

I'm sorry the excursion was a bummer.

Hard sells in Mexico and the Caribbean seem to be pretty standard. Not sure if they would do anything because you didn't like a hard sell.

all you have to do is say no. I've done the tequila tours in PV and I didn't think they were bad at all. But good luck to you. I know you compained about your waiter in another thread and got moved to a different table so maybe you just have high expectations.

How do I get the attention of someone at Carnival Cruise lines regarding the ripoff Tequilla Tour in Puerto Vallarta that I booked aboard the Carnival Pride - it was bascially a the HARD SELL to buy over priced Tequilla and stops at a jewerly store for the HARD SELL to buy EXPENSIVE silver jewlery so that the tour guide could get a KICK BACK from his merhcant buddies.

On a Tequila Tour.... what did you expect.... free Tequila. Of course there will be a sell. We have been on lots of tours that stop for a rest / bathroom stop that oooooh coincidental has a souvenir shop with over priced junk. Nothing new. Nobody is bending an arm. The disappointing part is the wasted time..... but it is nice to hit the bathroom or get a drink. ;)

I plan on posting this to alert others about this ripoff excursion.

And now you have. :D

Maybe a regulatory agency needs to be alerted.

In Mexico.....YEAH RIGHT

On a Tequila Tour.... what did you expect.... free Tequila. Of course there will be a sell.

Actually, it's not really helpful to the original poster's cause, but as info, we just took a great tour in Cozumel that included a stop at a Tequila Factory and we got all the FREE tequila samples we wanted! :D

Just sayin'...............it can happen!

Actually, it's not really helpful to the original poster's cause, but as info, we just took a great tour in Cozumel that included a stop at a Tequila Factory and we got all the FREE tequila samples we wanted! :D Just sayin'...............it can happen!

I agree. We have been on those tours where "fee samples" or "all you want" are passed out. I found it interesting the OP was complaining about the "Hard Sell". Gee.... just about all tours end in the gift shop.......

That is one reason why we like this forum. It provides not only good advice, but makes me want to do shore excursions on our own. It is always cheaper, more interesting and if you find a good tour company and can share some of the cost, much more enjoyable.

Pick a tour company, tell them what you are interested in (tequila or not to teguila) and they will set up a nice trip for one day (or more if you stay in PV longer). Plus there is not hard sell or any hassles about going to pre designated shops by the tour guide.

• 3 weeks later...
it was bascially a the HARD SELL to buy over priced Tequilla and stops at a jewerly store for the HARD SELL to buy EXPENSIVE silver jewlery so that the tour guide could get a KICK BACK from his merhcant buddies.

Sounds like about half of the tours I have taken in Mexico

Carnival cruise lines did address my issues with a letter - I will book another cruise with Carnival because of the excellent food and treatment I received on the Pride. There were some minor issues but Carnival took my complaints seriously and RESOLVED them in a timely manner. I will say that DO NOT BOOK ANOTHER SHOREX TOUR AGAIN -- they are a RIPOFF TOUR OPERATOR. Book the Shore excursions on your own in the port and read the feedback on this board - be an informed consumer especially in MEXICO. There are some really smart and informed CRUISERS on this board. Ask a question of Cruise Critic and you are bound to get an answer!

Archived