Cell phone usage onboard - Verizon

We were planning on using our cell phones to keep in touch with each other on board. However I just finished chatting with Verizon, and they said we won't have any service on board, that we don't have global phones???

So its not our plan but our phones. Has anyone heard of this, we have new cell phones. Are they just trying to get me to rent their global phones?

Probably not, phones must be internationally compatible with the cellular system used onboard. Most of the world, including cruiseships, use GSM although I believe the RCCL ships work with both GSM and CDMA phones as long as your phone is also internationally cabable. It sounds as if yours is not. You can check by going to the carrier or phone manufacturer website and putting your model number in to bring up the specs. You need a tri-band or quad-band digital phone, I believe, to use international services.

The world standard for telephones is GSM. Generally there are 4 bands of GSM, the two most often used bands are 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz bands. In North America they use the 850 Mhz and the 1900 Mhz bands (because the 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz bands were stupidly already allocated). In some countries there are a few other bands used, but they are mostly extinct.

CDMA is used in a few countries. Increasingly we see that some of the CDMA providers are finally figuring out that being on a world standard is much more effective and they have started to announce their own migration. (Telus in Canada has been flirting with the idea of converting to GSM).

If you want to use your phone outside of the US, Canada and Japan, you will likely need a GSM phone that has at least 3 if not all 4 of the bands. Generally pay-as-you-go phones only have the 2 North American bands.

PS: The US is a VERY small market in the cellular world, the US has to change to match the rest of the world and not vice-versa.

We were planning on using our cell phones to keep in touch with each other on board. However I just finished chatting with Verizon, and they said we won't have any service on board, that we don't have global phones???

So its not our plan but our phones. Has anyone heard of this, we have new cell phones. Are they just trying to get me to rent their global phones?

I don't know much about the techno-mumbo-jumbo, but i can tell you Verizon phones will not work on board when you're out at sea. Once in port, they did work in Grand Cayman, but not in Labadee or Cozumel. Not sure about Ocho Rios.

On board, we used walkie-talkies and were respectful around others when we did so.

We just returned from a 13 night RCL cruise (Legend of the Sea) in Italy. We debated about updating our Verizon phones to get the international phones that the Verizon reps were suggesting. However, since we were bringing our laptop, we decided not to since we planned on staying in touch via email. However, my wife brought her cell phone along just in case.

It turns out that when we out at sea off both coasts of Italy, we could usually call our adult children in California. We don't understand all the technical details that the other respondents are giving you but our experience was that our Verizon phone worked when we were offshore but never in port.

Good luck.

Not only is it true that your CDMA phones won't work on the ships, but were you really prepared to pay $2.99/minute X however many phones you were using just to stay in touch. You can't call each other on the ship and get free talk time like you do on your local network. Just FYI, in case you didn't already know that.

I had no trouble with my Verizon phone while on a cruise. I've used it cruising to Mexico and the Bahamas. I did have to call Verizon and download something called "I Dial". The roaming rate is $2.49 PM.

Here's the info from Verizon's website:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Scroll 1/4 of the way down the page for info on which ships have coverage.

Our experience is the same as Alphakitty. We have had no problems in the Bahamas, Caribbean or Mexico. It is expensive, so the phones go into the safe and only come out if we really need/want to make a call.

just get walkin talkies

DH works for Motorolla. All I know is that you have to have a phone with different software for international calling. His boss provided him with one that has international capabilities. Oh, Joy!

BTW, I stated, if you get to talk to your boss, I get to talk to my kids!

So, in a nutshell ... the average phone won't work overseas.

mdnikki,

My husband has a verizon blackberry type phone. We were on Liberty in August and he has no problem using his phone. It wasn't crystal clear service,(major delaying and echoing) but it worked. A bit pricy to use to get in touch with people on the ship with you though, for that I would say use a walkie.

I had no trouble with my Verizon phone while on a cruise. I've used it cruising to Mexico and the Bahamas. I did have to call Verizon and download something called "I Dial". The roaming rate is $2.49 PM.

Here's the info from Verizon's website:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Scroll 1/4 of the way down the page for info on which ships have coverage.

Scroll just a little bit further down the page to the FAQ's and click on the link, answer #2 says that your all digital or tri-mode phone will work on the cruise ships. All of RCL's ships have cell phone coverage, but if you don't have one of these phones, then you're out of luck.

The OP stated that "We were planning on using our cell phones to keep in touch with each other on board." It doesn't matter if their phones are GSM or CDMA, if there is no cellular service ON THE SHIP! When they get to port they may be able to connect, for a price, but on board ship away from the port there would be no service to connect to unless they had a global satellite phone.

The OP stated that "We were planning on using our cell phones to keep in touch with each other on board." It doesn't matter if their phones are GSM or CDMA, if there is no cellular service ON THE SHIP! When they get to port they may be able to connect, for a price, but on board ship away from the port there would be no service to connect to unless they had a global satellite phone.

They're sailing on Liberty, which definitely has cellular telephone service, if you have a compatible phone. Not sure what you're trying to say, it isn't the ship's capability that is in question.

I talked to Verizon about service while in europe. They said my phone will not work (Motorola Razr). But they will "rent" me a GSM phone for a $9.99 shipping charge (including return) and only charge for roaming at the applicable rate. No other rental charge. They will temporarally deactivate my phone and activate the rental, so my current cell number will work. Reverse process when I get back, then return phone. I would assume this phone would work on board, but they could better answer that. The number to call Verizon is 800-711-8300 M-F.

I have probably the cheapest phones Verizon has. :o The ships have the tower for Verizon cell phone use. I used my Verizon on the ship every day because of a sickness in the family.

I have Verizon and it cost me $2.49 per minute outside of the US/San Juan, St Thomas.etc.. Free until I left there on my minutes. If not, I could still have used it in ports for the same price, and I did often. ;) There were no roaming charges for me. A flat $2.49 per minute for each call. On board or ashore in ports all over the Southern Caribbean.

The ship was $7.95 per minute to use their phones/service. :(

Verizon put me on International over the phone before I left home and it would roam and pick up anywhere we went except Margarita Island, Venezuela. No phone or computer service there for the whole day.

It is definitely worth it to use your own by first checking with your own company.

Before you leave home and the US, call your company and have them put you on International Roaming. It automatically switches over when you need it on the ship or off the ship.

My connections for my whole 13 day Southern Caribbean cruise were always clear as if the person were standing next to me. I never had a problem anyway in the Caribbean.

I talked to Verizon about service while in europe. They said my phone will not work (Motorola Razr). But they will "rent" me a GSM phone for a $9.99 shipping charge (including return) and only charge for roaming at the applicable rate. No other rental charge. They will temporarally deactivate my phone and activate the rental, so my current cell number will work. Reverse process when I get back, then return phone. I would assume this phone would work on board, but they could better answer that. The number to call Verizon is 800-711-8300 M-F.

I used this service for my recent trip to England. I wasn't charged any shipping fees. It was easy to do too.

Wraithe....I guess I thought everyone had at least all digital service these days.

My phone is nothing fancy and it worked in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico. Overseas, I had to borrow a different phone...Verizon lends them free for short term use. It did work on the Independence out of Southampton too.

I used my Verizon phone on the Radiance last year on our HI cruise. No problems, other than the total bill at $2.49/minute when we got back. In port, we were able to use the local connection. Also, two years ago we were able to call while in port in Jamaica, which was a bit cheaper.

I thought all RCI ships had cell phone service, so you probably should call them to find out if the ship you are on has it.

But, if you are only calling someone else on the ship, as others have said, get walkie talkies! I just saw that Costco had a great deal for a 4-pack, that probably is cheaper in the long run.

My Verizon phone worked on the Enchantment a few weeks ago. I haven't gotten the bill yet, but it's supposed to be $2.49 or $2.99 per minute while out at sea. My phone worked while in Cozumel. I can't remember if I used it in Belize or not but, according to the Verizon website, my phone should have worked there too. Make sure you have international calling added to your plan (it costs nothing), and make sure you dial the country code when calling back into the U.S. (something like 001 or 011 plus area code plus number).

My Verizon phone worked on the Enchantment a few weeks ago. I haven't gotten the bill yet, but it's supposed to be $2.49 or $2.99 per minute while out at sea. My phone worked while in Cozumel. I can't remember if I used it in Belize or not but, according to the Verizon website, my phone should have worked there too. Make sure you have international calling added to your plan (it costs nothing), and make sure you dial the country code when calling back into the U.S. (something like 001 or 011 plus area code plus number).

When I used my Verizon phone every day from the ship, or on shore to call back to the US, I did not have to dial anything but the regular phone number of my family member.

The reason was because Verizon put the International calling on my phone before I left home. (They do it right over the telephone.)

It automatically does all that for you once in place. I never had to dial any other numbers to reach my US numbers.

My calls were all $2.49 each outside the US, San Juan, St Thomas and etc.

Just off the Mariner 2 weeks ago. I have a Moto RAZR and it worked fine on the Ship and everywhere in the Eastern(SJ/St Thomas and St Martin. Also fine in Jamaica and Grand Cayman and Mexico. Not so on Labradee

On Our Plan SJ is considered part of our Plan, so all Calls, up to Our minutes limit are free. All the others are Roaming at Approx 2.50 a minute.

We used our Verizon phones on our West Carrib Mariner OS Mar 23-30 '08 cruise.

I don't remember which cities they worked in but I know that I had $150.00 in roaming charges!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The phones will say "roaming" all the time, but we were only charged when we were actually connected and talking. Thank goodness.

[/b]

When I used my Verizon phone every day from the ship, or on shore to call back to the US, I did not have to dial anything but the regular phone number of my family member.

The reason was because Verizon put the International calling on my phone before I left home. (They do it right over the telephone.)

It automatically does all that for you once in place. I never had to dial any other numbers to reach my US numbers.

My calls were all $2.49 each outside the US, San Juan, St Thomas and etc.

When in port, we had to dial the country code. And, yes, I had international calling. Maybe it depends where you are. We were in Belize and Cozumel.

Scroll just a little bit further down the page to the FAQ's and click on the link, answer #2 says that your all digital or tri-mode phone will work on the cruise ships. All of RCL's ships have cell phone coverage, but if you don't have one of these phones, then you're out of luck.

Most of ALL of the phones that are compatable with Verizon Wireless WILL work on all RCI Ships. There is a CDMA/GSM transceiver on all of the RCI Ships (and most mainstream Cruise Ships) These transceivers were installed (and operated by Wireless Maritime Services) several years ago.

You can check their website at http://www.cellularatsea.com/

Currently. . .you can use your cell phone on all of RCI, Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, NCL, Regent, Seabourne, Windstar. Other Cruise lines will be available soon. ..

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived