Travel Insurance with STA (student travel)

I have called STA Travel and asked whether the trip needs to be purchased thru them in order to get the insurance and the answer was no.

In the beginning of the policy PDF there are definitions and this is one of them:

“Travel Supplier” means the tour operator, hotel, cruise line, and/or airline that: (1) provides pre-paid travel arrangements for the Insured’s Trip.

I have purchased insurance twice thru their website and the cost is strictly based on the length of the trip.

Just thought I'd let you know about my experience.

Thanks for this info..I will take a look at it the next time we buy insurance..

Cheers..Betty

I have purchased travel insurance from http://www.statravel.com for years, including cruises, without booking travel through them-or being a student.

Note to tropicqueen: The quote they give you is per person, not per family, based upon the length of time you will be traveling. So the $48 policy would actually cost a family of 4 $192.

Ok, so now I have used/am using their services.

My ds18 is currently into week 5 of a 6 month stay in Ecuador (and is covered by STA). One week into his trip he broke his foot in the middle of the jungle. He called us on his way in to the hospital in Tena to say he might need more money :rolleyes: and would call us again when he knew more about his injury.

Freaking out (just a little bit), I called STA and told them what we knew. They told us they would serve as a medical concierge for us (if we needed it) and translate, get updates on his condition, and facilitate the exchange of information and follow his care. The would also facilitate the transfer of emergency funds if we needed that service. They gave us a phone number to give ds for 24/7 assistance- and he could call collect. The gave us instructions (get receipts, copy of medical records etc) and we will be reimbursed for all costs. (The hospital visit cost him $30! That included setting the break, cast, emergency room, xrays etc! At those prices we are encouraging him to break anything he wants.)

He has also had his cell phone and camera stolen. Turns out this is only covered if you buy the upgrade to the basic policy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents, this is a real company with good prices and they will ensure your trip regardless of your age. They will also insure you for things like para-sailing and diving....not all of the other policies will!

In any case, here is hoping you never need to use it!

Cheers!

we booked a river cruis in may and purchased insurance through sta..Unfortunately i was hospitalized 2 weeks ago(we were to have left on this trip last tuesday) and am unable to go.I have filed a claim --they were very helpful--i will let you know how it pays..First time after 40 cruise we bought insurance--thank yo nan

• 1 month later...

I am considering purchasing this insurance for a 35 day trip with a cruise next year. The total cost of this trip is over 10,000 +. We are "senior citizens" and none of the trip was purchased thru STA. ! am interested in hearing from any one in our situation that have purchased this insurance and then FILED A CLAIM.

Betty,

I think the difference comes from using two different websites that start with STA..the one that is staagents.com is specifically for travel agents, and the link you provided does show the limitation on requiring a student ticket from STA. I have not used that site.

The website www.statravel.com is the direct consumer/traveller site and does not show that student ticket limitation. That policy costs $48 and is the one in the link you quoted above (AIG Travel Guard policy underwritten by National Union)

If you click the Buy Now button on the insurance page, it pops up with 8 days for $48.

http://ibe.statravel.com/Statravel/travelinsurance/ti_Buy_InternationalInsurance.aspx?menuid=5003

But if it's a flat cost like this does it cover the cost of the missed vacation? Most policies are priced by age and./or cost of the cruise. The cruise lines policies are based on stateroom cost.

I am looking for something for Antarctica.

I have purchased this policy for 2 upcoming trips (but haven't filed a claim) and it covers a trip cost of up to $20,000. If you use this link

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/travelinsurance.htm

and click on "Description of Coverage" under Standard Plan you'll be able to see the limits for the various categories of claims.

Hope this helps.

Archived