Travel Insurance with STA (student travel)

I read that someone had booked the whole family with the student

travel insurance and it was a lot cheaper. The ages of the OLDER parents

didn't seem to matter.

Has anyone done that or know if that really would work ?

The Insuremytrip.com prices have really gone up !

Thanks,

Tropicqueen :(

I glanced at the site and couldn't download or see a sample policy. My vote is no. Somthing about $48 for trip insurance is definitely way too cheap. They don't ask for ages and other questions that are needed to properly price a policy. Thanks but no thanks.

STA's policy is a student-oriented version of the AIG Travel Guard policy, with additional benefits like cancellation of a trip due to finals, something of great interest to the target market.

The full benefits are listed on a link on the STA page and can be found here:

http://ww2.statravel.com/travel_insurance/International.pdf

It is very similar coverage to many other travel policies; whether it works for any single individual depends on their needs. If you happen to live in WA, you need to note that the above policy link is not available to you.

Will keep checking out different policies. Would never travel without it.

Have benifinited several times because we had occasions that without

having had it would have cost $$$$$!!

Tropicqueen ( waiting for 3/8/09 Carnival Victory) fom SJU

• 2 months later...
I read that someone had booked the whole family with the student

travel insurance and it was a lot cheaper. The ages of the OLDER parents

didn't seem to matter.

Has anyone done that or know if that really would work ?

The Insuremytrip.com prices have really gone up !

Thanks,

Tropicqueen :(

As just an update to this question. When we were planning our cruise on the Windstar out of Barcelona followed by 2 weeks in Italy we did considerable resarch into travel insurance and found STA to be a excellent choice. The insurance was very reasonable and covered everything that other much more expensive companies did and was underwritten by Berkely Care the same company that many cruiselines use. We were very happy and didn't need to be students.

According to their WEB site:

Please Note: Insurance is only available to people traveling on a STA Travel student ticket.

I can't understand how an entire family would qualify...:confused: Suppose someone purchased this policy & then put in a claim, if they were not on a student ticket, then what? :confused:

According to their WEB site:

Please Note: Insurance is only available to people traveling on a STA Travel student ticket.

I can't understand how an entire family would qualify...:confused: Suppose someone purchased this policy & then put in a claim, if they were not on a student ticket, then what? :confused:

It has been a couple years ago since we used STA travel insurance and at that time none of our party was traveling on a STA Travel student ticket. My suggestion would be that if you have any questions that you contact them directly.

@ 800-495-5498 or 800-781-4040 I found the following information you might want to check it out and yes I did see on some site the information regarding traveling on a student ticket in order to qualify for insurance.

This information was on one of their sites: "Sta Travel insurance also offer services to non-students and people over age of 25." I'm sure a phone call can clear up any concerns that may have. If you do contact them it would be great if you would report back to the status regarding non-student coverage.

Betty,

I don't see where they have that limitation on their current webpage, can you tell me where to find it?

I recall in the recent past STA had some sort of limit, but the only one I see now is the requirement to purchase an air ticket with STA if you want to purchase the STA domestic air insurance.

I contacted STA directly and they mailed policy information to me. Their price was significantly less than others but they didn't offer the med evac coverage we wanted for our upcoming TA. we've probably use them for cruises closed to home but not overseas.

I contacted STA directly and they mailed policy information to me. Their price was significantly less than others but they didn't offer the med evac coverage we wanted for our upcoming TA. we've probably use them for cruises closed to home but not overseas.

If that is the case, I wonder what the "$250,000 coverage for Emergency Medical Transportation and Repatriation of Remains" is for.

If that is the case, I wonder what the "$250,000 coverage for Emergency Medical Transportation and Repatriation of Remains" is for.

I said "they didn't offer the med evac coverage we wanted", I didn't say it wasn't offered.................. We all have different needs and their policy didn't meet ours.

Betty,

I don't see where they have that limitation on their current webpage, can you tell me where to find it?

I recall in the recent past STA had some sort of limit, but the only one I see now is the requirement to purchase an air ticket with STA if you want to purchase the STA domestic air insurance.

I Googled the WEB site & found it here: (right at top of page)

http://www.staagents.com/insurance.aspx

On the other WEB site: http://www.statravel.com/

It asked our ages & when I put a factious date in with our ages the price was well over $800..

We already have our insurance for our Alaska cruise, but this sound interesting ..

Betty

STA's policy is a student-oriented version of the AIG Travel Guard policy, with additional benefits like cancellation of a trip due to finals, something of great interest to the target market.

The full benefits are listed on a link on the STA page and can be found here:

It is very similar coverage to many other travel policies; whether it works for any single individual depends on their needs. If you happen to live in WA, you need to note that the above policy link is not available to you.

Cheryland...I scrolled down the entire PDF file on the WEB site you mentioned..

Are you sure this is the in-expensive Student policy that everyone is speaking about? Other posters are claiming the Underwriters of the in-expensive student policy is Berkley Group which I believe is on Long Island.. This is a completely different policy with AIG/Travel Guard.on the PDF file..

AIG Travel Guard policies are not inexpensive..We have one for our trip to Alaska & It's over $800...

Page one of this PDF file states the Underwriters for this particular policy is :

National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA,

The WEB site I'm referring to: http://www.staagents.com/insurance.aspx

states: Please Note: Insurance is only available to people traveling on a STA Travel student ticket...

On Insuremytrip.com have been told there is a new Insurance Co. which is selling policy's which is underwritten by "Nationwide"...Have been led to believe that they are a great deal less than most of the other policies...

Will try to find it & get back here..

Insurance continues to be very expensive & confusing, but is a necessary evil for many of us...;)

Betty

Betty,

I think the difference comes from using two different websites that start with STA..the one that is staagents.com is specifically for travel agents, and the link you provided does show the limitation on requiring a student ticket from STA. I have not used that site.

The website http://www.statravel.com is the direct consumer/traveller site and does not show that student ticket limitation. That policy costs $48 and is the one in the link you quoted above (AIG Travel Guard policy underwritten by National Union)

If you click the Buy Now button on the insurance page, it pops up with 8 days for $48.

http://ibe.statravel.com/Statravel/travelinsurance/ti_Buy_InternationalInsurance.aspx?menuid=5003

Betty,

I think the difference comes from using two different websites that start with STA..the one that is staagents.com is specifically for travel agents, and the link you provided does show the limitation on requiring a student ticket from STA. I have not used that site.

The website www.statravel.com is the direct consumer/traveller site and does not show that student ticket limitation. That policy costs $48 and is the one in the link you quoted above (AIG Travel Guard policy underwritten by National Union)

If you click the Buy Now button on the insurance page, it pops up with 8 days for $48.

http://ibe.statravel.com/Statravel/travelinsurance/ti_Buy_InternationalInsurance.aspx?menuid=5003

Thank you so much for clearing this up for us. It can be very confusing. Again I found this company to meet all our needs when we last used them for our European cruise and land vacation.

Do you really want to risk not having any coverage to save a couple of dollars?

Well said. I was thinking of the same thing myself. What happens if you need the insurance while cruising and the insurance company found you that you really were not qualified to have that coverage to begin with?

If you were not qualified to have the coverage, then it is the same as not having coverage. But as has been pointed out several times on this thread and in the details of coverage page, STA travel does not currently have any limit of coverage; they happen to cater to students, but anyone can purchase the insurance they sell and be covered.

Betty,

The website www.statravel.com is the direct consumer/traveller site and does not show that student ticket limitation. That policy costs $48 and is the one in the link you quoted above (AIG Travel Guard policy underwritten by National Union)

Thanks for the info. cheryland...We have our insurance now, but I've downloaded your post for future reference, & will look into it....

Well said. I was thinking of the same thing myself. What happens if you need the insurance while cruising and the insurance company found you that you really were not qualified to have that coverage to begin with?

I agree but before buying Insurance such as this, every one should get a copy of the policy & read it very carefully..Also they should ask plenty of questions..I would never buy insurance such as this without carefully checking it out..We've learned this from experience..

We were on an Amazon Cruise on HAL in 2006...One of the Cruise Critic ladies with us had her elderly Mother with her..They purchased Insurance thru an extremely well known U.S. Travel Agent...Her Mother had a fall & was taken by ambulance to a local Hospital in Manaus, Brazil...Our ship was delayed in Departing for two hours to await the ambulance..No one including Nurses & The physicians at this hospital spoke English...Her Mother was very ill & she could not understand how they were treating her...The Daughter tried to get her Mom Airlifted Home but the Insurance Co. would not approve it..After about a week she finally borrowed $50,000 from her hometown bank & requested a Medivac flight..They came to Manaus & had to stabilize her Mother before they could air lift her to a hospital near home..Unfortunately her Mom passed away a week later..

It is still very possible that her Mom would have passed away, but for this lady to be in a strange Hospital where she could not understand anyone was awful for her...She learned later that there was a Hospital within several miles where many nurses & physicians spoke English & they had not sent her there..Some pollicies state they will only send you to the nearest Hospital & not one of your choice...They could very well refuse your claim after finding out you did not qualify for this Insurance..

So please everyone don't buy insurance just because it's cheap..Check out the policy, the underwriters & ask others on CC if they have ever had to submit a claim...Ask for references..

JMO...Betty

Cheryland..Every time I go on both os these sites you posted it asks if I am a student & also our ages..Well we're not students & we're in the older population..;)

The PDf file with the policy you mentioned previously, specifically states you must purchase your travel thru STA travel...

This is the Quote: INDIVIDUAL ELIGIBILITY, EFFECTIVE & TERMINATION DATES

Persons eligible for insurance under the policy are any travelers who purchase a trip through the Travel Supplier, accepts, enrolls and pays the premium for

coverage providing they have not already departed on their Trip and the trip does not exceed 395 days.

UNQUOTE

The travel Supplier in this case is: STA Travel..Since we did not purchase our trip thru them we can't purchase their insurance..

I would be very carefull about a travel site offering a $48 pokicy for an adult non-student...I believe you are wasting you $$$...Suggest you call AIG Travel Guard & speak to their Agents about this policy..

We have a travel Guard policy for our Alaskan cruise & have spoken to their agents..They are very helpful...

By the way I was mistaken our policy for our Alaskan trip is a bit over $600 not $ 800 as I previously posted..

Cheers..:) Betty

I have called STA Travel and asked whether the trip needs to be purchased thru them in order to get the insurance and the answer was no.

In the beginning of the policy PDF there are definitions and this is one of them:

“Travel Supplier” means the tour operator, hotel, cruise line, and/or airline that: (1) provides pre-paid travel arrangements for the Insured’s Trip.

I have purchased insurance twice thru their website and the cost is strictly based on the length of the trip.

Just thought I'd let you know about my experience.

I have called STA Travel and asked whether the trip needs to be purchased thru them in order to get the insurance and the answer was no.

In the beginning of the policy PDF there are definitions and this is one of them:

“Travel Supplier” means the tour operator, hotel, cruise line, and/or airline that: (1) provides pre-paid travel arrangements for the Insured’s Trip.

I have purchased insurance twice thru their website and the cost is strictly based on the length of the trip.

Just thought I'd let you know about my experience

Linda, thank you for clearing this up for us. I have also used STA and found there was no requirements to be a student even the age of a student! Hopefully this will make others at ease with this great value in travel insurance.

Archived