What's with the bathrobes?????

Jiminkcmo

Ever since 2.0 was publicized and bathrobes were mentioned, everybody seems obcessed with whether or not bathrobes will be available in their cabin.

I sail on NCL almost exclusively and never even take a bathrobe with me.

In the morning I shower and dress long before going out the door for breakfast.

If I want to sit on the balcony, I am wearing PJs.

I have yet to see anyone wearing a bathrobe in the buffet lines at breakfast.

What is this intense need to wear a bathrobe in the cabin which you are sharing with your family or whoever else you have traveling with you???

Inquiring minds want to know. <G>

Jim

The robes are very nice, much like a spa robe, soft and cozy. For me at least, it means I don't have to pack one. I've seen people poolside with them on - as a cover up so they don't have to go through the halls in their swim suits. I wouldn't call it an obsession - but a very nice added touch.

HAHAHA!

Good question, Jim!

I haven't even owned a bathrobe since I was around 5 - and I certainly wouldn't wear one that may or may not have been used by the people in the cabin before me! :eek:

Add that to the long line of things that amaze me about other people and cruising!

Things like....chair hogging, smuggling booze, the need to eat lobster every day, carrying their own luggage on and of the ship, lining up for ANTYHING, etc....

It's a crazy world out there, but everything is important to SOMEONE, I've found.

It's best to ignore it and walk away! HAHA!

:)

I agree Jim.

I either just slip a pair of shorts on and a t shirt or windpants if it's a touch cool. I can't say I've found anything comfy about a robe that flaps in the breeze....

Jim, I can see you are not a woman. My wife loves the bath robes. they are great to use when getting out of the shower or tub after having a long day shopping or doing excursions while docked. Time to relax for awhile.:)

Thank you for alerting some folks to total comfort for a woman. Personally nothing is great about a towel wrapped around me after a shower but a bathrobe is like a hug.

4/27 on Dawn we had what RCCL calls waffle robes. No too comfortable but no 2.0 in the room as yet.

Jim, I can see you are not a woman. My wife loves the bath robes. they are great to use when getting out of the shower or tub after having a long day shopping or doing excursions while docked. Time to relax for awhile.:)

for flashing people on other ships as you come into port.

It's hard to flash when you are wearing a t-shirt and shorts but a robe is just right.

I am so glad NCL thought to add robes to Freestyle 2.0 - it is going to make my flashing those on Carnival, RCCL and HAL so much better. I never flash Disney ships because of the children on board.

Personally, I think it is a female thing. I am not a fan of robes, but my SO has asked me about the robes several times since I alerted her to the 2.0 changes for balconies :) If we can obtain one for her, I have no doubt she will lounge around the cabin in it while she reads a book.

To each their own.

Personally, I think it is a female thing. I am not a fan of robes, but my SO has asked me about the robes several times since I alerted her to the 2.0 changes for balconies :) If we can obtain one for her, I have no doubt she will lounge around the cabin in it while she reads a book.

To each their own.

You are really not helping my masculinity here people come on!!! Lol

I can not help liking the wrapped feeling and reading a good book or hearing what my children and wife got up to that day also it hides my belly :eek:

Ok, I have a rather funny story where a bathrobe can actually be a problem. On my last cruise on the Pearl, we were in an OS in front on deck 9. After a shower one night, I put on my robe and went out on the side balcony to have a smoke and enjoy the night air. While relaxing in the chair, I put my feet up on the glass balcony railing (not all the way up, I'm not that flexible, just resting on the glass). Our stewards came to the door a few minutes later with a message from the bridge. Apparently, when you add up the dark night, the light from inside the cabin, the bridge overhang, and the reflective glass, I was flashing just about everything to the men and women on the bridge :D. Thank goodness I have had a couple of children and have long gotten over any modesty, or I would have been really embarrassed. We laughed about it for days! My daughters thought it was so funny that on the last night at sea, somewhere around 4am, they donned the bathrobes and flashed the bridge (and the whole ship on the front camera) on our front balcony.. Bathrobes can be downright dangerous :D...

Robin

But I'm sure it's only for the men. When I get out of the shower, I then do my makeup and my hair, and that is always done in a bathrobe. Most women (I guess, the ones I know), always do their hair and makeup before they get dressed, so if you don't have a bathrobe, what are you supposed to wear for doing your hair and makeup? Put your jammies back on????? Yuck.

I always take a bathrobe with me that doubles as a swim cover up, but since we are doing a Med cruise and I don't anticipate a lot of beach/pool time, I can get by without a swimsuit cover, but I still want a bathrobe for after I shower and want to wear something while drying/styling my hair and doing my makeup - before I get dressed.

I hope that explains the mystery. I never thought I'd need to explain this.

HAHAHA!

I haven't even owned a bathrobe since I was around 5 - and I certainly wouldn't wear one that may or may not have been used by the people in the cabin before me! :eek:

Ha ha. On the lines where they are automatically in the room they have a "sanitary sleeve" on them so you know they've been washed. No fear you'll get a dirty one.

I'm a big guy and I like to put a robe on when I get out of the shower. The robe in the Romance Suite on the Gem was the first "one size fits all" robe to actually fit me. Really nice and soft, too. In one of the Dailies they mentioned the robes for sale and had two different prices, but it wasn't clear which category the robe I had fit into. My guess would be the higher one, since it was a suite which had all of the suite perks.

It wasn't worth buying compared to what I have at home already, but for a hotel/cruise robe, it was definitely the best I've had so far.

I must be a bigger guy than you, cause I have yet to have a robe fit me from any hotel room or cruise ship. I didn't realize the bathrobes were new to the 2.0 thing. I would have sworn we always have had bathrobes on the NCL cruises we have been on.

I always just pack my own. I don't care you can call it a woman thing, a man thing, etc. It is so comforting to me to be in my big warm bathrobe after I come out of the shower after a long day of touring, working, etc. I always bring my bathrobe and my big fully slippers..

I don't understand how some people need a night cap every night. I don't understand how some people are so busy they "forget to eat".. Hell.. I have been so busy I forgot my mothers name or where I live.. but NEVER have I forgotten to eat.. LOL..

THANK GOD we are all just different and different things float different boats. I am so glad we are not all alike.. that would be boring.. hehehehe.

HAHAHA!

:)

But doesn't that same principle apply to the beds, bedding, towels, glasses, plates, cutlery, sun loungers, chairs, seats etc...The list is endless :confused:

Surely the worst is the mattress rather than a robe that's probably been through a hot temperature wash, whereas the mattress can harbour these little critters :eek: Actually it's got me thinking, do NCL sanitise the mattresses between cruises :)

dustmite1.gif

But doesn't that same principle apply to the beds, bedding, towels, glasses, plates, cutlery, sun loungers, chairs, seats etc...The list is endless :confused:

dustmite1.gif

YES!!! The list IS endless! HAHA! :eek:

..and that awesome picture is exactly what I think of every time I have to use one of the items you mentioned above!

The robe I can defintitely live without! The bed...not so much! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing in my very own "MOMENT OF EWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww!"

Surely the worst is the mattress rather than a robe that's probably been through a hot temperature wash, whereas the mattress can harbour these little critters :eek: Actually it's got me thinking, do NCL sanitise the mattresses between cruises :)

dustmite1.gif

I was wondering about those comforters...No top sheet...Not sure if they were washed....I ask for a top sheet. I don't want to sit on a blanket/comforter/bedspread, let alone sleep with it touching me! Yuck!!!

Yes, I am very happy they are adding a top sheet. I've never slept in a bed without one, and I thought the lack of one was just weird.

As for the robe, I have one in my closet. The shoulders are covered in dust. :p I never use it. Give me a towel and then clothes! NCL's most likely will also hang unused in their closet.

We've used the robes (big, fluffy, warm ones) on our Alaska cruises. It's nice to get up early in the morning, slip on a robe over our pj's and step out onto our balcony and take in all the beautiful scenery and fresh cool air! Remember sunrise can be very early in the land of the midnight sun:) !

Archived