Dining with a toddler

mimmi

Question: Does anyone know if Carnival puts people that have little kids with other families with little kids?

I would hate to be in a table where people want to relax and don't feel like having little kids around...

Can I request a table for 4? We are 3 cruising...

Get on board early and go to the dining room and find the Maitre' D. Request a table for 4. You may or may not get it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Linda

Carnival usually does a pretty good job of matching up table mates with similar age groups, etc.

When you get on the ship, you can go find your table in the dining room. If it is not a table for 4, you can ask the Maitre D' to change you to a table for 4. He will try to accomodate you.

If you are assigned a larger table, you can go to dinner the first night and see who your table mates are. If you don't feel comfortable, or you think they would have a problem with your little one, then you can ask the Maitre D' to move you to a different table at that time (for the next night and beyond).

Enjoy your cruise! :)

On our last 2 cruises on Liberty and Freedom, we were seated at a table for 4 with out even requesting one. We were 3 (me, dh and 3yr old ds) but our ds only ate in the dining room with us once or twice on both cruises. He much prefered dining with his friends from Camp Carnival. This worked out wonderfully for all of us, ds had a great time and dh and I had nice quiet dinners!:D I'm sure if you saw the Maitre'd the first day you may be able to switch to a table for 4 if you aren't already assigned to one. Good luck.

Happy cruising :)

Barb

I think they do a really good job at grouping families with children together and couples with other couples. I have cruised 3 times with an infant - now 2, they have always placed us in a table that will accomodate a high chair. When you go to the dining room, there will be a high chair for your toddler already waiting for you - instead of a chair. The waiters and their assistants go out of their way to please/entertain children. I sail with 4 boys under 10 yrs old and the waiters have always taken care of the children.

On our last 2 cruises on Liberty and Freedom, we were seated at a table for 4 with out even requesting one. We were 3 (me, dh and 3yr old ds) but our ds only ate in the dining room with us once or twice on both cruises. He much prefered dining with his friends from Camp Carnival. This worked out wonderfully for all of us, ds had a great time and dh and I had nice quiet dinners!:D

Happy cruising :)

Barb

If you don't get a table for 4 they try to match you up with other families. On 2 of our cruises we got a table for 4. My 2 kids also would rather eat with their new friends at Camp Carnival leaving me and my husband to have quiet dinners together. The only problem was one night my husband wasn't feeling well and I had to beg my kids into going to dinner with me so I didn't have to eat alone. Luckily they are good kids and I didn't have to beg too hard.:)

Each time I traveled with my small grandkids we were seated at a table for our family but there were at least 6 of us. I also noticed we were near the entrance to the dining room each time. Possibly for convenience but probably for respect to other passengers. My agent always suggested we take early dining since that's when most families with young kids go and the kids wouldn't be cranky since it wasn't so late.

My son who was 17 and I were seated at a table with a high chair set up. No one showed up and it was a table for 8. We requested to move and sat at table for 2. The people with the baby seldom showed and the baby was crying. Glad we moved.

Thank you for the replies...It's the first time that I post a question kid related that people don't hammer me and judge me for bringing my toddler w/ me. Let me tell you, in this CC Board people are not very "children" friendly". I understand at some extent but sometimes cruising with a little one is the best option as how/where to vacation.

Thanks

Thank you for the replies...It's the first time that I post a question kid related that people don't hammer me and judge me for bringing my toddler w/ me. Let me tell you, in this CC Board people are not very "children" friendly". I understand at some extent but sometimes cruising with a little one is the best option as how/where to vacation.

Thanks

Don't let it bother you. There are a lot of us who have sailed or will sail with little ones. The haters are on here, but that is true for any subject brought up - not just cruising with children.

We are taking our son who will be 14 months old. Luckily we are going in a big group so we will likely have a table for just the group. If he gets cranky, we'll just politely leave the dining room. We don't expect him to, he loves going out.

Regardless of where you sit, wait until you see how out of their way your servers go to entertain the kids. My last cruise was with NCL and our waiter had a son the same age as mine. (2) He was incredible. We had other family members with us on the cruise so we sat with them. This cruise our son in 5 and he asks every day if it's time to go on the boat. My other son will 1 1/2 at cruising time. There is tons and tons of info about cruising with toddlers. Have a blast!

Carnival does not always put those w/ small children with similar table companions. On one of our cuises we took our 3 yro son. When we arrived at our table the first evening there were already 3 couples seated there w/ no children. I could read the looks on their faces like - oh boy, what are we in for? Luckily our little one was a perfect gentleman each night. Of course we would have taken him out and eaten on the Lido if he was not.

don't worry about the child haters...but remember that you can always go to the family cruising board and get lots of helpful tips. :)

I will go there! Thanks for the tip!

Don't let it bother you. There are a lot of us who have sailed or will sail with little ones. The haters are on here, but that is true for any subject brought up - not just cruising with children.

We are taking our son who will be 14 months old. Luckily we are going in a big group so we will likely have a table for just the group. If he gets cranky, we'll just politely leave the dining room. We don't expect him to, he loves going out.

Great job on your son!! My daughter eats out a lot with us..she is used to it. I will probably eat dinner with her earlier and then go to our dinner for couple nights..mommy and daddy need some alone time too..

Carnival does not always put those w/ small children with similar table companions. On one of our cuises we took our 3 yro son. When we arrived at our table the first evening there were already 3 couples seated there w/ no children. I could read the looks on their faces like - oh boy, what are we in for? Luckily our little one was a perfect gentleman each night. Of course we would have taken him out and eaten on the Lido if he was not.

I would hate to make people "suffer" if my daughter wasn't behaving...I would leave the table too. Last week I had dinner w. my girlfriend from work at Benihanas and I was happy that our table only had adults..I needed a kiddie break...I understand how some folks feel..thats why I think Carnival needs so match guests at dinner.

I agree. I cruise with my kids and even passengers on the ship can be mean. Infants and Toddlers pay the same rate as adults and it's their vacation too. I leave my kids to go to work, I am not going to leave them to take a vacation!

I agree. I cruise with my kids and even passengers on the ship can be mean. Infants and Toddlers pay the same rate as adults and it's their vacation too. I leave my kids to go to work, I am not going to leave them to take a vacation!

I really doubt that anyone "hates" kids... I believe what they "hate" are the parents who believe the cruise ship is one giant babysitter and let their children run rampant. I have witnessed kids tripping people carrying trays on the lido deck while the parents ignore their antics...

On another note what does it mean that your kids pay the same rate as adult? It does not entitle them to everything that is offered to an adult. They only pay the same rate because Carnival can sell that space to an adult...means nothing else..

They usually match you up with a family with kids, I've seen it like this on alot of my cruises. You can also get to the Maitre'D early when he opens the doors and request a table for 4. Its also good to book the earily time which should be 6pm so that your kids can enjoy their meal.

Fred

I really doubt that anyone "hates" kids... I believe what they "hate" are the parents who believe the cruise ship is one giant babysitter and let their children run rampant. I have witnessed kids tripping people carrying trays on the lido deck while the parents ignore their antics...

This is the issue for sure.

As far as toddlers in the dinning room. We took a two year old and she was great. They put us with a family with a 15 year old and they moved. They than put with three couples with us and they were great. All grandparents. We still talk with some of them. The main thing is the toddler was well behaved most of the time and when she wasn't one of us left with her. She also ate off the adult menu and the table mates thought this was great.

Thanks

Mimmi,

My DH and DD just sailed the Valor with my parents at a 6 person table (Washington Lower with a 6:00pm seating). My DD is a little older (5) but she joined us every evening in the Dining Room. Some nights were more challenging than others but our Head Waitstaff was fabulous. His name was Jorge (from Honduras) and he was wonderful with her. He always asked her if she wanted the big menu or the small menu and when she decided she needed spaghetti one night (not on the menu), he found a way to bring her some. The folks sitting around us were very friendly as were almost all of the people we met.

I still have copies of the Camp Carnival Capers if you want me to post them....

Sarah

This is the issue for sure.

As far as toddlers in the dinning room. We took a two year old and she was great. They put us with a family with a 15 year old and they moved. They than put with three couples with us and they were great. All grandparents. We still talk with some of them. The main thing is the toddler was well behaved most of the time and when she wasn't one of us left with her. She also ate off the adult menu and the table mates thought this was great.

Yep! Its all about how a child is raised. Naturally, up until a certain age, it is not the child's fault! .. You sound like you are doing a fantastic job! Any two year old that can sit in a formal dinning room and eat with adults has great parents in my book!:D

Archived