Embarking Procedures at Manhattan Cruise Port??

svagariy

Hi! I'm going on my first cruise on NCL Dawn in June & just wondering if anyone knew the procedures at the Manhattan Cruise Port.

I've read posts about handing non-carry on luggage to porters. Does everyone have to do this or can we just bring it to where it needs to go?

We live in Brooklyn so we're planning to just take car service in early. If we check in and the ship is not ready yet do we need to wait in line or do they just call some type of group number?

Thanks! :)

I have cruised out of NYC twice and this June will be the third (NCL Dawn on 6/8). Anything that is too big to fit through the x-ray machine must be checked with the porters. The x-ray machine is about the same size as the ones at the airport. The folks at the entrance to the pier will let you know if your bag is too big.

Please remember to tip the porters $2-$3 per bag. We usually tip more. Then, proceed up the ramp to parking, stop to allow the bomb sniffing dogs to do a once-over and park it. Then, take the elevators down to the main terminal and you're all set!

When are you sailing the Dawn? Have you ever been on her before? If not, be prepared to fall in love!!! We love the Dawn (this is our third time).

2Cruise4Ever: Thanks for the heads up about what to expect! I'm going on the Dawn to Bermuda on 6/1 and it will be my first cruise ever. I have been reading great reviews about the ship so definitely excited about it!:D

The checked bags do go with the porters they have cages right there which the load it on to and then go to the ship. There is no other place for you to check luggage.

There will be a line that you have to stand in to get check in(and a line to go through security.

When you check in you will be given a boarding card with a number on it(actually all there is is a number), and they will call the numbers when they are ready to board They have a sitting area to wait until your number is called.(generally with coffee and cold drinks) Its very easy and moves very quickly as long as the electricity doesn't go out.

When we cruised on the Gem in April, we took a cab from the hotel. Traffic was so bad on 12th heading up to 55th to get to the terminal we had the cab drop us off on 12th right in front of the ship. Walked across the street, there were no porters there,so took an elevator up one floor and walked into the check-in area. We had 29 inch suitcases and the x-ray machine handled them just fine. We rolled our suitcases on-board ourselves and were unpacked before the muster drill. Don't know if this is proper, but we didn't know any better and it worked great for us.

When we cruised on the Gem in April, we took a cab from the hotel. Traffic was so bad on 12th heading up to 55th to get to the terminal we had the cab drop us off on 12th right in front of the ship. Walked across the street, there were no porters there,so took an elevator up one floor and walked into the check-in area. We had 29 inch suitcases and the x-ray machine handled them just fine. We rolled our suitcases on-board ourselves and were unpacked before the muster drill. Don't know if this is proper, but we didn't know any better and it worked great for us.

Of course its proper if it wasn't they would have stopped you. But most people have more than one roll on bag...

• 4 weeks later...
I'll be on Carnival Victory on Sept. 27. Is this terminal set up the same way the NCL terminal is set up?

Yes the people at the pier doing the check in are rent a people all used by all the lines....

Archived