A very newbie question, please excuse.

Unless there has been a change recently, the Specialty Restaurant charge is $30 per person, which, according to Celebrity, takes care of the tips. There is a higher charge if you wish to pair selected wines with each of the courses. We have not done this one, but it is around $57 per person, I think. I am sure there will be other posters forthcoming who may have tried the wine pairing menu and who will provide you with exact costs. You have come to the right place to get some of the best information about cruises, whether you are newcomers or not! :)

Thank you so much Spearmint.

The reason I asked is that on another post (can't remember exactly where) I saw a menu posted from Celebrity for Murano and it listed a prix fix amount of $100.00. I had thought that the cost was around $30.00 per person but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you again. :)

We've enjoyed specialty restaurants on several cruise lines but were disappointed on Celebrity (our favorite cruise line). In Celebrity's specialty restaurant you're offered only 3 courses + cheese - appetizer OR soup OR salad, a main course and dessert. You can not order all courses as you do in the main dining room. (Admitedly there is plenty of food, but I enjoy more choices and smaller portions). Check out the menu and see if it is worth the extra money to you (as of April 2008 it was $30 per person on The Summit and Constellation).

Word to the wise...if you get a bad bottle of wine don't be intimidated into accepting it (as we were). Two of us tasted it and said it was bad. The wine steward tried it, said it was fine and poured it in our glasses. We've never had that happen before anywhere - and have probably only sent one bottle of wine back in 30 years.

Add to this that they brought a Chocolate Birthday Cake, even though they were told twice I don't like chocolate. You can special order favorite items (such as escargot) in the main dining room by asking your Maitre D a day or two in advance. Check out the menu once your're on board and unless you want a more intimate and flambouant dining experience you may be just as happy in the main dining room. Also check to be sure there is still music in the specialty dining room during dinner as advertised (if that is important to you) as we were told The Summit was discontinuing it after our cruise 3/29-4/10/08.

We had a wonderful experience. Cost was 30/per.

Ask for what you want. We enjoyed an apetizer that was not on the menu the second visit, and they arranged to serve it to us.

Never accept BAD wine. Life is toooooooo short.

We've enjoyed specialty restaurants on several cruise lines but were disappointed on Celebrity (our favorite cruise line). In Celebrity's specialty restaurant you're offered only 3 courses + cheese - appetizer OR soup OR salad, a main course and dessert.

At Normandie on Summit I ordered salad, appetiser 1, appetiser 2, entree, dessert plus cheese course. DH told me I had "over ordered", but the waiter didn't blink twice and served me all I had requested.

The meal was magnificent, as was our meal in Ocean Liners on Constellation. WELL WORTH the $30 extra (plus my additional tip for my ordering faux pas ;) )

Thank you so much Spearmint.

The reason I asked is that on another post (can't remember exactly where) I saw a menu posted from Celebrity for Murano and it listed a prix fix amount of $100.00. I had thought that the cost was around $30.00 per person but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you again. :)

In the Murano Specialty Restaurant and only the Murano Specialty Restaurant, they have a different wine pairing menu. While the additional cost of the meal is $30, the wine pairing is $100 additional on top of the charge for the meal. With the 15% added to the wine pairing, the total cost is $145.00 per person for the wine pairing menu. You can still order wines on your own, but they don't offer the standard wine pairings that they do in the other Specialty Restaurants for $30 additional or so. I hope this helps.

Our dining experience in Murano in December 2006 was one of the finest evenings we've had in any restaurant, on land or sea, and we were served just about everything on the menu .... I'm not kidding. They kept on bringing different things for us to try. For dessert, we got a taste of everything on the menu. No, they had no idea I was a Cruise Critic host (this was a short get away cruise just before the holidays and it was just our family). The staff was genuinely outstanding.

We've always had great experiences in the other Celebrity specialty restaurants as well.

I believe the prix fixe menu on Constellation last month was $65 per person with wine (can someone confirm?).

Thanks one and all for responding. I am one of those that believe that a good/great meal is truly a gift and an experience to be enjoyed and I am looking forward to dining at each and every restaurant that the solstice has to offer.

Host Anne, I can hardly wait to read the reviews of your cruise on her.

Thanks again.

Archived