Any one back from Summit Since Dry Dock

Is any one back from Summit since Dry Dock?

OK I know I am a dork and might sound like a broken record, but did they improve the observation lounge by removing some of the weirdness that was left behind by Cirque de Solie? (I'm pretty sure I spelled the wrong.) Beds gone? Cave decor still there? Sheets billowing and obstructing views?

Is any one back from Summit since Dry Dock?

OK I know I am a dork and might sound like a broken record, but did they improve the observation lounge by removing some of the weirdness that was left behind by Cirque de Solie? (I'm pretty sure I spelled the wrong.) Beds gone? Cave decor still there? Sheets billowing and obstructing views?

:( Hi,

Hate to disappoint you, but....this badly needed and long overdue clean up in the obs.lounge was not on the drydock '' menu''. If they found a way & time to restore it to pre-2005 shape, great surprise !!

Cheers

:eek:

We arrived back today from the Summit 29/4 cruise.

The ship was clean but very tired looking.

The only place that looked OK to us was the main restraunt.

The bars had deffinatly seen better days the worst being Edge of the World/Revalations

Martin Bar and Champage bar both looked ok

I felt the whole ship was dark and drab and no style about it at all. Maybe once it did but its deffinalty lost it

SouthCoastB got talking to a crew member and was told the new egines wont even be up and running for about another 2-3 weeks

Having not been on the ship before I cant say what it was like before to compare it to now, But I can say it needs a good refurb in many areas

Food was at best average. They need to look at the dinning isuess onboard. We found it very restrictive with not much alternative dinning

Apart from the weather we had a really good cruise but wouldnt sail X again its not the cruise line for us

Mandy

We were on the Transatlantic cruise, the last sailing prior to drydock. You hear so many different things from different people about ship, however it was our butler who said the drydock was going to be more mechanical in nature than cosmetic. Perhaps someone else more informed can elaborate, but I think they did some major overhaul (or replacement) with the engines.

Here's a link to Celebrity's press release which gives some specifics on the drydock:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00001a79M4vtFRwOXEmcykGZufb:12hdbcveb?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2008-04-28&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

We are just back like Saveapenny.

Main disppointments..... tea /coffee machines in the buffet areas playing up....having to supply urns for hot water /coffee instead.

HD told us at the CC meeting when asked, new ones on order.

Revelations is.... as compared to Cosmos on ML .... kinda smelly,no fresh air feeling , had linoleum type flooring in areas which seemed as if it had suffered a lot of traffic damage like scraping of a million chair legs....insufficient comfortable seating, no armchairs at the prow (where on ML you can read in comfort, watch where you go etc etc ) The ceiling ..no matter how diligently they clean the area will never look clean...drapings are everywhere...appear to darken the room ....waste of a good area IMO...didn't really enjoy going there even just for trivia sessions...depressing feeling.

Floor for dancing seemed as if it was waiting for its final covering...currently black and "dummy" ( translates as no slip)

The dance band in Rendezvous played acceptable music choices (Diamond Quartet), again floor there a bit "dummy"

Main dining ok and enjoyable. Sweet 16 cabin.... no damage and well cared for.

Addition of Asian choice food window in the buffet area was welcome.

Overall entertainment was acceptable but not terrific with exception of both the UK pianist, and US Scott Record....rest were disappointing IMO as were the shows as compared to the ones we have previously seen on ML .

The staff try extremely hard to please but sometimes this cannot be achieved because of faulty equipment.

The additional generator installed during drydock to allow the ship to use the less expensive fuel to run all facilities while berthed had not been used while we were on this cruise..... still to come.

I don't think the decor had been changed much (if at all?) during drydock time.Maybe they shampooed carpeting or something but nothing major seemed to have been done...although we have no previous experience of this ship..but it seemed to me if they had been going to try to improve anything decor wise in the three weeks in drydock, they could have revamped the Revelations area by tearing all the current stuff out and starting again from scratch...sorry to say, it was pretty awful by comparison with what ML offers in the same area.

I may not be a regular X cruiser but I do know the difference between worn and drab and good condition

Reread BEAV's post, I believe that he was referring to someone who would be more informed about engines and generators, not more informed about the decor.

To LWH, I'm disappointed to hear that they haven't ripped out all that Cirque de Solie stuff. I enjoy that lounge for viewing the ocean during the day and it sounds like it might not be as enjoyable as the ships that didn't get the "cirque" treatment. But not sailing till November, maybe they'll have a chance to get rid of it by then.

Reread BEAV's post, I believe that he was referring to someone who would be more informed about engines and generators, not more informed about the decor.

To LWH, I'm disappointed to hear that they haven't ripped out all that Cirque de Solie stuff. I enjoy that lounge for viewing the ocean during the day and it sounds like it might not be as enjoyable as the ships that didn't get the "cirque" treatment. But not sailing till November, maybe they'll have a chance to get rid of it by then.

Suzanne, we did not ask anyone if they intended to re-do the Revelations at any time but my impression is I think it is going to be left as it is now..from what I can gather some things have already been removed ( probably the Cirque du soleil stuff) and what you have now is a residue of that..... personally it spoiled the whole ambiance of the ship for me.I could put up with the other inconveniences as simply unexpected irritants ..but we had looked forward to sitting reading / viewing up there and frankly it just did not match what we have experienced on other X ships. I don't know how they think it is acceptable in its current state for the use it gets ???

Even during the Capt. club cocktail party you had to sit on hard backed chairs if you were unfortunate enough to arrive a little late,or perch on a couch (with no back support ) formed in a circle , or whatever else some designer originally had thought would be quirky or ????....just not up to scratch IMO...sorry to say!

Yvonne

You are correct ... I was referring to anyone who knew more about the engine changes/repairs, etc. As to decor, all I can go by is what our butler told us pre-drydock that very little cosmetic-wise was in the works.

we were on the summit, and loved sitting on the day beds up in the lounge. thought they were great. it was a nice place to get away and not be bothered. what "blocked your view"? i could see the ocean. who wants to always sit in a chair? not me.

we were on the summit, and loved sitting on the day beds up in the lounge. thought they were great. it was a nice place to get away and not be bothered. what "blocked your view"? i could see the ocean. who wants to always sit in a chair? not me.

Obviously you have been on a different ship...or have never experienced a better lounge than Revelations by comparison...nothing blocked the view if you wanted to look into the lounge area rather than look ahead.... you could only see out from the sides sitting comfortably ...the chairs up front were hard backed, stood in two's, set on platforms ,facing into the ship rather than looking ahead, nothing soft about them!

Depends on how long you want to be in there if you don't want to sit down and enjoy the ambiance.... who wants to stand all the time?Personally I did not find the atmosphere fresh either...the area had a smell. Horses for courses comes to mind.

From all of you newly back cruisers from the Summit, how about posting a review of your cruise?

Let everyone know what you liked and disliked but most importantly, any noticeable changes made to the ship.

Thanks

Mark

Archived