Overnight in Florence??

cruznut1111

I'm wondering if spending night one in Florence would be a good option instead of returning to the ship in Livorno and then going back for day two.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Don't see any problem in your doing this. Last year the Insignia was docked for 2 days in Alexandria and we stayed offship overnight in Cairo and returned the next day without any problems at all.

Absolutely a great idea. Florence is one of the most walkable cities in Europe. From the train station to the Ponte Vecchio, everything is within an easy stroll. Do consider getting tickets in advance, though, to the museums.

Bill

Thanks Rosslyn & Billy5.

I just got our post-cruise b&b in Rome booked, so now I'll start on Florence. If it was okay in Cairo, it should be okay here.

Yes, I'll be sure to get my museum passes ahead or else stop in one of the oddball museums and get a multiple pass.

Any good ideas on nice, not over-the-top, places to stay?

Just don't count on doing it by train as strikes happen with little or no notice. One occurred between Livorno Day 1 and Livorno Day 2 on Azamara Quest's recent "Best of Italy" cruise and many guests had to find (expensive) taxis to take them back to the port from Florence overnight hotel stays.

We stayed in the Hotel Alessandra two years ago. It was very centrally located near the Ponte Vecchio, not too expensive and the owner gave us a wonderful restaurant recommendation. They had a modest breakfast included and we had a really lovely large room with a slight Arno view.

Cruiseyguy is right about random train strikes, but my advice would be just the opposite. Don't let fear of random events stop you from seeing and enjoying the world. Bombs can go off in Bologna or in Kansas City. Earthquakes can strike China or Greece. Tidal waves can inundate Thailand or Atlantic City. Train strikes are equally common in France and in Italy, but I would hope such unpredictable events will not deter you from traveling and enjoying.

Bill

Just don't count on doing it by train as strikes happen with little or no notice. One occurred between Livorno Day 1 and Livorno Day 2 on Azamara Quest's recent "Best of Italy" cruise and many guests had to find (expensive) taxis to take them back to the port from Florence overnight hotel stays.

Yes, good point. I do need to figure that possibility since Italy is notorious for strikes. It may make the inconvenience of a car look a little better. Ideally, we would be able to do a two day "Florence on Your Own."

We stayed in the Hotel Alessandra two years ago. It was very centrally located near the Ponte Vecchio, not too expensive and the owner gave us a wonderful restaurant recommendation. They had a modest breakfast included and we had a really lovely large room with a slight Arno view.

I checked this hotel out and it really looks good. I am still leaning a bit toward Hotel David, but that peek-a-boo view may tip the scales.

Cruiseyguy is right about random train strikes, but my advice would be just the opposite. Don't let fear of random events stop you from seeing and enjoying the world. Bombs can go off in Bologna or in Kansas City. Earthquakes can strike China or Greece. Tidal waves can inundate Thailand or Atlantic City. Train strikes are equally common in France and in Italy, but I would hope such unpredictable events will not deter you from traveling and enjoying.

Bill

Good advice for all travelers. Last time we spent a month in Europe we flew into Frankfurt right after a bombing. Top-notch security and no crowds. We believe in "Plan for the Worst and Expect the Best."

In the name of full disclosure, if you have any difficulty with stairs, then Alessandra may not work for you. There is a flight of stairs, about a dozen, to the elevator that takes you to the main floor. THis is actually quire common in Florence. And the elevator is one of those European elevators, the size of the bathroom on the ship, but you can manage a suticase or two and a person and make a couple of trips if necessary.

:D

I'm wondering if spending night one in Florence would be a good option instead of returning to the ship in Livorno and then going back for day two.

Does anyone know if this is possible

Cruznut-

Here is some fine print you should be aware of before you decide to stay overnight off the ship:

The Regatta visits cruise ports in the itinerary under "yacht priviliges". By these arrangements, cruise passengers are permitted ashore for sightseeing purposes with a minimum of government regulations. Under rare circumstances, passengers may be embarked, or finally disembarked at local ports but such arrangements must be made in advance.

Passengers electing to leave or join the cruise, en route are advised that they may be assessed any additional port dues, levies or taxes incurred as a result of changes in the ship's status occasioned by such local traffic.

Such port dues, levies and taxes shall be pro rated among the passengers embarking or disembarking at the local port.

You wouldn't technically be disembarking, however, if it were us, we'd take the path of least resistance and sleep on the ship.

As long as you know all the rules, you can make the decision that is right for you .....

Hope this helped-

Stan & Jim

Thanks StanandJim.

That's just the kind of info I need. I'd have a hotel booked without ever reading the fine print.

I want to agree that this wouldn't be a true disembarkation, but not sure I want to take the risk without knowing the price. I'll see if I can get an official answer. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived