First thing to do when on Ship?

first_timer2

I know this question will sound stupid, but do we have to book all the restaurants for our stay or is this automatic? For example, if we have late dining, can we show up at any restaurant at that time and will have a table?

It’s my understanding that once assigned a dinning time, early or late, you have that time for the balance of the cruise. Unless a table opens up in the alternate time slot you are stuck with your choice.

I just returned from the 102 day Around the World Cruise on the Pacific Princess. We had late dinning and were very happy with it. Early dinning was more popular and there were few changes available. We have always liked late dinning because there seems to be fewer children and on port days you have more time to relax and clean up after shore excursions.

For breakfast and lunch we migrated to the Panorama Buffet and had both of those meals there exclusively for the last month or so. The buffet was open from 6 AM until 5 PM on at sea days. One section, about ten or so, of the last tables in the buffet area is roped off and this area is called The Bistro. They have a menu to choose from and the buffet line is closed.

The Buffet is open on port day evenings when the excursions might be coming in late.

My experience with the two specialty restaurants, The Steak House and Sabatini’s, was disappointing. They were not very popular with the rest of the passenger either. On two occasions that I eat at The Steak House we were the only table being served. At the Sabatini’s there were two or three other tables being served. The biggest table was all crew.

We sailed on the Golden Princess on the one week cruise out of New York in 2003. On that voyage the specialty restaurants were very popular and you needed to get a reservation in ASAP. As I recall you were limited to two reservations until all of the passengers had a chance.

On our ship there was a poolside grill. The hamburgers were great, the hot dogs were lousy.

The pizza was great as was the pasta.

And then there is room service.

I don’t think that you will go hungry.

Cheers

We get on the ship as soon as we can and head for our cabin. We unpack our carryons, setting aside cameras, sunscreen for on-deck exploration. We check to make sure things are all right with the cabin, and often meet our cabin steward if he or she drops by then (we have never pre-tipped; we do leave the autotips on and often extra tip at the end of the cruise). We also make sure the life jackets are there as often the kid's one isn't and needs to be requested in time for the muster drill.

I also check the Patters and the kid's program Patters and see when the fun zone registration is.

Then we go to the Horizon to have lunch. Since we get traditional dining and don't use specialty dining, that's one thing we don't have to bother with.

We then explore the ship and take part in the muster drill (on Princess you don't wear your jacket there, you carry it; and the drills are inside). After wards we take the stairs to our cabin and leave the jackets.

Then we find a nice place for sailaway.

If you decide to dine away from the Traditional or Anytime venues, I suggest going for the Specialty Restaraunts on Formal Night. Usually much less crowded and with less diners, great service. Regardless of which night, reserve early as they tend to fill up quick.

As you explore, a simple item to look for is the color of your hallway carpet. Typically, port side is one color, starboard another. This makes it handy when you're getting off the lifts in determining which way to go.

Definitely the thing to do is to have a carry on with your bathing suit and suntan lotion. You get to go to your room and check things out, make sure that they have left you a bathrobe if you want one, meet the cabin steward and ask him for anything you want.

Change into your bathing suit, and head to the sunshine!!! The pools on the lido deck are surrounded by lots of food - so we plant our stuff on a few chairs and go and get some food and eat poolside!!! It's all good!!

Another first to do. If your considering doing the Chefs Table, if it's available on your cruise, make those arrangements as soon as you get on. IMO it's well worth the extra money. Enjoy your cruise.

Well, I know what I do first thing... grin from ear to ear! Ahhhh....back "where I belong!" sorry, no practical suggestions beyond what's been stated already. Have a great cruise!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

(back on the Crown in October --- WOOHOO!!)

After we dump everything off in the cabin, we head to the buffet for lunch. That’s where we meet up with the rest of our group. Every one confirms their dining table(s) so I know we are all together. If not, its off to fix that. But, if everything is great we start with a tour of the ship. After our first cruise (on the original Pacific Princess which was very small) we realized that there were many things we didn’t see so we always do this first now. Start at the top deck and walk it front to back, down stairs then back to front and continue until you’ve hit every deck front and back and everything inbetween. This way you’ll see what you like and want to go back to and you can’t say you missed a thing. On the way, you’ll pass the coke sticker places to buy one, you’ll pass the bars to pick up your drinks and be able to greet other passengers too.

I haven't even gone on my cruise yet, and already got the bug. Hubby and son laugh at me for being on this site all the time. Counting down the days, once for oldest son's graduation, then he leaves for the Marine Corps, then we go and sail away. By the way this is my 1st cruise.

We are on our first cruise and would really appreciate help from experienced cruiser. Can anyone tell us the first things we should do when we will get on the ship? (we are on a waitlist for late dining, is that okay or should we stay with the anytime dinning?) I'm confused by all the questions and answers on this board. I read a bit here and there but if someone can give us as much information as possible, we would really really REALLY appreciate it:D

Thanks to all

Hi,

Drop off your carry-on luggage. Hopefully you have pre-booked your Spa appts( go to Cruise Personalizer). If you want to eat at the specialty restaurants ( for a price) go DIRECTLY there and make your reservation.- Hint if its a port day allow enough time to get back to the ship (after your excursion etc) to shower, change and relax before dinner. The restaurants are good and it would be a shame to rush to dinner. Way too stressful.

If spa & restaurants are not your interests then go to the buffet have lunch, sit and enjoy the view then go for a walking tour (self guided) of the ship. Get your bearings. Relax its a vacation.

As for dinner times- this is a personal thing. DH & I go for any time- yes you may have to wait but its on your schedule. Hint- if you plan to eat between 6:30- 8:00pm MAKE a RESEVATION- go to your assigned dinningroom and the staff will book you.

Most important decide what you want and like to do. Just because "everyone" is going to excursion ABC doesn't mean its for you. Review the excusion info and do your research on line for what interests you.

Enjoy

Carole

One suggestion I can make is before you even leave home. Be sure and pack a power strip. No matter what ship or line I've been on, there's never enough electrical outlets and they're never where most convenient.

I have a laptop, camera, I-Pod, electrical toothbrush to keep charged. It's like one's American Express card; Don't leave home without it!!

Archived