problems with ncl gem

cheermum42

I just returned from a transatlantic cruise on ncl's new ship the gem and it was the worst experencie I have ever received from ncl. I would like to know if anyone else was on this ship. We left nyc on April 19th and cruised to Portugal, Spain, Italy,France, and stopped in Barcelona.

I really enjoy cruising with ncl but this ship had a lot of problems, mainly being the fact there I heard there wass 825 new employees that had just boarding the ship for this cruise anyway I would like to hear what others have to say about it.

We're booked on the Gem for the 6/8 cruise. Can you please be more specific about what the problems were??? Do you have any tips for future Gem cruisers that you wish you had known??? Thanks for your advice!

If it is a new ship wouldn't all of the employees be "new" - does the OP with their first ever post - so welcome to the CC boards - really mean new to NCL or the ship.

Cheers

Dennis

I just returned from a transatlantic cruise on ncl's new ship the gem and it was the worst experencie I have ever received from ncl. I would like to know if anyone else was on this ship. We left nyc on April 19th and cruised to Portugal, Spain, Italy,France, and stopped in Barcelona.

I really enjoy cruising with ncl but this ship had a lot of problems, mainly being the fact there I heard there wass 825 new employees that had just boarding the ship for this cruise anyway I would like to hear what others have to say about it.

Could you please elaborate on what the problems were? Others have raved about the crew and the ship. What specifically did you find to be unacceptable?

PE

Sailing on the Gem in less than a week...

So what problems did you encounter? Was the ship in bad shape? (Hard to believe since it's new) Rude employees? Bad food? Poor entertainment? Be more specific! Most reviewers have come back with very positive things to say about the Gem.

I was on this cruise. The OP is correct there were hundreds of new employees on the ship. The only lousy service we encountered was in the Blue Lagoon. Many others we spoke to had the same complaint. They need to make some changes with how the place is run. Lots of confusion. Besides that everything was fine. We had a great cruise.

I was on this cruise. The OP is correct there were hundreds of new employees on the ship. The only lousy service we encountered was in the Blue Lagoon. Many others we spoke to had the same complaint. They need to make some changes with how the place is run. Lots of confusion. Besides that everything was fine. We had a great cruise.
of course new crew members are going to result in some service not running as smoothly as we may like. I think you are giving a better overall view than the OP. WE sailed the Jewel when she was only a few weeks old, it was probably the best cruise of our lives, but there were some service problems that needed attention. I am glad you had a great time, hope OP will come back with a better overall report on what made this cruise the worst experience he/she has ever received from NCL. Of course, like many, I am always a little leary of those first time posters that have nothing but negatives to report.

Nita

Of course, like many, I am always a little leary of those first time posters that have nothing but negatives to report.

Nita

I was thinking the same thing. We were also on the Gem in February and only recognized one crew member from that cruise on this transatlantic (not including on board management). We were told many of the previous crew were not allowed to work in Europe due to visa restrictions or something. So we had a lot of new employees on this sailing. I'm sure things will improve in the coming weeks.

hope OP will come back with a better overall report on what made this cruise the worst experience he/she has ever received from NCL. Of course, like many, I am always a little leary of those first time posters that have nothing but negatives to report.

Nita

I try to give negative reviewers the benefit of the doubt, even if they are new as long as they provide details. I will remain skeptical of this person's opinion until they return with details. But if it is a one hit wonder, then I give their opinion zero credibility.

Exactly the type of negative review that is believeable and creditable.... a review with specific details of what was wrong. (and even a suggestion on how to improve.)

We'll have to wait and see if this is a hit-and-run, one-hit wonder.

To the OP, if you come back, please provide some details. "Worst experience" and "a lot of problems" doesn't give us much info.

I try to give negative reviewers the benefit of the doubt, even if they are new as long as they provide details. I will remain skeptical of this person's opinion until they return with details. But if it is a one hit wonder, then I give their opinion zero credibility.

Exactly the type of negative review that is believeable and creditable.... a review with specific details of what was wrong. (and even a suggestion on how to improve.)

I can be even more detailed regarding the Blue Lagoon. We witnessed passengers being served before others who had been seated much earlier. We got up and walked out on the last day of the cruise after waiting 20 minutes for our order to be taken. We witnessed three other tables also walking out before us for the same reason. My suggestion for improvement is to assign numbers to passengers when they are seated so this way people will be served according to when they arrive. This will cut down on the amount of confusion we witnessed. The last thing the cruise line wants is for people to have a bad experience the day before the cruise concludes.

Archived