Seven Mile Beach on your own?

bratgrr1

We are thinking of foregoing a planned excursion through the ship and hitting the beach on our own. Are there any spots on the beach that have a water trampoline, water iceberg, etc, lots of things for my teen son to do? Is taxi transportation readily available?

Would you advise hitting the beach on our own or booking something through the ship?

Thanks!!

We did it on our own just walked a short way explored the island along the way and found a spot to camp out for the day. Then we just hailed a cab for our ride back to the ship!

My DH, DD and best friends snorkeled there were waverunners to rent etc. But we just enjoyed our day at the beach, it was awesome!

We were at 7 Mile beach in January and just got off the ship and took one of the local small busses to the beach that were advertised right out the gate. They have a big sign that advertises $5 per person to one beach and then higher prices below it to other beaches. We wanted to go to the cheaper one but when we got on the bus the driver announced that she would highly recommend paying a couple more $$ (each) to go to the best beach, (less rocks, etc) which was just down a little farther. Everyone went along with the idea, and considering there were about 50 people in the bus the profit just went up at least $100 to go a little farther. We were paying for 7 people so that was an extra $14. just from us. Interestingly enough my DH and I went for a walk down to the other beach we originally wanted to go to and we could not tell any difference in the beach. The other problem we didn't like by taking these busses is that you had to sit and wait for them to be filled up before they would take off. Next time I think I would take my own cab.

The beach was beautiful though and the kids rented the waverunners and went on the banana boat and snorkeled. Lots to do and very beautiful!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. i think that makes the ship's excursion unnecessary.

In this case, I agree! For us, we made our own shore excursion on Cayman. We arrived on the island before 7 Cayman time. As the shops weren't open yet, we took our own taxi to the beach. On our time, we got our own taxi back to the shopping area for lunch and shopping time. On Cayman it's that easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. i think that makes the ship's excursion unnecessary.

We booked the excursion for seven mile beach through Carnival for $29.00 each. Can anyone tell us how nice that beach area was and was it worth the price? Thank you!

We booked the excursion for seven mile beach through Carnival for $29.00 each. Can anyone tell us how nice that beach area was and was it worth the price? Thank you!

Does it include anything other than transportation to/from the beach? If not, cancel if you can. Most sections of Seven Mile Beach are pretty similar, at least the common stops for cruise ship visitors.

Likely the ship excursion is taking you to the Beach Club Colony. To me, the beach there seemed almost identical to the beach at the Royal Palms and Sea Grape beaches. It's nice, but so is most of Seven Mile. And, if it's the same as the excursions I saw when we were staying at the Beach Club, it might include a drink and "use of the facilities" (ie. restrooms, showers, chairs). At $29, it probably won't include lunch (correct me if I'm wrong). Transportation tends to be pre-arranged taxis where you show them your wristband to board, not a bus that goes at any set time.

A taxi to either Royal Palms or Sea Grape is about $4-6 US per person each way. Both of those locations have rental beach chairs and umbrellas, watersports, a restaurant/snack bar, restrooms and showers, etc. A chair is, what, about $5? It's much cheaper to just go on your own and purchase what you need as you need it. And both those locations usually have lots of taxis available for the return trip whenever you're ready.

The webcam for Royal Palms - http://www.reefgrill.com/ - will give you an idea of what their section of beach looks like. There's also some pics of the Beach Club Colony beach on their website - http://www.caymanresortsonline.com/beachclub/ - so you can compare.

determine what is included like the other pax mentioned..we just got back a few weeks ago..we walked a block adn got on a bus which is really like a mini-van not a big city bus..$2.50 went to sea grape beach on 7 mile..they have calico jacks right there for food/drink, restrooms, shaded picnic area. the lunge chairs were $10 and we had to give our set sail pass so we would not give our chair to anyone when we left..no problem, pretty beach no snorkeling but very nice and clean, soft sand..showers too. bus stop across the street. the taxis like to fill up b4 they will take off..bus is $2.50 and they runn every 10-15 min..goes right back to the bus station..which is a parking lot next to the library. easy walk, right by all the shops..ask the pirate outside the jewlry store, he will tell u where! cindy

We took a cab to Public Beach for $4.00 each person. There were brightly painted public "cabanas" (free) to use, as well as a playground that my 6 year old enjoyed. There are also restrooms, and showers to rinse off after swimming. We almost did the Sea Grape beach excursion, but I am glad we didn't. We practically had the beach to ourselves. The taxi lets you off right at Sea grape Beach, so if you want drinks/snacks, you can just walk down. We stayed and snorkled and played for about three hours, then caught the public bus ($2.50 pp) back to town. We then had a few drinks at Margaretaville (sp) while the kids swam at the pool. They LOVED the slide. We sat poolside in a cabana. It was FUN!!!!! (DD 19, DD 16, DD6, DH, myself all agree to go back to both the public beach and M-ville)

Are there any spots on the beach that have a water trampoline, water iceberg, etc, lots of things for my teen son to do?

As to this part of the OP's question, the answer is no. No place along Seven Mile Beach has a water trampoline or water iceberg.

Many sites do rent snorkel gear, jet skis, kayaks, or other water toys. Many places can arrange for a parasailing ride with beach pickup from nearly anywhere on Seven Mile Beach.

We then had a few drinks at Margaretaville (sp) while the kids swam at the pool. They LOVED the slide. We sat poolside in a cabana. It was FUN!!!!! (DD 19, DD 16, DD6, DH, myself all agree to go back to both the public beach and M-ville)

Are you saying that Margaritaville has a pool & slide? If so, I'd like more info on this. Are kids allowed at M-ville? Is there a cover fee to use the pool & slide? Thanks!

No cover charge, and yes, kids are welcome. The "party" was inside while the more laid-back family atmosphere was outside (imho). My 6 year old as well as my two older teenage daughters had a blast!! We just walked in and asked the waitress if it was okay to sit outside in the covered cabana area. She said, Of course. The slide is FAST!!!!!

Sorry to hijack topic .............................

No, but the taxi ride was only like 10 minutes.

And honestly, DH and I were only at the beach for like 2 hours tops before our shopping excusion... While I would have loved to have spent all day there because it's just gorgeous, we wanted to spend the bulk of our day shopping. Point is, 2 hours is enough time IMO to enjoy 7MB.

Oh Margaritaville looks fun to go to for an hour or so! Is it hard to find? Is it walkable from the ship or need a cab?

Margaritaville is not at all hard to find' date=' and definately walkable. It is basically right across the street from where the tender docks are.

Look for this peach colored building...

[img']http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/41881/2155782820103423144S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]

There's a Margaritaville shop downstairs and the restaurant/bar/slide/more shopping are upstairs. That's right, folks... a two-story Margaritaville!

Archived