weather in mid -aug

Vanina

Last year we had fabulous weather - most of the time I wore a short sleeve T-shirt, jeans and an unlined jean jacket. Many times the jacket had to come off. However, I know that's not always the case. Like they say - layer, layer, layer!

My experience in Alaska in mid August has been very good. But that wouldn't prevent me from packing for rain and cool weather as you are right on the cusp of the cooling down period and that changes year to year.

I did cruisetour from Aug 18-28 '07. Cruise from Vancouver (arrived to sprinkles and overcast sky), to Tracy Arm (pretty sunshine day), to Juneau (pouring down rain most of the itme in port) to Skagway (partly cloudy).

Up the Yukon Whitepass RR partly cloudy but clear views below, no fog or rain clouds. Onto the coach to Whitehorse with sprinkles along the way, to Dawson City (sprinkles to downpour), riverboat Yukon Queen to Eagle (sprinkles along the way) to Chicken to Tok, to Fairbanks (sunny day) on the Domecar to Denali (clear skies/sunshine) arriving at around 12:30 with the TWT scheduled at 2:30 but didn't actually depart until about 3:00 with showers off and on from about 7:00 to 11:00 pm. Dome car to Anchorage sprinkles along the way to our final day dawning sunny and clear in Anchorage for flight home.

I would say we had wet rainy COLD days about half of the 11 day tour. I had a winter waterproof parka and an umbrella with me at all times. As well as y long underwear beneath my sweatsuits. I did take gloves and a hat, but never needed to use them.

Archived