Difference between Love Boat Show and Sailing Now

vickie_bernie

[quote name='YellowDog'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]First off, this thread is hysterical. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[/quote]

One of my favorite threads on any of the boards.

I think Captain Stubing (aka Murray Slaughter) may have been the last american captain on a cruise ship.

If I'm correct, I was on the ship that became the Pacific Princess when I was very young! It was called the MS Sea Venture and left from NYC to Bermuda in this mid-70's.

Remembering the show, the stairway and the pool area were the only exact reproductions of the original ship. Everything else was pure Hollywood!

[quote name='daveb82']If I'm correct, I was on the ship that became the Pacific Princess when I was very young! It was called the MS Sea Venture and left from NYC to Bermuda in this mid-70's.

Yes, you are correct. The Pacific Princess was built as the Sea Venture (the first of two ships for Flagship Cruises). She and her sister, the Island Venture, were built for the NY-Bermuda run. Only a year after the Island Venture was built, she was chartered to Princess Cruises and renamed Island Princess (still registered in Norway). When P&O bought Princess in 1974, they added their Spirit of London (renamed Sun Princess) and registered the IP in the UK. They also bought the Sea Venture, took delivery in 1975, and renamed her Pacific Princess (and changed her registry from Norway to the UK). When the ships were changed from Norwegian to British registry, the officers changed from Norwegian to British (one of Sea Venture's captains went on later to become the first captain of the Norway), but the galley and dining room staffs (Italian) stayed. Many of them went on to be longtime Princess staff.

So why was the Pacific Princess chosen to star in the Love Boat? The Sun Princess was used for the first Love Boat pilot movie in 1976. She was also used for a Columbo episode. It was felt since Pacific Princess was the newest, and least known ships, Princess had them film aboard for the exposure (not to mention the fact that Island Princess could, and did several times, serve as a stand in giving more flexibility).

It was somewhat ironic (and nice, in a way) that Pacific Princess closed out her Princess career doing the same run she was built for, after cruising the world with Pricness.

[quote name='vickie_bernie']After reading the Captain Stubbing posts I had to go out and get the First Season DVD and have just finished watching all the episodes. Love it, and it brought back all kind of memories.

One thing we commented constantly on how things are so different now on a cruise or how they are the same.

Would love to hear what you think some of the differences are. Or what is still the same.

- security is way tighter, no way could you just walk on and be a stow away now.
- You don't need to see Julie of Golpher to find out what cabin you are in[/quote]

Having cruised regularly since the mid 1970's, I have seen many changes - not all of them good. The television show "Love Boat" was never realistic and had nothing to do with real cruising....it was simply entertainment.

Archived