Stockholm input please!

I'm glad you were able to organize your tours with alys, and I hope you all have a great time.

I did the Frommers walking tour of Gamla Stan as my first stop and then took a ferry from the water edge of Gamla Stan (I think you can also take a taxi) to the Durgarden (sp??) peninsula to go to the Vasa Museum and to Skansen. We did all this in about 7 hours and also walked both ways to our ship, docked about a 20-minute walk from Gamla Stan. All of the sights that we saw were definitely a "10" on a scale of 1 to 10. The ferry ride was very short--like 5 or 10 minutes--and was very scenic. I was very impressed by the Vasa Museum. Skansen was just so very charming. Gamla Stan is just wonderful, and you can shop in that area. Since you will have a little more time than we did, you can probably also tour the interior of the Royal Palace, which is right in the Gamla Stan area. The royal jewels are in the palace. You can probably also time it right with the changing of the guard at the palace. It kind of depends on what you like too because I think I'll be visiting the art museum this time, and it looks like it is definitely world class.

I hope that helps in your planning.

Donna

I was wondering what is the best way to get from the ship to Nynashamn. Princess offers a bus for about $60/per person. Does anyone know if taxis are available and how much they cost. Also, there was mention of a train -- how easy is that and what is the cost? Thanks!

On this board, there is a thread on docking and transportation. Also, on the Princess boards one title Juliejoe. Writers were juliejoe, gypsyrose48, Cruisin'Chris, Cruisernut and kool kruiser. These people all have great information on this topic. You can probably find it by searching using stockholm. If you can't find these, I could copy and paste the information for you. Let me know.

Answers to a few questions above:

Milkenmar – Constellation will dock at Stadsgården, not far from the Old Town. For a map of the area I recommend you to look at the thread here named “MAPS & LINKS FOR BALTIC PORTS” posted by John and Betty. They have marked the place where Constellation will be.

There are some shops in Stockholm (and I also think some taxis) that will accept dollars, but you will get a really bad exchange rate. It is much better to use a credit card. The credit card can also be used for things like museum entrance fees. But for small expenses, like public transport, you will need Swedish currency. I don’t think you will need to buy a Stockholm transit card. The ship is near to the things you will probably want to see, so it is not likely you will be travelling that much. To find out more about this I recommend you to look at the thread here called “Stockholm – docking and transportation”. The prices given there are for 2004, but I intend to post it again with 2005 prices some time in April.

Martyferb – A taxi from Nynäshamn would be very expensive. I don’t know how much but taxis in Sweden are expensive. The best options are either to use the ships transfer, or the commuter train.

Hi Mary,

Received email from debbie and Mike about a trip to the Med in 2006. Please put me on your list when more info is available. Would like the chance to cruise agian with you and others from the june 2004 Jewel British Isle trip!:D

Best Regards,

Patrick and Traci Newburn

We will be 12 adults on the Star in July - Do you know if we could rent a van and driver to get into Stockholm from the dock since it is such a long drive? I was hoping our group could arrange transportation back and forth and an orientation of the city. Do you have any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
Your welcome. Don't waste your money for a tour guide in this city. Stockholm is very easy to navigate on your own. Have a taxi take you from your cruise ship to the harbor in front of the Royal Palace. Then you could either walk to the palace, or go behind the palace your right in the old city with the shops and resturants. When you get to the harbor, you could also opt to just join the hop on hop off bus, and do a complete city loop to get your bearings straight.

How did you pay for the taxi from the port to the city? Did you exchange money on the ship?:confused:

Patrick,

I LOVE the picture! Awesome news about you guys joining us. We should have rate this month sometime.

My Mom passed away a few days ago, she had such a hard year. May she rest in peace.

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mom.

Archived