Stockholm input please!

What do people who have been or live in Stockholm think? Do we need to hire a driver/guide to get around (we're not into riding the buses all day to get from point A to point B)?

I'm not sure if we can cover the following sites and more if we have do not have a car. The following list was provided by a guide, but I keep asking myself, do we really need to hire a driver/guide?

The Royal Palace of Stockholm (office for the royal court)

the Royal Palace in Drottningholm (home of the royal family; situated a bit outside Stockholm)

The Royal Court Theatre in Drottningholm (truly unique theatre from 18 century, still in use as originally built)

The City Hall (place for Nobel Prize festivities)

The Vasa Museum (showing the royal warship Wasa from 1625)

Old Town of Stockholm (a unique and beautiful town with most of the houses dating back to the middle ages

We were on the Jewel in August and Stockholm was one of our favorite places. We didn't take one of the ships tours, opting to do it ourselves. We took the hop on hop off bus for one rotation...Visited the Vasa Museum which is a must see and walked around Old Town (car wouldn't work for Old Town as it's mostly pedestrian traffic only).

If you disembark or depart from Stockholm, I recommend that you stay at least another day in this great city. It was one of our favorite cities and we did not have enough time to see everything we wanted to in only one day.

If you have extra time, take a boat tour in the city harbor (across from the Royal Palace) which makes a loop around the old part of the city. This boat departure point is also a place to catch the hop on hop off bus, which is the best way to get around the city.

Give yourself extra time to walk, shop and eat in the old part of the city. If you are there at the right time of the day, you will get to experience the changing of the guard and follow them into the court yard. We found it pretty neat that one of the songs they chose to play, was one of Abba's (famous Swedish pop singer) songs as they marched along!

Be sure to check out the Royal Armory in the basement of the Royal Palace. Some of the most intriguing items in a museum I have ever seen. They have the King's horse, which he was riding on when he was killed in battle

in the 1600s, actually stuffed and on display! Many displays of coats of armor from the kings and their horses. Neat collection of Royal family house hold items, like 300 + year old toys, cradles, and clothing from the Royal children. They also have an amazing must see collection of many jeweled Royal carriages and sleds that are still in pristine condition after 400 + years.

Thanks for the input!

I found a couple of guides to use, but I'm not sure if its worth the money.

Your welcome. Don't waste your money for a tour guide in this city. Stockholm is very easy to navigate on your own. Have a taxi take you from your cruise ship to the harbor in front of the Royal Palace. Then you could either walk to the palace, or go behind the palace your right in the old city with the shops and resturants. When you get to the harbor, you could also opt to just join the hop on hop off bus, and do a complete city loop to get your bearings straight.

I can only confirm what has been said here. The Royal Palace is in the Old Town and the City Hall is just across one of the bridges, north of the Old Town. Once you are here you can just walk around as you please.

The Vasa Museum is not in the same area, but a short taxi ride away.

The Vasa musum and the Old Town area with the Palace and perhaps the City Hall will be quite enough for a one day stop. Even if Drottningholm Palace and Theatre are interesting, and it is a pleasant trip to go there, I wouldn't recommend it for a one day stay. Too much time will go into transportation. Do it only if you have more than one day.

Here are a few links to check:

The Vasa Museum http://www.vasamuseet.se/Vasamuseet/Vasamuseet.aspx?path=%2fhome%2fvasamuseet%2fom&layout={C0D465E0-3110-436A-A0E4-EA5BB84475B8}

The City Hall http://www2.stockholm.se/cityhall/index.htm

The Royal Court and Palaces http://www.royalcourt.se/2.53abbbfd7ffdfa677fff23627.html

What do people who have been or live in Stockholm think? Do we need to hire a driver/guide to get around (we're not into riding the buses all day to get from point A to point B)?

I'm not sure if we can cover the following sites and more if we have do not have a car. The following list was provided by a guide, but I keep asking myself, do we really need to hire a driver/guide?

The Royal Palace of Stockholm (office for the royal court)

the Royal Palace in Drottningholm (home of the royal family; situated a bit outside Stockholm)

The Royal Court Theatre in Drottningholm (truly unique theatre from 18 century, still in use as originally built)

The City Hall (place for Nobel Prize festivities)

The Vasa Museum (showing the royal warship Wasa from 1625)

Old Town of Stockholm (a unique and beautiful town with most of the houses dating back to the middle ages

For our July Baltic cruise I have purchased( from advise by posters) the Rick Stevens scandinavia paperback. Its a wonderful guide book with great suggestions for all the ports.

I walked until I was sore -- then walked some more -- on a couple of gorgeous, sunny July days during my visit this year. Walk, soak it in, walk, take pictures, walk, talk to people walk... and have a great time! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd be grateful if folks would note which hotels they particularly like in Stockhom (and Copenhagen also if possible). We'd like a quiet place with good views and good space. But quiet is most impt of all. Has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel? Which room? Is it worth the steep pirce? Also, we need a king bed and I believe we might have trouble finding that? Thanks!

I'd be grateful if folks would note which hotels they particularly like in Stockhom (and Copenhagen also if possible). We'd like a quiet place with good views and good space. But quiet is most impt of all. Has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel? Which room? Is it worth the steep pirce? Also, we need a king bed and I believe we might have trouble finding that? Thanks!

The Grand Hôtel in Stockholm is the choice if you want elegance and peace & quiet. If you spring for one of the habour view rooms, well, it's very nice indeed. Another hotel with a nice view would be the Hilton located at Slussen. Also near the Grand is the Raddison Strand hotel with very nice views of Östermalm across the water and Berzelii Park.

Have a nice time

- Stockholm was our favorite port, probably influenced by our being there for four days, which made for a relaxed visit.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From our journal:

July 1, 2004, Stockholm 1

$1=7.5Kr

Alranda Airport Express train was wonderful - drops you off right at the Nordic Sea Hotel – literally! The Nordic Sea Hotel is very Nice, clean and modern. The rooms are a bit on the small side. Given the average climate in Sweden, there is NO Air Conditioning and our room was too warm. We kept the window open much of the time.

- We purchased three day Stockholm cards at Central station and then caught bus 47 to the VASA museum. Then we visited the nearby Nordic Culture museum, a small Aquarium and then caught the ferry to Slussen. We walked much of Gamla Stan, and then ate salad, pizza and wine at the Michalangelo Restaurant for dinner.

- Earlier, we saw the 6PM changing of the guard at the Royal palace.

- Friday, 7/2/04,

July 2, 2004, Stockholm 2

We awoke to rain. We enjoyed a very good, large buffet breakfast at the Nordic Sea hotel. We then took the tube about 30km South of Stockholm City to Starholmen to go to the "Loppmarknadem flea market. It was located underneath a shopping center in a suburban area South of Stockholm City. Not really very good. My wife only purchased a little Viking ship salt cellar. On the way back the train broke down twice due to electrical problems South of Slussen. After a couple of abortive attempts we made it as far as Liljeholmen where a train employee suggested that we walk the rest of the way to town, which we did. Then we caught another tube North about 20 miles to Frescati Station to go to the Botanical Garden (Bergianska trädgården)to see Herbs. Huge lilly pads - 6 feet across. Also went for brief visit to Natural History Museum (Naturhistoriska riskmuseet)at Univervisitat. Also ate lunch at a Picnic at Univervisitat.Took local electric train part of the way back and then switched to main tube to Ostermanstorg and "ran" to the Viking Museum for a brief visit before closing. Then we took the #47 bus to Stockholm’s Tivoli. We mostly looked around and then enjoyed a local “Falcon” beer. Then we took the ferry over to Slussen and Gamla Stan for a traditional Swedish Dinner of Reindeer and Salmon - Great Pea Soup. Walked back to hotel. We were not planning on going to the Ice Bar, but after dinner on our last night at the hotel, we decided to try it after arriving at the hotel after dinner. You give them your name and they give you a badge with a number on it. We waited about 30 minutes before we were called. The fee is $20, which includes your first drink. We went to the Ice Bar around 11PM - dressed in parkas and drank vodka from ice glasses at an ice bar in an ice room - fun, actually. The glasses melted where your lips touched them.

July 3, 2004, Stockholm 3

- Lazy breakfast at hotel, then taxi to ship at Friehamin 638 (200kr including tip)

- Embarked at 10:30. Took 10 minutes. Dropped bagt in room (still being cleaned), then explored ship a bit. Made reservations for specialty restaurant for July 10 at 7PM (1st At Sea Day).

- 11:45 walked 700m W of ship caught Bus #1 to Hotogret for lunch of Fish Soup at Kajsas Fisk Restaurang, recommended by Rick Steves - WONDERFUL ! It was probably the best meal that we had in Stockholm. Toured the Royal Palace, then the Treasury Museum and Armory Museum. Took the 4:30 Royal Canal Boat sightseeing tour - very nice. Looked at the lobby of the old Grand Hotel. Walked to Stureplan, enjoyed some $6.75 Becks beers before catching the #1 bus back to the ship. We're too tired to stay downtown anymore today. We may try for the National Art Museum tomorrow.

- My wife discovered to her horror that her suitcase had been significantly exposed to water, either in Atlanta or at the ship. Atlanta being the most likely case since it was pouring down rain and we noticed that a great deal of the luggage beside the airplane was sitting out in the open. Items packed for shipboard use were damp and had red stains from the "ebags" packing bags that leached colors onto most of her white clothing. One of her dresses was also quite damp, as was My wife's mood the rest of the evening.

- Our first dinner in the Main Dining room. Our table for eight was empty except for us. The waiter waited for the other six to arrive and since they never did, our meal was very delayed. This was probably the least enjoyable meal experience of any cruise.

July 4, 2004, Stockholm 4

- Around 8AM the Marco Polo pulled in right behind our slip. Good to see her!

- Took ship's free shuttle to town. Too early for the National art museum, so went down Vasterlanggatan in Gamla Stan to purchase two little painted gnome people for My wife. We waited out the heaviest rain yet, then on to the Nobel Museum. Next visited today's goal, the National art museum. Very nice! Saw 7 Rembrant's & several Reubens but enjoyed Sweden's Carl gustaf Hellqvist the most, especially "Holding Visby to Ramsom".

- Caught the ship's shuttle back, and participated in the lifeboat drill.

- The three hours after leaving port were with spectacular views - a must see from deck - also great with Long Island Ice Tea!

At 6:15PM we watched the movie "Monster".

- Dinner ran a bit smoother tonight, but still our tablemates didn't show up so we were alone again at a table for eight. The food was better as well. After dinner we went to the 10:45PM show with pianist Brooks Aron for the 4th of July special - Very Nice!

Celem,

Many thanks for your well-written and detailed review. :cool:

Is this to be continued with other Ports?

I have some Questions:

Do you think you got your money's worth out of buying the Stockholm Card? :rolleyes:

I will be there only one day on the Star Princess. Should I buy a 24-hour card? :confused:

Our Embarkation and Debarkation port is Copenhagen. I will be there for 2 nights pre-cruise and 3 nights post-cruise. Should I buy the CPH Card? :D

Thanks for your suggestions.

Princess Di,

So far Princess cruises seems to dock in Nynäshamn, a small town south of Stockholm. If so, you will either have to take Princess transfer or a commuter train to get to Stockholm. The journey will take one hour each way. I tried to check for you but the Ports of Stockholm site did not have your cruise listed yet.

Should you decide on going independently on the train you may want to use a 24-hour Stockholm transport card. There are two different Stockholm cards. One is the transport card that gives you unlimited access to public transport within Stockholm, including the train to Nynäshamn. The other has the same transport but it also includes entrance to a number of museums and some other attractions.

With only one day in Stockholm, and some of the time used for transportation, I don't think it is likely that you will have time for so many museums that a Stockholm card including museums can be worthwile.

In response to "Princess Di",

We certainly got our money's worth from our Stockholm cards because we were in Stockholm for four days. As "North-Bound" suggests, if you only have one day there you are probably better served by using CASH from an ATM machine. Easy to do - Stockholm is a very easy city in which to get around.

Yes, I have similar journal entries for each of our Baltic cruise ports. I have posted them here and there in response to questions, such as yours.

I'll post my Copenhagen journal entry for you as a new thread. We were there for two days.

Celem,

Many thanks for your well-written and detailed review. :cool:

Is this to be continued with other Ports?

I have some Questions:

Do you think you got your money's worth out of buying the Stockholm Card? :rolleyes:

I will be there only one day on the Star Princess. Should I buy a 24-hour card? :confused:

Our Embarkation and Debarkation port is Copenhagen. I will be there for 2 nights pre-cruise and 3 nights post-cruise. Should I buy the CPH Card? :D

Thanks for your suggestions.

Do you know where Celebrity docks? I will be cruising on the Constellation on Aug 13th.

Can you use US currency in Stockholm? Where do you buy the transit card? We will be docked from 9am to 5pm. What would be worth seeing in that short of time frame?

Thank you.

Marion

Hi there folks,

I ma crusing on RCCI Jewel of the Seas in August and will be docking in Stockholm on 24th August. We are using th esame berth as the Constellation, which is in STADSGÅRDEN 167.

See the following link.

http://www.stoports.com/eng/ourports/maps/images/southernportdistrict.gif

This site has a full list of all expected cruise traffic in 2005.

http://www.stockholmshamn.se/evant.htm

Have a great cruise everyone.:)

Thank you for getting me in touch with alys. We are hooking up together for the touring in St. Petersburg. Also thanks for the info on the money.

Roysmith99

Thank you for the sites and info on docking.

No one answered me about what sites to see in the time we have there.

Marion

Archived