Cruise of a lifetime? Princess Ring of Kerry cruisetour '09

Hi everyone!

I have always wanted to travel to Ireland (I'm 27 years old) since my father (and his family) was born and raised there and all of my maternal relatives are also from Ireland. I also love cruising. My mom and I had planned a trip to just Ireland next summer ('09) but after getting back from a recent cruise in April we started thinking about a European cruise. Well imagine my excitement this morning when I saw the Ring of Kerry Cruisetour from Princess. It is 4 days in Ireland plus the 12 nights British Isles cruise. It is definitely a lot of money (for us) but we were thinking that if we traveled to Ireland alone and paid out of pocket for hotel, attractions, souvenirs, food, etc it would be just as much if not more money on our own since the US dollar is not so great right now over there. And of course we have the added stops in England and France!

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on this package in terms of value and and any input from those that have taken this cruise/cruisetour. Thanks!

*Shannon

Hi everyone!

I have always wanted to travel to Ireland (I'm 27 years old) since my father (and his family) was born and raised there and all of my maternal relatives are also from Ireland. I also love cruising. My mom and I had planned a trip to just Ireland next summer ('09) but after getting back from a recent cruise in April we started thinking about a European cruise. Well imagine my excitement this morning when I saw the Ring of Kerry Cruisetour from Princess. It is 4 days in Ireland plus the 12 nights British Isles cruise. It is definitely a lot of money (for us) but we were thinking that if we traveled to Ireland alone and paid out of pocket for hotel, attractions, souvenirs, food, etc it would be just as much if not more money on our own since the US dollar is not so great right now over there. And of course we have the added stops in England and France!

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on this package in terms of value and and any input from those that have taken this cruise/cruisetour. Thanks!

*Shannon

I saw the Combo tour in the Globus 2008 book which is actually a bus tour book but it has the combo with our cruise we are taking June 7 to 19, 2008. It does seem a bit pricey and as I have no relations in Ireland, I am quite happy with just the cruise but if your history goes back to Ireland, it would be great.

It sounds like the tour and cruise would be a total guided tour so that would also be nice for 2 women traveling together. I have heard good things about those bus tours by those who have taken them but personally, I prefer cruising as it means packing and unpacking once. Of course we are staying 2 nights previously in Southampton and 1 night at Gatwick area so that throws that out of the window too.

My husband is 5th generation Canadian and his ancesters are from Great Britain and I was born in Holland so we are quite happy with visiting the 3 places in Ireland and the places in Britain & Scotland.

Good luck with your plans, it does sound great.

Shannon,

Just a few personal thoughts about the Ring of Kerry - it is truly a beautiful and spectacular sight and one that should not be missed. Many years ago we did a driving tour of Ireland starting in Dublin and ending up in Shannon before flying home.

One of the best days was our drive around the "Ring". However, unless you have a lot of time and a bit of money, I'd suggest that you seriously consider a "Guided" tour by coach. Remember that the Irish drive on the left side, rental cars are expensive and very few come with automatic transmission. The road can be narrow at times, and if you're driving, you'll be mostly concentrating on traffic and not on sightseeing.

You would need at least one full day to complete the drive, and that would not be allowing much time to stop and visit. However, you'll probably never forgive yourself if you miss it!!

(If you can, do stop at a little village called "Sneem" - truly delightful!! Every other building is a Pub!!!)

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I showed my mom the itinerary and she is ready to book now lol! I think what I like about the cruise/cruisetour is that I don't have to do as much planning as I would have to do if we were doing land only - figuring out how to travel around, how many days to stay where, what hotels, where to eat, etc. I usually love planning trips but just thinking of planning this one really stresses me out. Of course we have a year to save for it. It just seems to good to be true...touring Ireland and cruising!

BTW - we have no desire at all to rent a car or drive while in Ireland! :eek: Neither one of us wants the hassle and I definitely know we would both be stressed out about driving and would miss half the stuff we drive by! That and neither us can drive a stick.

Thanks again for the replies!

*Shannon

March of 07 I did a land tour of Ireland. Ring of Kerry was part of that tour. It wasn't the best tour I had done. I didn't like the driver. There was many places I wanted to stop, but the tour didn't. The landscape was great! The history was amazing! I would go back in a heart beat! But most likely, I would rent a car and do it on my own.

Sept of 07, I did the British Isle cruise on Celebrity. Loved it and would go back in a heart beat!!

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I showed my mom the itinerary and she is ready to book now lol! I think what I like about the cruise/cruisetour is that I don't have to do as much planning as I would have to do if we were doing land only - figuring out how to travel around, how many days to stay where, what hotels, where to eat, etc. I usually love planning trips but just thinking of planning this one really stresses me out. Of course we have a year to save for it. It just seems to good to be true...touring Ireland and cruising!

BTW - we have no desire at all to rent a car or drive while in Ireland! :eek: Neither one of us wants the hassle and I definitely know we would both be stressed out about driving and would miss half the stuff we drive by! That and neither us can drive a stick.

Thanks again for the replies!

*Shannon

As for renting a car, no way would we do that. We do not drive on the left side of the road nor are we familiar with the roads. We will leave the driving to those who know what they are doing.

Yes, it sounds like a wonderful trip and you will know where you sleep each night and all your breakfasts are included on the actual bus tour as well as some dinners so you need only concern yourself with your lunch and some dinners. On the ship of course you will eat whenever you wish and how much you wish.

It will be a lot of fun planning it.

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

what a fantastic itinary!

I did not know Princess did this cruise-so I think I will be looking to book this for myself.

I was in Ireland last year and booked the coach trip around the R.o.k -I thought it was fabulous!they also stop off at a pub for an irish coffee and you get to chat to the locals.lol

I think there is a stopover in Killarny,when we were there the races were on--if you can get to there you will have the most wonderful time.

The racetrack is one of the most picturesque in Ireland,and after the races finish there is a dance --with young and old enjoying themselves to the irish music--fantastic!!

After the races and dance we stopped off at the Killarny Towers Hotel for a nightcap(we were not stopping at this hotel)and ended up dancing to the irish fiddlers and chatting to people from all around the world.

This sounds like a wonderful trip and you have the added bonus of a cruise and maybe meeting up with some of your irish family for the craic.lol

Go for it.

Regards to you.

Taffygirl

ps. love your name as it's the same as my irish g,granny

Hi Johanna,

I did not know Princess did this cruise-so I think I will be looking to book this for myself.

I was in Ireland last year and booked the coach trip around the R.o.k -I thought it was fabulous!they also stop off at a pub for an irish coffee and you get to chat to the locals.lol

I think there is a stopover in Killarny,when we were there the races were on--if you can get to there you will have the most wonderful time.

The racetrack is one of the most picturesque in Ireland,and after the races finish there is a dance --with young and old enjoying themselves to the irish music--fantastic!!

After the races and dance we stopped off at the Killarny Towers Hotel for a nightcap(we were not stopping at this hotel)and ended up dancing to the irish fiddlers and chatting to people from all around the world.

This sounds like a wonderful trip and you have the added bonus of a cruise and maybe meeting up with some of your irish family for the craic.lol

Go for it.

Regards to you.

Taffygirl

I spent 3 nights at the towers. Loved the hotel and it's location!

Hi Johanna,

Go for it.

Regards to you.

Taffygirl

Taffygirl, we are only taking the cruise from June 7 to 19th and arriving 2 days ahead and leaving a day after disembarkation. It is Shannon and her Mom who want to take the combined Ring of Kerry coach/bus tour and then the cruise. I have seen it in the Globus book.

Only 3 weeks before we leave Canada for the cruise, well the 2 days before in Southampton.

Johanna

Just my two cents. :) A bus tour of the ROK is completely lacking for me. Far superior is to drive it yourself and being able to stop when and where you wish. The big buses wizz by in my opinion, missing out on plenty. Also if you are all the way there, going independent, would allow you the Dingle Peninsula, which actually is superior in my opinion. The ROK can be bus after bus after bus.

It isn't that hard to switch your driving. Time is what is important, allow enough of it.

Just my two cents. :) A bus tour of the ROK is completely lacking for me. Far superior is to drive it yourself and being able to stop when and where you wish. The big buses wizz by in my opinion, missing out on plenty. Also if you are all the way there, going independent, would allow you the Dingle Peninsula, which actually is superior in my opinion. The ROK can be bus after bus after bus.

It isn't that hard to switch your driving. Time is what is important, allow enough of it.

We too were unimpressed by the ROK - it's pretty touristy really. Dingle Peninsula is much more beautiful and much more Irish - scenery and beaches are stunning. We were in tears when we had to leave, having driven from England and spent a week there. Magical. Roads are pretty empty, but had a few potholes. ;)

You hit the nail on the head. It was my first true bus tour of a country. NEVER again! We would go right pass places I would have loved to have stopped at. Next time, wrong side of the road or not, I'm driving myself!

You hit the nail on the head. It was my first true bus tour of a country. NEVER again! We would go right pass places I would have loved to have stopped at. Next time, wrong side of the road or not, I'm driving myself!

Actually, you drive on the wrong side of the road; we drive on the right (correct) side!:D :D :D

Actually, you drive on the wrong side of the road; we drive on the right (correct) side!:D :D :D

Now see when I got in my truck this morning, I went down the RIGHT side of the road.:p

you should go on the internet and see what the prices are now for the great britain/ireland cruise iterniary. That cruise typically does not book up so you should see what the price is now and how quickly it sells out so you can compare it to quotes. I know for instance there is still alot of availability left on that cruise for June 7 and i think for all of the other cruises on that iterniary this year. if you book a year in advance they always charge you more money. I typically book european cruises about a month in advance; I am going on a cruise next week which I booked in early May and am saving over 50% off what I would have paid if I would have booked it months ago.

Archived