Taormina-day reccomendations

Taormina is a great port to do on you own. There is the Greek Theatre that is wonderful to see (and you have some great views of Mt. Etna) and is only around 6 Euro. Also the town if flooded with tons of shops and great resturants! I got the some of the best gelato here and my mom was in marzipan heaven! It's a leisurely port so enjoy and have a great time!

While the Greek Theater is neat, if you are only interested in seeing Mt. Etna, you can save 6 Euro by going to the public park. The views of Etna were equal to that of the Greek Theater. (I am not necessarily advocating skipping the theater, but I thought 6 Euros was a little high for the amount of time we spent there.) To get to the park, walk down Umberto I. When you see the signs for the Greek Theater, keep an eye out for signs for (I think) Communale Park. You will go to the right and walk down (it is essentially right below the Greek Theater). It is free and, when we were there in April, just lovely (helped that everything was in bloom). Also, in that area we had the best meal of our entire 16 day vacation. If you like fish, be sure to find a place with Swordfish Rolls--they were fantastic.

The restaurant was Il Baccanale. To get there, follow the signs from Via Teatro Greco to the Park Communale (it is closer to the main road than the park). You will walk by a shop called Uniku (where I got a great handbag) and a little liquor store. Then you will walk by a couple of other restaurants and at the corner (on your right) is Il Baccanale. (Sorry it is a little vague...you'll understand when you are there!)

Will be in Taormina for one day in July, seems like a port to do on your own. Any suggestions on how best to enjoy the day? (have done volcanos before so not interested in going up Etna.)

Taormina is`nt really a port but the town on the hill over where the tenders drop you off. From there its a 20 minute drive by cab or shuttle up to the town gates. It`s a great place dominated by one main street. lots of cafes, restaurants and boutiques I`m sure you`ll enjoy your stop there. :)

Taormina is`nt really a port but the town on the hill over where the tenders drop you off. From there its a 20 minute drive by cab or shuttle up to the town gates. It`s a great place dominated by one main street. lots of cafes, restaurants and boutiques I`m sure you`ll enjoy your stop there. :)

I was told by a driver that I contacted that Taormina is an hour drive from the port of Messina.

The restaurant was Il Baccanale. To get there, follow the signs from Via Teatro Greco to the Park Communale (it is closer to the main road than the park). You will walk by a shop called Uniku (where I got a great handbag) and a little liquor store. Then you will walk by a couple of other restaurants and at the corner (on your right) is Il Baccanale. (Sorry it is a little vague...you'll understand when you are there!)

Thank you for such detailed information, it is exactly what I'm looking for. Cant wait!!!

Thanks Seapenarth. Yes the ship is offering free shuttle which lets us out at parking area nad we are supposed to take elevator to street level Porta Catnia.

Thanks Seapenarth. Yes the ship is offering free shuttle which lets us out at parking area nad we are supposed to take elevator to street level Porta Catnia.

quite correct. you go up in the lift of a multi story car park whose top floof is close to town entrance. i`m sure you will enjoy it. :)

That's a question I would love to try and find an answer for. Which ships dock where? We are using Carnival but I'm not sure where they will be docking and if we need tenders.

Thanks for that information. Used google map and this morning there are two cruise ships docked there. That's awesome to use the satellite maps.

Now do they supply a free shuttle? Probably not.

Used google map and this morning there are two cruise ships docked there. That's awesome to use the satellite maps.

Just as an FYI: Google maps isn't live and sometimes not even close to being live. A road that was built a mile from my house 18 months ago still doesn't show up on google maps.

Archived