Water for Formula

Aardvark

We will be on the Carnival Liberty in June with a 14 mo. old. Have any of you used the ship's water to mix formula, or have you taken your own water aboard? I know that the ship's water is distilled and very good. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. We will only use 1 or 2 bottles a day. He's already more into our food than his, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks for any insight.:)

IIRC it's perfectly okay to switch to milk after 12 months of age.

You could always make it really easy on yourself and just use the ships milk instead of formula.....Carnival might even offer soy as an alternative if you don't want to do cow's milk.

IIRC it's perfectly okay to switch to milk after 12 months of age.

You could always make it really easy on yourself and just use the ships milk instead of formula.....Carnival might even offer soy as an alternative if you don't want to do cow's milk.

Oh I didn't see the child was older than 12 months. That's a good point Sas. Unless the doctor says to stay on formula, then what's the point of lugging formula? A child is pretty much table fed by that point anyway.

Oh I didn't see the child was older than 12 months. That's a good point Sas. Unless the doctor says to stay on formula, then what's the point of lugging formula? A child is pretty much table fed by that point anyway.

Right. And OP said that the baby was more into table food than the bottle.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I would pick this as a really good time to make the switch from formula to milk! :D

Right you are. We are pretty much down to one bottle a day (his before bed bottle). With all the flaming news about kids on cruises, I guess I'm being a little extra sensitive about him being a little fussy a bedtime. He's a GREAT sleeper. Just trying to cover all of my politically correct bases.:)

Right you are. We are pretty much down to one bottle a day (his before bed bottle). With all the flaming news about kids on cruises, I guess I'm being a little extra sensitive about him being a little fussy a bedtime. He's a GREAT sleeper. Just trying to cover all of my politically correct bases.:)

HAHAHAHAHAHA well just stick milk in the bottle. Just order some for bedtime. :D Just try it before the cruise just in case you run into problems with dairy.

I have an online moms group so we yap about this kind of stuff all of the time. Since the moms are from all over the country I can see what each ped recommends for each child. Honestly, all of the kids were switched to milk by 12 months with the exception of a few who had gastro problems (like serious gastro problems). And one mom kept her child on formula because he was a tiny little thing and the ped told her to consider it "super milk" and keep the toddler on it.

But for the cost and convenience, I would be jumping to switch to milk. ;)

I just wanted to add that I had one of those super hyper-allergenic children and I ran through 10,000 different kinds of formula that wouldn't give him rashes and/or make him throw up...

By 14 months, he was over it and did fine with regular milk (soy is an allergen and gave him a rash so I didn't let him near it). If you have a sensitive baby, he'll probably be over it by cruise time.

Also, talk to your ped but some want the bottles gone at one year of age.

I can't say we met that mark but just to warn you!!

Sippy cups are easier to clean and travel anyway with so it might be a good time to switch that as well. Less to clean. Look for a soft spout.

Archived