How's single life on cruise ships?

jms081

I'm going on my very first cruise Aug. 3, 2009. I'll be 28 years old and I was wondering what the singles life was like on cruise ships?

Thanks - Jason

As a man, single life is pretty good, since there are many more unattached women on ships than unattached men. If you're the kind of guy who does well with the ladies on land, you'll love being on a ship. (28 is a fantastic age)

It is super good if you are a single man and book a cruise with an on-line agency that offers hosted singles cruises. I am booked on a couple of these cruises at this time, see my signature. Last week there were 105 singles booked on the July 26 Golden Princess Alaska cruise and only 25% of those booked are male. Last week there were 290 singles booked on the Dec. 6 Ruby Princess cruise and 30% are male. I have been on three other singles cruises and have had an excellent time on each one. Google Singles Cruises and you will be able to find some agencies that set up hosted singles cruises.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there anyway to get away from the extra charges for solos? Or do you just pay it???

In my case, I just pay it. I can afford it; however, it's not fun. The worst is when you're paying for a passenger who's not there, yet any on board credit to which you are entitled is per actual person.

Is there anyway to get away from the extra charges for solos? Or do you just pay it???

I just pay it because I love cruising. The only choices are: 1) get someone to share the room 2) pay the single supplement or 3) don't cruise. The last option doesn't work for me. I'll use the first option when possible but if not than that leaves option 2.

SullaRaffaello, you're right that the single person does get the short end of the stick quite a lot but it's all part of life. You would think that if we paid for 2 people in the room, that we would be entitiled to the same discounts. Another one that I like is, Carnival offers a $50 discount if you book another cruise within 45 days (or something like that). You don't get any discount on a 1A cabin which you pay about 150% and if you get a 4A or higher category which you pay 200% you only get half the discount ($25). Of course they now include the port charges in the price of the cruise so you're paying extra for that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just stating facts.

-Mark

Archived