High school reunion cruise

I'm not sure I'd be a "jumper" myself. But if my HS class had their reunion on a ship, SOMEONE would eventually end up going overboard, although probably not of their own volition.....(and yes there would be alcohol involved!!!!).

I work in a high school and some of my coworkers would make great shark food.

I wouldn't jump, but I know two from the class of 85 that would be fish food fast.

My graduating class had a total of 59 students...and the school is closed down now, so if we even if we do have a 10 year reunion, and decided on a cruise...we'd be lucky to get 4 or 5! And they'd be the most annoying people, naturally!

.......in theory........sounds great........however.......with 450 people, how can you get them to agree on which week to cruise and where to go.

You don't poll the entire class, you arrange for a "planning committee" -- put out the word that anyone interested in helping plan and organize the reunion meet at such-and-such a place and time. Then just the people that show up come to a decision.

I shouldn't think it would be any more or less difficult to plan a cruise reunion than to plan a reunion at a hotel banquet hall. You pick a date, you pick a place, you find out the cost, you let people know, and you pick a deadline by which reservations and $$$ must be in. Then people decide to attend, or not.

You might, though, as you say, get a slightly lower turnout, just because of the cost. One of the weekend cruises might be better attended, though, if your school was anywhere near a departure port city....

Hey rsldonk We did come from UT for a 30 yr class reunion cruise and LOVED IT!

I am so glad we did one! I went on the chosen cruise the previous year to check it out and keep the menus, capers and excursion info for future reference. We did a cruise for our 30 year class reunion. We had one night in Aug at the high school (we do this every reunion) where it is classmates only – no spouses or kids. The turnout is surprisingly very good and classmates act so differently when NOT around their spouse. The second part of our reunion was a cruise held in Sept. It was surprising the people that did end up cruising – quite a diverse group of classmates. Out of almost 400 classmates we had 43 classmates (85 total with spouses) sign up that’s 10%. I was disappointed that more didn’t come but we had the time of our lives!!! We handed out the cruise documents at the high school night. And got a couple more to sign up when they saw who were going. We had comments from people saying “if I was ever going to go on a cruise with my spouse I certainly would do it with a bunch of people”. This was their choice. Some want to cruise alone and some want to be in a group. There were a bunch that we never saw other than at dinner time. I had 7 tables of 10 and 4 tables of 4 set up. Some just liked going off and doing their own thing. We had a group party set up the first night and had a cake made up by carnival for 50 people. (believe me this is enough-most all of it went uneaten anyway.) They set this up in one of their clubs for one hour and this ended up being the gathering spot for the rest of the cruise. Now I will tell you the ones that did end up going – most all were first time cruisers, and we didn’t know each other in school. We are all now the best of friends and get together for BBQs and dinners as well as do a yearly group vacation. We have done an all inclusive (Puerto Vallarta) and two cruises with another one book next January since. Im telling most people don’t knock the group class reunion cruise until you have been on one! I have a few tips on what we would and wouldn’t do again. Some of the things we did…

1. I made up the lists as to not overwhelm the travel agent – keeping track of corrected names, birthdates and such. I made the listings for tablemates, tried to get most compatibles together (Non drinkers, etc). Emailed the cruisers with packing lists, flight time, set up of van pick up from the airport to port /what van they were in, cruising secrets, info on soda card, reminders to not lose towels or be charged for them, and such.

2. Find an honest travel agent with a low deposit – too hard to use a PVP. Make sure the travel agent gives you all your perks – you will get a number of points (depends on the length of the cruise, etc) That you can use for the group to purchase On board credit, photo coupons, Champagne in rooms, etc. (all will have to be the same gift) Next make sure you get the free births and that travel agent doesn’t keep those back for themselves. We booked 41 cabins and received $175 back for each 8 cabins we booked. (My travel agent wrote me a check after final payments were in-most agents will make you wait on the reimbursement from Carnival directly) I used that money to purchase things for the cruise – the cake for the party, tote bags in the school colors, water bottles with school logo, bottle straps, lanyards, and I purchased the groups photos from the party & formal night (got a photo release) and made up copies for everyone, door signs, etc.

3. Choose a short (over the weekend if possible) cruise since many don’t have a lot of time to be off from work or may not want to be gone for a full week due to other commitments. (We did the Baja 3 night from Long Beach-Carnival Paradise) Choose inexpensive if possible –pre pay gratuities in pricing and choose more summer time date since we had so many that had kids starting back in school in Sept or were school teachers and could not take off to go.

4. I made up door signs for everyone with their first names on them – this was fun for everyone to go around and see who was all there and where they were at. (We all got upgraded to the Empress deck from guarantee). Travel agent gave me a list of everyone’s cabin numbers ahead of time.

5. I chose an excursion that everyone would like and made a news letter up telling everyone to book that one if they wanted to go on an excursion with the group.(I gave this out, or mailed out to those out of state, on the plane ride to Long beach telling them to book when we got on the ship) We got our own bus and they filmed it separately for us – was fun! (I think almost 80% booked the group excursion).

6. Call and try and get a group coordinators name that’s on your ship ahead of time or once you get on the ship -and request a group photo time(s) set up. We had to pull teeth to get the one done on formal night.

7. Most will look to the leader as what to do, don’t worry about making everyone happy. Don’t give a lot (if any) choices, because you will never get everyone to agree – Let the travel agent inform them about traveling out of the country (passports or birth certificates, etc). Mostly have a great time! We had a bit of everything that went – jock, cheerleader, cowboy, parking lot, nerd, quiet, class officer, life of the party, straight, partier, normal, singles, married, couples. WE HAD FUN! I also put some of the photos together and made a video to show at our next class reunion.

Email me for photos if you want to see some- Rose7411@aol.com .

One more thing... I dont think most would come to a 5, 10, 15, or 20 year reunion cruise since most have young kids still at home and in school. Wait a few more years, hold the rooms a year or more in advance to get the best pricing. The older you are the more your able to aford the cruise.

Hi Bambi,

My 2 cents....

We had our 30th reunion last year attended by approx 160 (including about 90 or so classmates)at a hotel, not bad we thought for a class of 700.

This was the first time I was involved with the committee in planning and I had a blast. None of us on the committee were officers or "the popular kids" just a bunch who wanted to plan a reunion. It was so much fun and we had so many great comments that many didn't want to wait years to see each other again, so we started talking about a "50th birthday cruise (since the majority will all turn 50 in 2009)". So, we are in the process of setting this up for next year.

At first, we reserved a block of rooms, but that was a bust. Even with our own website, we didn't get a lot of response. Not that many didn't want to go, but as first time cruisers, I don't think they understand why you should have to book 1 year in advance (we know, more savings, better rooms etc)....So, we have decided to cancel the group booking and make personal reservations on our own for the same weekend. We are starting small with about 5 rooms for those that want to go and will book now, we will then give the name of our travel agent and they can individually book. This way, no sweat for us and we will still probably have a good turn out.

As the date gets closer, you can still do special things like the door tags that were mentioned or find a meeting place on the ship. I think as long as people book early enough, you should be able to eat together also.

You might consider having a regular reunion at a restaurant or hotel on a Saturday prior to the reunion and then the next day go on the cruise with the rest. This would work well, if you live near a port like me.

So, make it work for you and those that are talking about it, plan it and they will follow.....or not, but you still get a cruise out of it!

Take care,

Chris

I know we had 450 in our graduating class.

We had 850 in ours. Just had the last reunion in October. there was about 110 people attending. 5 years earlier, there 180. Keeps getting smaller. We are taking about combining my class with the class before us in five years. Should be able to get a decent showing out of 1,700 people.

Most folks come stagg... spouses don't want to hang around people they don't know.

And I fear a cruise would be way expensive. And you would have to convince the spouses to come since cabins are priced for two occupants.

The last issue is getting people to commit to the reunion. Most do not commit until the last 10 - 14 days before the reunion is to take place.

Fantastic idea, even if not very practical. :)

We had our 10 year reunion and thru the night several people mentioned that at the 15 year mark, lets take a cruise. That is where it started.

I guess we started planning this sitting around a pool last summer. My parents live next door to the president of my senior class. They come over to swim alot because our kids are the same ages. She mentioned one day that our 15 year was in 2008 and people had mentioned a cruise and wanted my opinion. I told her we were in. Just let me know the date ;) We tried to figure out who would be interested and who would not to see if it would even be worth the hassle. When we did our 10 year, the first night was a picnic at a local park. A picnic at a free park is as cheap as you can go and still people complained. So we decided that those who wanted to go, would, and those who did not, wouldn't. Anyway, one of our classmates is a TA so we gave her a call and she handled the rest. She did sound out a letter and had a meeting with anyone that was interested to "vote" on a ship & sail date. After that was decided, the TA sent out another letter with the date and prices. She did put a block on a number of rooms that was held until our final payment was due. Those that wanted to go just called our TA classmate and booked. We had a small deposit to book, another payment in like 3 months, then the final payment was just paid last week. The original letter was sent out in early fall of 2007 so people had time to save if they wanted to go. Long story short, we have approx 10 room with people that would like to go. We had a few more rooms booked, but had to be canceled for different circumstances. But we are excited with the 10 going. And most of us going were not even friends in high school :eek: Sounds crazy I know!!! Two of the guys going I have only spoken to 1 time since graduation and that was at the 10 year reunion. But who cares. It will still be fun catching up. 2 of the couples are also taking their kids to make it a family vacation.

Hope this helps!!!!!

One more detail I forgot to add. We live in an area that we had a couple of choices of ports that were within a days drive. We decided early that we definately wanted a port that people could drive to so that they did not have to do airfare. We live in East Tennessee and are leaving out of New ORleans. Only a 8-10 hour drive.

Hi Bambi,

My 2 cents....

We had our 30th reunion last year attended by approx 160 (including about 90 or so classmates)at a hotel, not bad we thought for a class of 700.

This was the first time I was involved with the committee in planning and I had a blast. None of us on the committee were officers or "the popular kids" just a bunch who wanted to plan a reunion. It was so much fun and we had so many great comments that many didn't want to wait years to see each other again, so we started talking about a "50th birthday cruise (since the majority will all turn 50 in 2009)". So, we are in the process of setting this up for next year.

At first, we reserved a block of rooms, but that was a bust. Even with our own website, we didn't get a lot of response. Not that many didn't want to go, but as first time cruisers, I don't think they understand why you should have to book 1 year in advance (we know, more savings, better rooms etc)....So, we have decided to cancel the group booking and make personal reservations on our own for the same weekend. We are starting small with about 5 rooms for those that want to go and will book now, we will then give the name of our travel agent and they can individually book. This way, no sweat for us and we will still probably have a good turn out.

As the date gets closer, you can still do special things like the door tags that were mentioned or find a meeting place on the ship. I think as long as people book early enough, you should be able to eat together also.

You might consider having a regular reunion at a restaurant or hotel on a Saturday prior to the reunion and then the next day go on the cruise with the rest. This would work well, if you live near a port like me.

So, make it work for you and those that are talking about it, plan it and they will follow.....or not, but you still get a cruise out of it!

Take care,

Chris

I am starting to think your idea is best those who want to can book now and cancel if they need to and the rest can chance it.

DH & I went to high school together & his class seems much more active with the reunion thing than others. His class did a cruise last year for their 25 year reunion. They had 18 people attend. Out of a class of 95, a few who have already passed away, that's not too bad. We did not attend because we had gone a cruise in January & had another planned for October, so a third one just wasn't going to happen in one year. The summer before that, the alumni association for the district planned a multi-year reunion & they had about 50 people attend from about 8 or more graduating classes. That one just wasn't financially possible.

They are in the early stages for a cruise for next year. We are planning on attending. Even though we are friendly with most of the people doing the planning, that might not be the case with everyone that attends. Hey, it is a big ship & we'll be in the Caribbean...don't have to hang with them.

It does work for anyone that wants to give it a try. My advice is to get with a TA that you like & see what perks/amenities you will be able to offer anyone that attends.

Towanda

It's not someting I would be interested in. I enjoyed high school and went to my 5 and 10 year reunions. As it turned out, the same core group of 'losers' showed up both times. By this I mean the same students who were always in trouble for smoking pot on school grounds were the same ones 10 years later sneaking it in the hotel parking lot at the reunion. Grow up! I have nothing in common with these people and don't care to be in their company.

I will never go to another reunion and I certainly would never pay for the privelege of cruising with these losers.

[quote name='bambidrummer'][B][FONT=Arial Black]How did you book the trip? Did you book as a group? Hold rooms? Require a deposit? That's the info I need.[/FONT][/B][/quote]

I have done several class reunions and they have all turned out great! I am actually in the process of one right now. So, I will use that as an example.

15 year reuion. It all started with the class president contacting me. I gave him quotes and ammenities info. From there, he took it to the commitee to vote on it. They voted yes, so next step is to actually set up the group.

Then, the "leader" told me how many cabins to "hold". Most of the time the group will have fun pts so you the "leader" will choose how to use the points (OBC, cocktail party, gifts, wine, etc..) The group can buy more fun points (ex: 4 day cruise $8 per cabin) to add more OBC or ammenities.

With a group, you always get a really good rate and reduced deposits.
If a cabin is booked with a reduced deposit ($25 per person) then the cabin is a gty cabin. As soon as the full deposit has been made for that particular cabin, they have the choice to choose their cabin or keep it as gty and go for the upgrade.

Every cabin gets their own booking number to use at carnival.com. Every cabin gets their own invoices. Each cabin can choose their own dining time and who they would like to sit with at dinner.

I say go for it- plan your reunion. Hey, out of your class I'm sure you will get at least 8 cabins. Thats all you need for a group! Have fun and good luck.

If you have more questions, ask away!

I have some questions...

1) How many people attended these reunions?

2) Is your High School near a port?

3) Do most of the people from your High School still live in the area?

4) Do the folks from you high school tend to have high incomes?

5) How do they handle the kids?

[quote name='terri910']You don't poll the entire class, you arrange for a "planning committee" -- put out the word that anyone interested in helping plan and organize the reunion meet at such-and-such a place and time. Then just the people that show up come to a decision.

I shouldn't think it would be any more or less difficult to plan a cruise reunion than to plan a reunion at a hotel banquet hall. You pick a date, you pick a place, you find out the cost, you let people know, and you pick a deadline by which reservations and $$$ must be in. Then people decide to attend, or not.

You might, though, as you say, get a slightly lower turnout, just because of the cost. One of the weekend cruises might be better attended, though, if your school was anywhere near a departure port city....[/quote]

.....this is what our committee did..........and they had a hard time getting people to agree on which restaurant (and cost of course) to use.....;)

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']I have some questions...

1) How many people attended these reunions?

2) Is your High School near a port?

3) Do most of the people from your High School still live in the area?

4) Do the folks from you high school tend to have high incomes?

5) How do they handle the kids?[/quote]

Not sure if these questions were geared to me or not...:confused:
If they are, I think you misunderstood my post. sorry I guess it wasnt clear.
I am a travel agent. So, these reunions were not MY reunions. They are reunions I have planned for other people.

But, to answer your questions the best I can:
1. varies
2. In some cases. In the case of the one I am doing now, the high school is in savannah and they are leaving JAX
3. No, generally, most of the classes I have worked with they live all over. IN the case of this reunion, I have one flying in from Hawaii with her family.
4. I have no idea about incomes.
5. Some people include their kids, some take the time to be alone with their spouse.

Since you did ask about high incomes,
That is the reason you make the reunion affordable.
Back to my example:
5 night cruise ~ the [B]TOTAL[/B] price is
$325 pp 1st and 2nd
$195 3rd and 4th

INCLUDES $100 OBC ( so gratuities are paid)
a few gifts
cocktail party
$25 reduced deposit and no other payments due until May of 2009. Final not until July 2009.
So, I say this is very affordable. When you can pay $25 and then save or pay monthly the rest over a period of time.

I just put together our 30yr reunion cruise and we have a great group travel agent. We acutally got a better deal then Carnival group sales could give us. If you would like her name--email me at [email]cwjeteagle@aol.com[/email] and can give you her information. I had 380 people in my class and as of now have 8 rooms booked. Kinda small but with 8 rooms booked you get the perks. I think with fuel prices and everything else high, it makes it hard for people to pay for a cruise and airline tickets. But I have alot of people who booked that very excited about coming and they are flying from the midwest to Galveston. I also found that alot of them did not book until like the last week. And we had 30 days to book. So you never know. Good Luck!

[quote name='bambidrummer']very interesting insite. I know we had 450 in our graduating class. I am sure even if 1/2 did not want to go because we did not like each other that would leave 250.[/quote]

I take it math wasn't a big subject in your high school..........

I actually have to admit that I had a blast at a 10 year class reunion. It just wasn't mine :)

I went to a private high school. I was a middlel class kid (with a handful of others) in a whoile school of rich kids. I wasn't in their league and they always let me know it.

Around senior year I started a job at a store in the mall. There I met a bunch of great friends from the local public high chool. Nice normal kids who didn't give a damn who your dad was or what he made a year.

Those became my high school buddies and several I am still close to today (27 years later)

When my 10 year reunion came along, my one friend from my actual school talks me into going. Not a bad turn out but it looked like a business conference. Guys and gals in business suits (reminded me of an old Robin Williams joke about Armani :)) playing "Who's doing better than who" and exchanging business cards . They had astring quartet for entertainment .Mind you this is only the 10 year. These people were only 27,28, and they were acting like old folks.

Seriously getting ready to leave when I notice in the other banquet room at the hall was the reunion for the public high school. They were jamming :). Great band playing, everyone up dancing and having a ball. The girls dressed to kill looking gorgeous.

I walk in , it was old home week. Stayed there all night, ended up leaveing with a gang of them and got home around dawn. (Just like when we were all in high school. *LOL*)

[quote name='beccadoby']
I am a travel agent. So, these reunions were not MY reunions. They are reunions I have planned for other people.

[/quote]

Yes, I thought they were your personal reunions. Thanks for the response, however.

Reunions are tough to get people to commit to during an evening... A cruise would be real hard.

Hey, op, go for it. The best thing about a ship is that everyone gets to do whatever they want. I can't think of a better group vacation. Hope it works out well for you. Let us know.

Archived