Clearing customs

seiffann

You will need your passport or birth certificate & driver's license. You will get the customs form to fill out on the last night of the cruise. You just fill out general info about yourself and list the items that you bought.

I am new to cruising, what do they do at customs? And where do they check? I am on Conquest, and will be in western caribbean. What paperwork ( if any) do I need?

seiffann,

On the last day of your cruise you'll receive a Customs Declaration form with your capers. Info you'll need to enter is what countries you visited, and how much you spent on board and at the ports for items you're bringing back with you. It's simple info.

They'll check your passports or other forms of ID and you'll be on your way. Sometimes they'll ask specific questions about purchases and some folks will have their luggage searched.

Your identification is for immigrations, not customs.

Immigrations is for people; customs is for goods.

They'll let you know what you'll need and when you'll need it. They'll also let you know what the customs limits are (regarding how much booze, cigs, $$ limits) on what you can bring home.

You can probably even find out the limits before you sail just with a Google search. I know the limits are higher if you're stopping in certain ports (ie, St Thomas). Check Carnival's FAQ section. I believe they have a duty-free allowance listing.

Your identification is for immigrations, not customs.

Immigrations is for people; customs is for goods.

And at the customs counter when you are getting off the conquest tehy will ask for your identification to compare to your customs form. So you will need either your passport or your Drivers license.

It's pretty simple and quick in Galveston Long line, but when you get within about 20 yards of the counter it splits into 8 lines and you fly through from there. As long as you don't say or do anythnig suspicious you are through with ease. Guy asked us if we were bringing any liquor and we said yes, 10 bottles. He said, I think you are only allowed 8. We said, really? they told us ten on board, he said ok, no problem. Never even checked our bags.

thanks everyone for replying so quickly. Now for another question, but not pertaining to this. How do I remove one of my cruiseclocks?

click on User CP on the upper left side of the screen, then click on edit signature. From there you should be able to delete whichever you want. Then click on save changes and you shuold be good to go.

Terri

And at the customs counter when you are getting off the conquest tehy will ask for your identification to compare to your customs form. So you will need either your passport or your Drivers license.

It's pretty simple and quick in Galveston Long line, but when you get within about 20 yards of the counter it splits into 8 lines and you fly through from there. As long as you don't say or do anythnig suspicious you are through with ease. Guy asked us if we were bringing any liquor and we said yes, 10 bottles. He said, I think you are only allowed 8. We said, really? they told us ten on board, he said ok, no problem. Never even checked our bags.

Just a common misconception here: You're allowed a certain dollar exemption amount per person (and quantity limits for alcohol and tobacco) without paying duties; but you can bring additional amounts, and pay the duties/taxes upon declaration. Just don't bring back mass quantities (like multiple cases of rum) that would imply that you're reselling it (it's a personal exemption, not an import license!), or anything illegal from the get-go (e.g., Cuban cigars, fresh meats, absinthe).

For further info, go to http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

When we went to Niagara Falls, Ontario a few years ago, we brought back six bottles of wine; we could bring back four on our exemptions, and the winery listed how much the duty would be on each bottle (something in the fifty cent range). When we declared them at the border, they waved us through. Guess he figured it wasn't worth the hassle to collect a buck.

I have a question.. Just got off Inspiration and bought one bottle of rum. On the last night they gave us the customs form to fill ut. They kept telling us to get up at 6 a.m. so we could declare what we bought as in booze etc. I overslept and didn't make it so I just packed the rum and didn't get checked. So for future cruises if I want to buy alcohol.. I am going to have to wake up in the wee hours of the last day to declare it no matter if I am over the allowed limit or not? Also how often do they search luggage? We are looking at booking the Glory out of Port Canaveral.. Thanks!

Just a little bit of advice about going through customs. I know some other people who have had this same problem.

On the Elation two years ago, I was cruising solo and was questioned there in Miami about who I was traveling with. I was asked this about 5 times by the agent. He then made some marks on my customs card with his Sharpie and sent me over behind the black curtains. While there I was questioned repeatedly about what I had purchased and then required to list every item I purchased on the back of my customs card. Then after about 20 minutes the agent asked me about my watch. I have a Rolex and was wearing it at the time. I have had it for years and always wear it. They thought I had purchased it on the cruise and was not trying to claim it. That is what the whole situation was about. After he examined my watch and noticed that it was not brand new and had some scratches on the bottom of the band he laughed and apologized and sent me on my way. I have only had this happen once and have worn it for numerous cruises.

I have encountered others who have been questioned about jewelry they were wearing through customs as well.

Just a little bit of advice about going through customs. I know some other people who have had this same problem.

On the Elation two years ago, I was cruising solo and was questioned there in Miami about who I was traveling with. I was asked this about 5 times by the agent. He then made some marks on my customs card with his Sharpie and sent me over behind the black curtains. While there I was questioned repeatedly about what I had purchased and then required to list every item I purchased on the back of my customs card. Then after about 20 minutes the agent asked me about my watch. I have a Rolex and was wearing it at the time. I have had it for years and always wear it. They thought I had purchased it on the cruise and was not trying to claim it. That is what the whole situation was about. After he examined my watch and noticed that it was not brand new and had some scratches on the bottom of the band he laughed and apologized and sent me on my way. I have only had this happen once and have worn it for numerous cruises.

I have encountered others who have been questioned about jewelry they were wearing through customs as well.

I carry a copy of the insurance policy (page) with my Rolex listed in the event they ask. They have only asked once and it was not a big deal.

Archived