Appropriate clothes for kids touring churches, etc.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I didn't have any luck with the search feature. We're leaving on a Med cruise next month. We have private tours arranged in Rome, Florence and Naples. We will undoubtedly visit several churches, including St. Peter's, etc. I've read about the dress code stating no skirts above the knees and no bare shoulders. I'm just wondering about my 7 year old DD. She loves to wear "skorts" everywhere, but they are definitely above the knee. Do I need to make her wear long pants or a longer skirt/dress? Thanks for your help.:)

--Junglejane

I'm glad you asked this question because I was just going to wing it with my kids (ages 13 & 14, boy & girl). After hearing how hot it is, and we live in the deep south, I can't imagine making them wear pants. I was hoping the no shorts thing might only apply to the adults. A friend of my DH just came back and he said no one was wearing shorts around Europe. Now, he didn't specify what children were wearing. Anxious to hear some answers from seasoned European travelers.

Hi guys. I am hardly a fashion expert but we have traveled with our two children (now 5 and 6). Last summer, we were in Europe for five weeks with them and toured many a church. Our son (5 at the time) wore pants and a collared shirt for all churches/ daughter (4) wore dresses that hit just past the knee (they were sleeveless but covered her shoulders). I don't recall seeing any shorts but don't pay close attention to what others are wearing. We wanted to be respectful and 'blend in' somewhat (before my southern accent became evident). We are traveling for the summer this year and plan to pack (for our son) primarily pants and collared shirts (with a few shorts and t-shirts thrown in); for our daughter, we plan to pack dresses, peasant style skirts with mix and match tops, and a few shorts. We'll pack a jacket and tie for our son for formal night and a few dresses that can go up or down for our daughter. I am most worried about our passing muster on the cruise line formal nights than in Europe. Seems like that is more of a black hole for us but we aren't cruise veterans. Hope this helps somewhat. Have a wonderful trip.

I am going to go contrary to most opinions and probably invite some flames. But based on a little Italy travel experience (we just returned from our most recent trip this past Monday) here is the reality vs. some common myths. The Vatican does enforce a dress code (no shorts, covered shoulders, etc) and you should dress appropriate to this location. As to the rest of Italy, kids and adults can wear nearly anything as long as its not ridiculous. I personally have often worn shorts into many churches without even a glance. Capris would certainly be fine. Dress comfortably for the weather. As to the current dress in Italy, its sad to say that they have now cast aside their previous great dressing and have adopted an American habit. The uniform in Italy is jeans. We are talking jeans for all ages. As to footware, too many are now wearing sneakers (too bad since they have such great shoes). We have even seen some of the seniors wearing jeans. Most of the jeans are not even decent brands, but we did spot a pair of torn jeans on Capri that were sale for a mere 600 Euros :)

Hank

We have been to Europe with the kids before, and found that in Italy the dress code is enforced in all churches. One way around it for girls is to carry a shawl in your backpack that you can wrap around your waist or drape over your shoulders. My husband also wore very long shorts (he hates it that I call them "men's capris" and he had no problems. Just keep it below the knees, and you won't have a problem.

We have been to Europe with the kids before, and found that in Italy the dress code is enforced in all churches. One way around it for girls is to carry a shawl in your backpack that you can wrap around your waist or drape over your shoulders. My husband also wore very long shorts (he hates it that I call them "men's capris" and he had no problems. Just keep it below the knees, and you won't have a problem.

I have heard these "dress code" stories for years. Yet, after about a dozen trips to Italy (many of those trips were for weeks) and visiting churches from Sicily to Venice, we have never had a problem with any dress code (the Vatican is an exception). In fact, we just returned from Italy 2 days ago where we probably walked into more than a dozen churches...and I was wearing shorts (about Bermuda length). Do most Italians wear shorts? No! Do they care if you wear shorts? No! Now, lets ask the real important question. Do Italians wear socks with their sandals (flip flops are becoming even more popular in Italy these days). Never! Do Americans wear socks with their sandals? Yes! And we have sat in many an outdoor cafe and laughed along with them as they saw tourists wearing socks with sandals. And please please please, if you are a man and wearing shorts please do not wear black dress shoes with black socks (just saw an English guy doing this on Saturday in Cortona! Fashion is a lot of fun and it does spoil the atmosphere when its taken too serious. After all, we now live in a world where adults buy torn jeans for $1000! Now, if all this makes you uncomfortable you could wear a long wool dress with ugly laced black boots and a long sleeve wool sweater to go into churches (have also seen this in Rome on a hot summer day). By the way, if your hubby is wearing "capris" why does he not like the label. That is what they are called and they seem to be quite popular this year.

Hank

P.S. This topic is always lots of fun. Too many folks taking themselves too serious.

I am from Alabama (go ahead poke fun about the paved streets, yes they are paved and we have beautiful beaches) and we would definitely laugh at anyone wearing socks with sandals! Sorry, it's pretty funny looking. But back to the subject at hand....shorts in Italy. My son (he's almost 13 and small for his age) wears long shorts (not droopy, show your you-know-what) and I was hoping that he could maybe get away with those and polo shirts for every day attire. Maybe? Am i stressing over something silly? We don't want to be turned away at the churches over this.

I have a 12-yr-old son and we are going with the pants that zip off into shorts. That way we won't have to worry because he can be wearing pants in a matter of minutes! (Are you familiar with what I'm talking about?)

Most churches post a dress code, as stated here, the Vatican is very strict. I have seen them turn people away.

Most other churches are less formal. If your shorts are knee or near knee length they will let you in. If you have a tank top with wide straps, 2" or so, they will most likely let you in. If you are wearing spaghetti straps and mini skirt...someone is likely to ask you to leave or not enter.

If the skort is longer it will probably be ok in most places,just not the Vatican. Does she have any skorts that are close to knee length? If not, then how about some bermuda shorts?

kristy

Thanks for all the responses. My 7 year old hates shorts, which is why she wears skorts to school every day. I'm concerned that pants will be too hot. How about a sundress that reaches her knees, with a little "shrug" to cover her shoulders? Will that work?

--Junglejane

Thanks for all the responses. My 7 year old hates shorts, which is why she wears skorts to school every day. I'm concerned that pants will be too hot. How about a sundress that reaches her knees, with a little "shrug" to cover her shoulders? Will that work?

--Junglejane

As long as the skirt reaches her knees and there is not a lot of skin showing in the shoulder area I believe that will be fine. When I was a little girl and went on a church tour with my little sister (she was 5), my parents and grandparents they did indeed find my little sis's short skirt , too short. Fortuneately they had some funky looking canvas bag type "skirt" (really ATTRACTIVE, I can tell you!:eek: ) that she could put over her knees. Looked ridiculous but that way she could get into the church! At the time we thought it was ridiculous for a five year old, but rules are rules... An alternative might be some cute fashionable capris. That is what I wore last year.

I have heard these "dress code" stories for years. Yet, after about a dozen trips to Italy (many of those trips were for weeks) and visiting churches from Sicily to Venice, we have never had a problem with any dress code (the Vatican is an exception). In fact, we just returned from Italy 2 days ago where we probably walked into more than a dozen churches...and I was wearing shorts (about Bermuda length). Do most Italians wear shorts? No! Do they care if you wear shorts? No! Now, lets ask the real important question. Do Italians wear socks with their sandals (flip flops are becoming even more popular in Italy these days). Never! Do Americans wear socks with their sandals? Yes! And we have sat in many an outdoor cafe and laughed along with them as they saw tourists wearing socks with sandals. And please please please, if you are a man and wearing shorts please do not wear black dress shoes with black socks (just saw an English guy doing this on Saturday in Cortona! Fashion is a lot of fun and it does spoil the atmosphere when its taken too serious. After all, we now live in a world where adults buy torn jeans for $1000! Now, if all this makes you uncomfortable you could wear a long wool dress with ugly laced black boots and a long sleeve wool sweater to go into churches (have also seen this in Rome on a hot summer day). By the way, if your hubby is wearing "capris" why does he not like the label. That is what they are called and they seem to be quite popular this year.

Hank

P.S. This topic is always lots of fun. Too many folks taking themselves too serious.

all exact what u say. the men's capri lenght trousers ( but also for woman), here are called PINOCCHIETTO.

yes, I did buy some of the zip off pants for my 12 yr old son. But he can't wear them every day so I was going to let him wear them in Rome. They even have some for women, but my "fashion expert" 14 yr old daughter would not be caught dead in them. I have her covered, though, because she loves dresses and we can bring a sweater in the backpack for the bare shoulders.

Thanks again everybody. Today I went to GapKids and got her a nice sundress that reaches past her knees with a matching shrug, and also a cute floral ruffle skirt that she can wear with a short sleeve top. Everything was cotton and even on sale. (She vetoed all the capris and pants.) Now I just need to tackle shoes. My kids like to live in Crocs, but besides looking ugly they don't provide much support so next on the agenda is good walking shoes.

Four weeks from today we'll be on the plane to Venice!:)

--Junglejane

Archived