Help with Villefranche on Sunday

I am hoping someone out there can give me specific instructions of how to take the train to Villefranche to Monte Carlo to Eze to Nice and then back to the port in Villefranche. We will be in port on a Sunday, so I am afraid this will alter the train schedule. We have been before and simply took the train over to Nice and back. This time I would like to see Monaco, Monte Carlo, Eze and then if we have enough time, we could go back to Nice. If someone could give me the specific train schedule for this route, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I cannot speak to the current train schedule, but they do run some trains on Sundays (more during the busy summer season). However, keep in mind that much of Monte Carlo, Nice and many other places are closed on Sundays. In Monte Carlo you will find all the good shops closed as tight as a drum,,,although those catering to tourists (and selling the junk from China, Indonesia, etc) will be open. Our favorite place for Sundays in that region is St Paul de Vence where everything is open (its an artsy town whose biggest day is Sundays). The closer village of Eze will also have most of its art galleries and shops open on Sunday.

Hank

Thank you for the information Hank. Would you by chance know which train to take to St. Paul's from Villefranche? As I mentioned I am familar with the area, but only went to Nice last time. My DH and I never say a cross word to each other, but the one time we did, it was over missing the train in Villefranche, so I am just trying to make sure that we do not make the mistake again :p

Getting to St Paul de Vence is not a particularly easy thing unless you have a car. But, it can be done. Just take the train from Villefranche (its primarily a single train line that spans the entire coast from Menton to Cannes and beyond) in the direction of Nice (this would be towards your left as you face inland). Stay on this train past Nice, and than the Nice Cote d'Azur airport and get off at the Cagnes sur Mer stop. From here you must cross the street and wait for the local bus that goes to St Paul de Vence (they usually run every 30 to 45 min) or you could try to negotiate a deal with a taxi. The bus ride is about 15 min from Cagnes sur Mer. That local bus actually starts its run from the Nice bus station, but most find it easier to pick it up at Cagnes sur Mer. Despite some cries to the contrary, many of the best spots in France and Europe are not easily accessible by trains (which is why we love to have a car when in Europe). Of course trying to rent a car on Sundays is nearly impossible in Italy and France except at airports. We also recently had to laugh when we recently tendered into Cannes (I think it was on April 29) and there was not a single taxi waiting for cruise passengers. Some on our tender were a bit shocked, but the reality is that the local taxi drivers had better things to do (probably having their morning coffee) than wait for mere cruise ship passengers. We took a nice romantic stroll through downtown Cannes to our rental car dealer (about a 1 mile walk) and never saw a single taxi in town. As to saying cross words to ones' spouse, I do confess to getting frustrated with my wife's map reading when I am driving. When I sometimes ask her where we are (she has the map on her lap) her common response is: "how can I find our location on the map if I do not know where we are?" We finally solved that problem by buying a good portable GPS system.

Hank

Thank you Susan. I will study the schedule before we leave so that we do not miss the train again like we did last time.

Hank, it sounds like your wife is a very wise lady!

Thank you again for the help. I appreciate it.

We caught the train from Villefranche to Cagnes sur Mer - easy peasy......we thought!! Til we got there to find no taxis. We tried to phone a cab but needed a phone card and the shop was closed. We found the bus stop and the bus sailed past full. It was Sunday:mad: We finished up waiting (a long time) for the train back to Villefranche without seeing anything!!:(

Sandy, I think you might just find your beach right in Villefranche. The nice thing is that its beach has real sand (as opposed to the rocks found on many European beaches including Nice).

Hank

Archived