Which train? Ship is set to leave at 4pm.

Hi Everyone! Just wondering if someone could help us out here since this is our first cruise. We are taking the train into NYC on the 25th (Dawn to Bermuda) and can either get into Grand Central at 10:40am or 12:40pm. Looking for some input on which we should do and why. No idea how long a taxi trip it will be to the pier either. Any ideas? I would rather do the one that gets in at 12:40pm, but I don't want to be late either. Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi Everyone! Just wondering if someone could help us out here since this is our first cruise. We are taking the train into NYC on the 25th (Dawn to Bermuda) and can either get into Grand Central at 10:40am or 12:40pm. Looking for some input on which we should do and why. No idea how long a taxi trip it will be to the pier either. Any ideas? I would rather do the one that gets in at 12:40pm, but I don't want to be late either. Thoughts? Thanks!

I would choose the earlier train. We like to be among the first to board the ship. Since boarding typically starts around 11 to 11:30 am the earlier train will be "just right."

I would rather do the early train as well. It's just me, but I like to be in the port city as early as possible, and really prefer to spend the night before the cruise there. It also makes it feel like the vacation starts sooner, and I'm all for that!

You should be fine with either. Though we have never travelled through Grand Cenral station we have taken the train to Penn station many times. I realize Grand Central is further away put the distance is not that great. We usually like to arrive at the pier early, but we do find you end up sitting around waiting. Once we took a train that came in at 1:30. We immediately took a cab, were at the pier before 2 and were processed and aboard before 2:30. We could go straight to out cabins, and unload our carry on. It worked for us. Enjoy your cruise.

I could not find where you are traveling from. I subscribe to the "arrive a day early" school of thought. It is not unusual for Amtrak to have delays & problems in the Northeast Corridor..I would come in a day early,relax and take a taxi to the pier if you have that option..otherwise..err on the side of caution and leave early..

We're just coming from CT, taking Metro-North, a little under 2 hour train ride. Unfortunately, going into the city for Saturday night isn't an option as we have 2 girls (3 years old and 5 months) and I'm already worried about missing them the 7 nights I will be away! I couldn't stand another! I guess we will probably try to make the earlier train, but does anyone see a problem with the later one if we get tied up? That wouldn't make us too late, would it?

The taxi in traffic could take up to 30 minutes. Without traffic you'd be there in 15 minutes or so. You will be fine on either train to GCT. Have a great trip! We are doing that cruise in August. Look forward to hearing your feedback when you come home!

We're just coming from CT, taking Metro-North, a little under 2 hour train ride. Unfortunately, going into the city for Saturday night isn't an option as we have 2 girls (3 years old and 5 months) and I'm already worried about missing them the 7 nights I will be away! I couldn't stand another! I guess we will probably try to make the earlier train, but does anyone see a problem with the later one if we get tied up? That wouldn't make us too late, would it?

'Too late' means you miss the boat. :D

Why take any risk - take the early train.

I guess I'm a worry wort but the later train would make me nervous. Any problems with the trains and that 2 hour trip could turn into a 4 hour or longer trip. And if that happens, you could very well miss the ship. Take the early train and if something goes wrong, you have some cushion time. And if nothing goes wrong, you will board sooner and your vacation will get off to an early start!

We have taken the train in twice from Ct, just grab a cab outside of GCS and you will be there in 15 minutes. No need to go in a day early, I would take the earlier train in only because Iwant to get on board as soon as possible! You have plenty of time to get in even if you take the later train, since you are going in on a weekend you don't need to worry about the trains or traffic. Have a great time!!

it is always better to sit at the pier for 30 minutes than to be anxious due to a late arriving train--and the later train may have you arriving with many people-which adds to lines and more stress--we arrived in nyc for the Gem in Jan at 11 AM and waited in the lounge --but thats ok with me

My thoughts is to take the earlier train and hopefully the ship will start boarding at 12 or so. Your vacation will start earlier. I also agree with the previous recommendation and arrive the day prior and spend some time in NYC if possible.

Archived