Handicap parking at Bayonne

gogispu

You might want to try a search on this; I've seen others say it's right before luggage dropoff (or right after). I got the impression it's very close.

I paid attention because my dad's driving us too and he has handicapped tags.

It's really close. I used it in February with my mom. When you get to the port, there is a long dropoff area covered by a tent. We went to the end of the tent, but tell the guy that you have a handicapped dropoff and he will direct you to the middle which is close to the doors. I got an attendent, got my mom into a wheelchair, gave the bags to the porter, and left our carry on luggage (we had a suitcase full of oxygen and a portable oxygen concentrator) as well as small carryons. The parking was the very first right you could make and the handicapped parking was the first set of spaces. It was a quick walk back (a short block) to the chaos. My mother was already through the security. We arrived at 11 am. People were still leaving the ship, but many folks had arrived for the next cruise. By getting a wheelchair, we got the VIP treatment and were on one of the first buses to the ship. Within the hour we were sitting in the Windjammer Cafe eating lunch. Although a bit confusing at first, it was one of the easiest boardings we have ever done. It would have been quicker, but we had to wait until they were ready to board the ship.

When we got off, we again had a wheelchair and an attendent. I found the luggage, got a porter, and they took us directly to the car, which was wonderful. I tipped them generously. Because the parking is beyond the dropoff chaos, we were able to quickly escape out of the port. It took a 1/2 hour to get off the ship after our color was called. In another hour we were home.

I recommend it highly. The parking and tips are worth every penny. No more flying to Puerto Rico for us. But I think you must get there early.

Being patient and being early is the secret to the cruise. If you go to the ice show, they seat the handicapped folks a half hour ahead, so you must be there then. If your mom doesn't normally use a wheelchair (my mom doesn't), try to get her to use one for embarking and disembarking for her protection. I find people are often inattentive unless you have something like a wheelchair, walker, or scooter. Inattentive people with rolling luggage can be really dangerous!

Archived