Considering Royal Princess May 05 Rome...

sueceecat

We are thinking about booking this- I understand it is last voyage for Royal Princess? Anyone been on this ship or thisitinerary - Rome to London- who wants to share? Your experience would be appreciated. This would be our third and longest cruise- just got back from Diamond and loved it.... Thanks!!!

You are correct... it's the last voyage for the Royal Princess before she is turned over to P&O. I've sailed on her twice before and we're on her Manaus > Rome itinerary, the one before you're considering.

We think she's a great ship -- probably a bit worn in spots but that doesn't detract from the cruise for me. It's a small ship with one dining room (Traditional - only) but great, personal service. The cabins are a bit small and outdated by today's standards but the bathroom is full-sized with a real tub.

There are no inside cabins on the Royal Princess and there aren't a lot of balconies. But you'll find that sailing on the Royal is a cruising experience that can't be replaced.

We did the Rome to London cruise on the Royal in May 2004. I thought it was outstanding. We enjoyed our obstructed view cabin, the food was delicious, our steward was outstanding. This is a very port intensive cruise with lots to do in all the ports. We were tired most evenings so did not go to many shows but did enjoy those we saw. Our favorite ports were Gibraltar, Casablanca and LeHavre. I wrote a review here on cc and somehow it is labeled as being caribbean rather than europe but it is under Royal Princess. The only thing we would have done differently is not book our pre and post cruise stays through Princess. The hotel in London (Churchill Hyatt) was OK but the transfer was poor. In Rome we stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's and it was overpriced for a poorly maintained room and very poor front desk service. I highly recommend taking a private tour with John Flaherty ([url]www.handmaidtours.com[/url]) if you are interested in the Normandy beaches. He is excellent.

We did London to Rome on 9/4/04. Got our own air & flew into London on 9/1; stayed at Waldorf Hilton in West End to be near plays. If we did it again I'd stay nearer Trafalgar Square (if the price were right). Ship was fine (we took it in summer of '03 to Norway & it didn't change much since then); food was fine; service was very good. Ports were intensive - if you chose to make them that way. We went to Honfleur instead of Paris since it was our 1st day after leaving London and we loved it. In fact, we'd go back there again we enjoyed its laid backness and picturesque so much. Some folks who went to Paris said it wasn't worth it b'c it was almost just a drive by! In Vigo we got a private tour w/2 other couples to Santiago de Compostella. It was nice but we don't need to return. We took the ship's tour of Portugal since it was so reasonable; stuff to see but don't need to return. Wished the sail in /out wasn't fogged in so much! Gibraltar was like London only with monkeys (and HEAT). It was 96F the day we visited. Casablanca was dirty - we took Princess tour to Rabat - the highlight was the mausoleum. Florence was my favorite; I want to go back! Rome was like many other big cities... only with ruins and the Vatican and statues all over. If you'd like a copy of my journal notes, email me and I'll send you the full 29 page journal!

any questions?

Archived