Passports witheld on Carnival Destiny.

newbie21

yst347, I am very comfortable with being seen to be ignorant, which I was. It was my first cruise, and I have never visited the USA. This is why I first posted, to gain some understanding.

If a criminal, with intent, wanted to get into the USA via this method (boarding from one the other islands and getting off at San Juan), US Customs would quickly stop them on-shore, surely. Those of us who did not want to get off at San Juan would stay on the ship. Not much use to the criminal, I guess.

Newbie, I read your question and to be honest I don't know if the cruiselines have the right or not, but I would like to address your other concern. I would suggest you make copies of your passport to have on your person in case you get left behind in a port. It certainly will help. If the ship sinks, well we are all screwed. Most of us won't need a passport anymore.

[quote name='Ykgorbie']I know I would always want mine with me....what is the reason for them keeping them?[/QUOTE]
I've done a google search but haven't come up with a firm answer. Why didn't the OP or any of his group ask this question at the Purser's Desk if it caused him such concern?

[quote name='Ms Belvedere']I've done a google search but haven't come up with a firm answer. Why didn't the OP or any of his group ask this question at the Purser's Desk if it caused him such concern?[/quote]

I was thinking that perhaps that is a way to see if there are any warrants/whatever's on the foreign cruiser. But then they have their Passport number and information when they fill our their Fun Pass. It does seem strange to single a a non US country out as Carnival is not what I would call "American". The ships are all built in another country then hire thousands of non Americans. Maybe it is just something they have done for years and years and they just do it. No real reason for them to do it as we are in an electronic world now and there are no secrets out there any more.

[quote name='Pegs222'][COLOR="Red"]I was thinking that perhaps that is a way to see if there are any warrants/whatever's on the foreign cruiser.[/COLOR] But then they have their Passport number and information when they fill our their Fun Pass. It does seem strange to single a a non US country out as Carnival is not what I would call "American". The ships are all built in another country then hire thousands of non Americans. Maybe it is just something they have done for years and years and they just do it. No real reason for them to do it as we are in an electronic world now and there are no secrets out there any more.[/QUOTE]

That could be it Peg, I did read that's the reason that foreign hotels hold Americans' Passports; they turn the info into the local police to check for warrants. You're right about the "no secrets", too. ;)

[quote name='Ms Belvedere']That could be it Peg, I did read that's the reason that foreign hotels hold Americans' Passports; they turn the info into the local police to check for warrants. You're right about the "no secrets", too. ;)[/quote]

Well, when they take my Passport in London and Rome, I will ask them why and report back. Thankfully, at least until this moment :eek:, I have led a pretty boring life.

[quote name='Pegs222']Well, when they take my Passport in London and Rome, I will ask them why and report back. Thankfully, at least until this moment :eek:, [COLOR="Red"]I have led a pretty boring life.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Sometimes that's for the best, or maybe you just never got caught? LOL

[quote name='bobcan']Canadians are not required to surrender passports by Carnival and we are not U.S. citizens.

bob[/quote]
Because we like you:D Oh, and the US and Canada share info on bad people now;)

They used to as another poster stated.

I don't see what the OP's concern is. They won't need the passport on the ship and it will be safe with the cruise line. What do they care if it is in their posession or not?

One thing taking the passport does is to ensure the passenger does not decide to end the cruise early in a different port for one reason or another.

Passengers are not scrutinized individually when arriving by cruise ship, as they would be when arriving by air, so someone could enter a country and remain there without being screened.

I know US Citizens get to keep the passport and could do the same thing, but we usually board in the same country as our passport so it is not as big a deal when we return home. Foreigners have to be more carefully controlled.

[quote name='Pegs222']Well, when they take my Passport in London and Rome, I will ask them why and report back. Thankfully, at least until this moment :eek:, I have led a pretty boring life.[/quote]

They didn't take mine in Rome and London in '05 and '07. But, when researching before I went, I read it was a real posibility.

Ms Belvedere, I wasn't that concerned at the time, I merely raised this question here in this forum after the event, for clarification.

On embarkation, Destiny staff asked for our passports. Naturally we handed them over without question. When mine was not returned, I simply said, "Where is my passport?". The staff, very pleasant young ladies, said, "Oh, we keep it until after San Juan." One of our group who had been on the cruise three times before said, "They do that", and turned away. End of conversation as far as he was concerned, it seemed. Naurally I made no further enquiries, we wanted to get on and have our lunch!

On the ship during the cruise, when we brought up the subject in conversation, it was the British passengers who were on a package from the UK, staying in Barbados and pulling the cruise in, who had also noticed this procedure and wondered why.

I have learnt by experience, I will know next time, and if I am in company with newbies I shall tell them beforehand. I am also going to pay a visit to out travel agent here in Barbados and ask them if they knew about this. I suspect that even if they did, they might not be forthcoming to anyone who does not ask, as they might lose a customer!

[quote name='Pegs222']They have answered your questions in this thread and the other one you put up. What more information do you need? The US can pull your Passport if they want, end of discussion. How much plainer can that be? It is not personal. They have every right to do this. How many times and or ways are you going to ask the same question?

For someone that [B]"I say I had a great time[/B]" you sure complain a lot.[/quote]

The US did not pull a passport Carnival did.

[quote name='arm2msm']The US did not pull a passport Carnival did.[/quote]

While this statement is certainly true, Carnival isn't in the habit of inflicting grief on their customers just for the fun of it. While I plead ignorance as to why the passports were held I feel quite certain it was done at the behest of our government.

[quote name='arm2msm']The US did not pull a passport Carnival did.[/quote]

Carnival collected them because they were told to.......probably to gather and verify the immigration information......and possibly photocopy the information.......so it would be available to the authorities when then sailed into the country requiring the info.

They didn't take my wife's passport or her US alien resident card when we boarded Conquest last September, and we even went through the non-citizen check in line at the Galveston terminal. Perhaps the policy is either inconsistently enforced, only for certain stops, or US alien residents are considered the "same" as US citizens for that sort of thing?

dawyv, I suspect they didn't take your wife's passport because she is a RESIDENT alien, not a tourist. As for why they keep them, I suspect they are required to make a list of non-US citizens for immigration purposes in San Juan, or whatever US port the cruise terminates in. When immigration comes on board, they look at that list. Or perhaps they have a copy already. It would be easier to have all the passports at hand in case they want to inspect one...they don't have to page that passenger to bring his/her passport, therefore delaying all others waiting to disembark. In the case of passengers not disembarking, such as the OP, they might have to page multiple times or send the cabin steward or some other personnel to the cabin, as they might be sleeping in...EM

[quote name='Pegs222']Is this the same whiner that did not want to go on any excursions but "they" had the gall to pull him off "his" ship?

Your right they take all non US pax Passports, just the thing they do.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Not all the time they don't. :) I've only had it happen about 3 times out of 10 cruises (I'm Canadian). If I remember right, it happened on the Carnival Imagination in 2003, the Carnival Victory 2004 and Celebrity's Zenith in 2005. On the Zenith, they collected American passports as well (we were going to Bermuda).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]It's a real pain when they do it but I understand why they do it and it's really no big deal at all. I would never make such a fuss about it as newbie21 is doing. :([/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='newbie21']My question in this thread still has not been answered. Let me add a little more from my British Passport:

"This passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom and may be withdrawn at any time. It should not be tampered with or passed to an unauthorised person."

So my question is, do Carnival have that authorisation from Her Majesty's Government? I guess they do, but perhaps I should write to Carnival for documentary confirmation of their application to Her Majesty's Government for authorisation, and confirmation of its approval.

Or perhaps the British Government do not give a damn either. Ah well, such is life! Happy sailing![/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Yes actualy, your question was answered. :) Pegs222 said: The US can pull your Passport if they want, end of discussion.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]What he/she is saying in other words, is that yes, Carnival is authorized to do this. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I'm Canadian and have had this happen as well. It's really not a big deal in my opinion. :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]It is the US Government that orders Carnival to do this, NOT the British Government. Remember, the Carnival Destiny is an American cruise ship sailing for an American cruise line.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived