Help with Oosterdam staterooms

morriscats

DH and I have some time after Christmas and found Oosterdam sailing to Mexico is exactly the time frame we need. We have never sailed HAL. Most recently we have sailed on Princess and Celebrity. We need a balcony and we prefer aft. Looks like that will be hard to find. Can anyone give me some pointers on good locations. There are 2 balcony rooms - VB4178 and 4183. Are these good with a good size balcony? Any info is greatly appreciated. We prefer to be on a deck where there is no noise from above or below. Also does HAL have anytime dining? Thanks in advance.

I was on the Oosterdam in February of this year to the Mexican Riviera and had an aft corner cabin on the deck right above the one you are considering - SC5187. It is a much larger cabin and the deck was HUGE. That said, from the deck plan, it appears that your veranda would not be quite as deep as the one we had but it should be deeper than the ones on the side and you should like it.

We didn't notice any noise from the ship or anything else - we loved the aft cabin and will try to get one on our next cruise. We also loved the Oosterdam - the crew was extremely friendly and attentive.

Yes, they have anytime dining.

Have a wonderful cruise. By the way, if you like massages, the Aroma Spa in Mazatlan is very good - and inexpensive ($25 for an hour massage).

Here is a link to their website http://www.aromaspa.ws/Home_Page.php

Don't freak out at the prices, they are in Pesos which are approximately 10 to the dollar. Although I don't think it is absolutely necessary, I phoned them and made an appointment.

Thanks all, I still have a question about VB4178 and 4183. On the deck plans I see no balcony dividers. Are these balconys in fact private or are you sharing with a walkway or something?

Yes, there are dividers between each verandah. You can see balconies above and below you, but not to the side, unless you (and an agreeable party in the next cabin) have them open a narrow passage between them. In the photo, it appears that your entire balcony is visible from above, but there actually is some overhang that allows a little privacy from above.

Aft.jpg.e3c6f098d3b7e3bae5e29cc0d7d87937.jpg

DH and I have some time after Christmas and found Oosterdam sailing to Mexico is exactly the time frame we need. We have never sailed HAL. Most recently we have sailed on Princess and Celebrity. We need a balcony and we prefer aft. Looks like that will be hard to find. Can anyone give me some pointers on good locations. There are 2 balcony rooms - VB4178 and 4183. Are these good with a good size balcony? Any info is greatly appreciated. We prefer to be on a deck where there is no noise from above or below. Also does HAL have anytime dining? Thanks in advance.

aft balconies on 5 are fully covered...but nice and large (deep). also, the deck furniture is different on 5 than on lower aft decks. we had a VA aft cabin this April, and our deck furniture included two chaises, two chairs, a small table and a large ottaman. The deck furniture below us was plastic, while ours was rattan with nice, thick cushions. and yes, we could view people on their balconies below us...but we had total privacy.

What decks are in the picture? If I want a deck with the most sun, should I take deck 4, 7 or 8? I think the pool is above 8 so I am not thrilled about that. I don't want 5 because after the refurb it will be completely covered. Does deck 4 or 7 have the larger and sunnier balcony? Do any of the side cabins have uncovered balconies? Are they tiered like Princess or straight and therefore totally covered. This will be my first time on HAL and I am unfamiliar with the ships.

Archived